Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take a poll of people who own the new 581 series Mini 14. This is for the Mini 14 only. (Not for the Mini 30.)

How many rounds have you fired?

Has your firing pin broke?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 581 serIes model 5858 stainless Mini-14 with the factory laminate stock.

1000 rounds down range so far. A mix of Remington, Federal, Herter's, Tula, Bear, and surplus ammo. Different bullet weights.

Mine works well with the 30 Round Thermold magazines. I tried one and it worked really well. Then I got a deal on some for 3 for $22, so I bought 9 more. All 10 of them have worked just as well as my factory 30 rd and factory 5 rd magazines.

Nothing has broken on my Mini-14. I have had no problems at all and I have no complaints.

It's a great little rifle. I am not going to do anything to it but shoot it.

A lot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own a stainless 582 with approximately 750 rounds through it. 3 trips back to the factory. 2 times for FTE, once for a broken firing in a newly installed bolt. Seems correct now but my faith is definitely shaken.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own a stainless 582 with approximately 750 rounds through it. 3 trips back to the factory. 2 times for FTE, once for a broken firing in a newly installed bolt. Seems correct now but my faith is definitely shaken.
How did the firing pin break? Was it Berdan primers? My stainless 582 has been 100 % so far.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Over a thousand rounds shot. Variety of steel and brass. Some issues with ejecting steel coated Tulammo until I learned to clean the chamber. No other issues. Great gun!

·
Registered
317 Posts
About 750 rounds thru mine (mostly Lake City 62 gr. brass).
Using Ruger factory mags.
No FTF or FTE no broken firing pin.
I guess the only thing broke is me.:lol:

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Over 1000 fired thru my target model, no issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
3000+ rounds through my 581. Assorted factory brass ammo only. Firing pin is holding up well but the ejector has worn a hole through the back side of the bolt exposing the firing pin channel. A trip to Ruger is forthcoming.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
No breakeages, I've got a 581 & a 582 series Tac. models. Probably 650 through the 581 and 3-400 through the 582 series. Replaced the rear sights with TechSights because I couldn't get enough windage to zero either of them (shot sligtly to the left - now dead on with TechSights). But back to the topic, I just got some of the steel cased Hornady match 52 grain bthp rounds at Dick's (buy one get one 1/2 price sale) though I haven't fired any of it yet. 'Till this point I've fired only BVAC brass cased 55 grain .223 through them.

Alternately, I've never broken anything on ANY of my firearms in 20+ years of shooting them. I've had multiple M16A1, A2 and M4 varriants in the Army, I've got a piston M4 at work now, a Sig. 226 (.40) for on duty, 239 off duty, Remington 870 on duty, Mossberg 590 at home, Marlin XT-22 (lr), Marlin 882 (.22 win-mag) and a Sig. Mosquito. The only thing I've messed up on any of them is the finish on the Marlin when I tried to cold-blue a scratch and really messed up the finish (it's out getting reblued as I write).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Somewhere around 1000 fired from my 581 Ranch, all U.S brass.

No issues so far!

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I had a 580 Series Mini-14 that broke the firing pin with under 200 rounds through it. (Boxer Primed, Brass Ammo.)

Ruger forced me to send it back to them so they could put a new pin in it rather than sending me one so I could have it done. Refused to sell me a extra bolt with a fitted pin also. I posted places telling people the only way I could think of that ruger would do this is to say you misplaced the bolt and now you can't use your gun. I'm sure they'd do it then.

My AC-556 (built in 1984), has fired more round than I can count, has NEVER broken a part. It was only sent back to Ruger Once, back in 2008ish or 2009. Ruger put a new barrel, and a new bolt assembly in it. Guess the round count was taking its toll on those parts. (Haven't shot but maybe 500 rounds out of it since then). Ruger did all the replacements for free.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a 580 Series Mini-14 that broke the firing pin with under 200 rounds through it. (Boxer Primed, Brass Ammo.)

Ruger forced me to send it back to them so they could put a new pin in it rather than sending me one so I could have it done. Refused to sell me a extra bolt with a fitted pin also. I posted places telling people the only way I could think of that ruger would do this is to say you misplaced the bolt and now you can't use your gun. I'm sure they'd do it then.

My AC-556 (built in 1984), has fired more round than I can count, has NEVER broken a part. It was only sent back to Ruger Once, back in 2008ish or 2009. Ruger put a new barrel, and a new bolt assembly in it. Guess the round count was taking its toll on those parts. (Haven't shot but maybe 500 rounds out of it since then). Ruger did all the replacements for free.
I recently talked to Ruger CS and they will sell you a replacement bolt assy which will be fitted to your rifle. You must return the rifle to Ruger, and the cost is around $122.00.

My initial contact was through "talk to the CEO", and I received the call a few days later.

Update: I just checked my old phone messages and the cost is $120.83 which includes return shipping. They want you to call them with your serial # and they will authorize it. I am sorely tempted, saving my pennies.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Leave it to Mike he will get it done! Did they send you a hat too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recently talked to Ruger CS and they will sell you a replacement bolt assy which will be fitted to your rifle. You must return the rifle to Ruger, and the cost is around $122.00.

My initial contact was through "talk to the CEO", and I received the call a few days later.

Update: I just checked my old phone messages and the cost is $120.83 which includes return shipping. They want you to call them with your serial # and they will authorize it. I am sorely tempted, saving my pennies.
In the parts list on page 44 of the Mini 14 manual:
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini.pdf

The asterisk next to Firing Pin indicates that the rifle must be sent to Ruger so that they can fit the pin to the rifle. This means Ruger will not send you a firing pin to keep as a spare.

The Bolt does not have an asterisk next to it which means Ruger will send you a bolt to keep as a spare. The bolt probably comes with a firing pin fit to it, so it would be a drop-in part. No gunsmith needed.

I heard there are a few variations of the bolt assemblies and that one is chosen specifically to headspace your particular rifle. Maybe all that is necessary is to send Ruger the serial number of your rifle instead of the rifle itself when you order a spare bolt.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've fired 1,200-plus rounds through my 582 Tactical with absolutely no problems. I've shot cheap steel, expensive and inexpensive brass, .223, and 5.56 ammo - basically whatever's cheapest LOL. Firing pin is good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

In the parts list on page 44 of the Mini 14 manual:
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini.pdf

The asterisk next to Firing Pin indicates that the rifle must be sent to Ruger so that they can fit the pin to the rifle. This means Ruger will not send you a firing pin to keep as a spare.

The Bolt does not have an asterisk next to it which means Ruger will send you a bolt to keep as a spare. The bolt probably comes with a firing pin fit to it, so it would be a drop-in part. No gunsmith needed.

I heard there are a few variations of the bolt assemblies and that one is chosen specifically to headspace your particular rifle. Maybe all that is necessary is to send Ruger the serial number of your rifle instead of the rifle itself when you order a spare bolt.
I just called Ruger. The lady I talked to said their manual has an asterisk next to both the bolt and the firing pin and that they will not sell a spare bolt even if you ship them your rifle.

I sent an email to customer support also and should have a reply within 3 business days.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts