Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm a new member & this is my first thread.

I'm confused about the lengths of piston conversion kits. I have a DPMS Recon Carbine that I'd like to convert to gas piston operated. The barrel is 16" but I'm confused as to get either the "carbine length" or the "rifle length" kit. I understand that a carbine barrel length is usually 14" but when I looked up the rifle length kit from Adams arms, it looked like it was for something more like a DMR or something with an 18-20" barrel. Can anyone help me out?

Also, my barrel is free floating, what would be the kit manufacturer that you would recommend?

Thanks a ton!

- Tron

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Carbine length is what you need. It isn't necessarily the length of the barrel that matters as it is the length of the gas tube/gas system. A military carbine was 14" or 14.5 (don't remember) but that is not legal to own for a civilian without welding the muzzle device on so most manufacturers just made them 16 for years. You are starting to see more with the shorter barrels and "pinned" flash suppressors to bring them up to the 16" minimum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Well, since my flash hider is pinned," I guess I will have to invest in one of those upgraded bolt carriers. I'm thinking one with a nickel boron finish

1 - 3 of 3 Posts