Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm a new Mini-14 owner and want to thank everyone for their posts. A great deal of information. I was just at a gun show and picked up a new 30 round PMI SS clip (about $50) and took it to the range. I loaded it with 10 rounds and it worked perfectly, I also tried 20 and 27 and had a few jams that were fixed following 1) a quick pull on the slide handle or, 2) following removal of the clip and "adjusting" the cartridge and re-inserting the clip. I've read the previous posts on "breaking in" a clip by loading and unloading a clip prior to use and was wondering if this will help or will I have an expensive 10 round clip?

Also, saw a 180 round drum for a mini-14... are these common? I'm sorry to say that I didn't have a chance to find out make, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think luck might have something to do with whether or not magazines work with the Mini 14. I have two stainless steel 30 round PMI magazines. I bought these at a gun show about a month ago. They were loose, not in any sort of packaging, but looked new. They have the "PMI" logo on the floorplate.

Mine feed fine, from loading a few rounds all the way up to 30 rounds (takes a while and cuts my fingers!). They hold the bolt open after the last round. I have had no problems with PMI, Ruger and ProMag. I have steered away from any other brand.

Sometimes I think some guns don't like some magazines. Lucky for me my Mini seems to be really friendly. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of my 30 rnd ss mags was very finicky hard to load and would stop feeding when I first got it. After loading & unloading it about 5-6 times it seemed to straighten itself out. :)
Now it feeds fine. My theory is that the rough ss sides cause too much friction on the rounds inside. After loading & unloading a few times the contact points become "burnished" and offer less resistance.
Of coures, this has not worked on my 40 rounders yet:(

Try this out & let us know how it works for U.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Rusty you sure that was a 180 round drum? Never seen any bigger than Chinese 120 rounders(rare). I have a MWG that holds 90rnds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've taken the clip and loaded and unloaded it a good few times as per suggestions. It does seem to "operate" better. I haven't had a chance to bring it to the range yet, but I'll keep y'all posted.

The guy at the Gun Show (Real Gun Show; Pasadena TX Feb2-3) said it was a 180 drum. It looked plastic and particularly ugly. I didn't pay much mind to it as he wanted a few $100s for it. The show returns to Pasadena in march, I'll try to find out more details if the vendor is there.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grinch, thanks for your suggestion. I took out the Ruger follower from my 5 round Ruger clip and tried placing it in the 30 round mag. It seemed to stick and after several rtries I gave up attempting to put it into the 30 rounder... Hopefully, I'll have better luck with my next clip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts