Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Greetings, there were a few folks on here that wanted to see my Tribes hand made bows & Bear Leg quiver.

These are two of my hand crafted bows.

(On left ) Osage Orange wood, 45 lb draw.

(Right) Black ebony & ash laminant, 75 lb draw.

View attachment 23722

Below; Bear leg quiver. Brain tanned front bear leg / hard tack leather insert / saddle leather strap / glass seed bead art work (Rosettes) / deer hide fringe.

Arrows, ash shaft, jasper stone points / sinew / white turkey feather fletching

View attachment 23723

Sorry the pics are not better, I'm learning how to use digital camera lately.
Hi JRedHorse;

That is magnificent! Not only functional but truly outstanding works of art. Thank you for letting us see them.

I can only imagine the work that went into making them, and the time it represents working with your forebears who were masters of the art. And I imagine you're already passing those skills on. That gives continuity to life. My elders made sure I knew not only the art of the rifle, but how to use one responsibly. It was something that was passed down, and looking back on it I can see that shaped me in ways I didn't understand at the time. It made me part of something bigger, something that stretched back and continues forward.

Maybe that's why the progressives hate the shooting and hunting sports so much - they're so busy trying to change the world that they see traditions as an impediment to "hope and change" instead of appreciating all the fine things we already have.

Sorry, I digress - you have done some magnificent work!
Thanks for posting the pics,
Grumpy

·
Backwoods Mountain Man
99 Posts
I love the old school stuff. I appreciate all traditional crafts, Im a blacksmith and know fine craftsman built by someone with knowledge. Your work is amazing. I would love to know how to make a bow the old way and the arrows to go with it

Sent from behind my anvil in the blacksmith shop

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:eek:Wow-JRedHorse;that is really some fine and intricate-or shall I say intimate work on those bows.Really an act of love or passion to do that kind of precision design work.Tell me have you ever heard of yew wood?Out here in the PNW the local NDN's used it to make their bows and it is supposed to be some kind of tough stuff.We also have some really straight grained cedar that they used to make their arrow shafts with.Deer,elk,and turkeys,all close to the house!Now if I can figure out how to put all of that info together.......................................... :blink:

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
pretty kick ass stuff.

If you haven't already -you should have a look at the arms and tools of ancient Polynesia -

mainland native american stuff was downright sophisticated compared to it :)

wonder what a Plains Indian would have made of a shark tooth war club?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
the old Hawaiians used them to beat each other to a bloody pulp - the tool is very similar in many respects to the Aztec obsidian studded wooden sword- only instead of surgically sharp obsidian stones - they used razor sharp tiger shark teeth.
they were still truly a "stone age" people up until first contact.

never developed metallurgy, no animals around with the sinews needed to make an effective bow, not sure the right types of wood were available, nor was there anything to hunt with a bow anyway (they brought pigs and dogs as livestock with them)

since flint/obsidian is rare to the point of nonexistent here, so they never discovered napping of stone to make blades - they used the teeth of tiger sharks as blades, and fire hardened Koa wood as scrapers and such.

not very sophisticated on dry land,
but they were Magnificent seafarers and fishermen though...

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
This was some awesome stuff Redhorse. You can tell you put great work and detail and passion into your tools.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.