Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few of my Pistol caliber carbines to the range to play with the other day. 9 Largo Destroyer Carbine, ASA 9 MM M-4, Marlin 1894's, one in .357 the other .44 mag. This little exerperiment was brought about by the (EPA) to ban outright the use of lead wheel balancing weights........I have several hundred lbs on hand and wanted to try them out.

The 44 Mag was loaded with 10 grains of Unique behind a RCBS keith swc bullet.
The .357 was also a RCBS keith swc bullet, one of 150 Grains, (Lee) the other a Lyman 168 Gr SWCHP.Lyman Single Cavity Bullet Mold #358429 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 168grs. over 6 grs Unique.
The ASA 9 MM AR is shooting a commercial cast 124 gr round Nose locally made here in Tucson.
The 9 Largo is using the same bullet over 6 Grs of Unique as the 9 MM AR. The Largo did have a bit of leading and would throw a round every now and then. I cast some of my own RCBS 9 MM Round Noses for next time to see how they do. I left the Ruger PC4 at home today becuase I have already done a write up on it with lead cast bullets, it likes them.

The .357's were chrono'd at 1277fps for the 150's and 1242 fps for the 168 gr CSWCHP's.
The .44's came out at between 1256 fps and 1337 fps.
Didn't Chrono the 9 Largo or the 9MM AR this time. I forgot my sun diffuser and without them, I just was't getting accurate readings. I know the AR will throw the 124's at about 1250 fps. The Largo will do about the same. All were shot at 25 yds.

9 Largo 6 grs Unique 124 gr CRN 25 Yds

Lyman 168 Gr CSWCHP over 6 grs Unique vs Water Jug 25 Yds........

· Vigilant Curmudgeon
857 Posts
I would love to get a m-4 in 10mm. ANY BODY HERE SHOOT ONE?? HAVE SHOT 3 RDS. THRU ONE 12 YRS. AGO. ( OLYMPIC ARMS)...... seems like forever... the guy moved & joined 'another sportmens' club. Our loss!

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a question for you.
Here on Indiana we can only hunt with a pistol cal carbine or shotgun
My choice was the Puma Rossi 44mag.
I shoot the lever-revolutions with the red tips, Leopold scope
When I sight the gun in I am dead on at 80 yards first shot.
Second shot throws left 2-3 inches 3rd shot groups with the second shot.
I suspect that the barrel is heating up with the first shot and the true shot is actually my second shot.
If this true.... What is the fix...?
If I am in a tree stand from 5-7 am I will of course have a cold barrel, I am sighted in cold.
I miss shot 1 , I don't get shot 2 without re-adjusting.
I suspect my only fix is a bull barrel.
Suggestions?

· Registered
7,312 Posts
I am not sure of the answer. I have a Rossi in 45 Colt. It doesn't group the tightest but it does group in about 2-3 inches at 100 yards with good ammo. So for you, first shot is bulls eye. Second and subsequent shots are left 2-3 inches. So if you excluded shot one from your groups, what would be their size at 80 yards?

I guess I would take the first shot and enjoy some good eating and take the second shot exactly as the first, two to three inches for most things is close enough. Please remember I am just thinking out loud.

· Registered
5,429 Posts
I bought a Masterpiece Arms .45 acp carbine

I was wondering if there was a PCC group. I have mine being Cerakoted right now. When I get it back I'll post some pics of the "brick-on-a-stick" as I call it. I had tested the 4 30rd mags and sighted in the red dot at 50 yds it was shooting the head off my man silhouette target. Probably 2-3 in.

· Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,274 Posts
Nice write up, I'm impressed with how accurate all the 9mm carbines are.

In my own experience, my 9mm CX4 Beretta is perhaps the most accurate out of the box weapon I've ever owned. My tricked out .22LR 1022 shoots just as accurate, but the 9mm carbine has impressed me with accuracy and operation since day one.

· hostilenativelibertarian.
7,889 Posts
:pSince I sold all of mine at the local tavern-I used to have a pc9 that was every bit as accurate as a 10-22 that I also used to have,and it took the same mags as a p89 that I also used to have!<_<

· Registered
10 Posts
While my Marlin 1894C is a PITA to load with that super stiff loading gate. It is insane accurate. There was a shot up propane bottle in the desert and I wanted to shoot the valve thingie off. I was shooting the walmart .38 bulk FMJs. It didnt shoot the valve off but it did leave all those .38s were smashed up INSIDE the valve body. Thats like a 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe fitting?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.