Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a blue Ranch Rifle in a Choate stock.
I shortened the barrel to 14.5" and added the break (pinned and soldered) to bring it to 16".

My son likes it more than I do!

"Dad, I wanna MINI!" :D

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
As my grandaddy would say, " He looks like a fine young fella."

I would add, The mini looks fine too.

And my grandma would say, "How about catfish for dinner? You'll go catch us a mess."

KC

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kids and guns, kids and guns. My grandparents and parents didn't have a problem with that. So what can I tell other parents about guns? It;s a new project for me, I'm getting old enough to start "sharing my wisdom".

I was just reminiscing, both grandads were in WWII. My Grandpas and dad put a gun in my hands and taught me how to load and clean the damn thing. They also taught me to be safe with a loaded gun. My Grandmas didn't wince a bit about 13 year old boys toting a shotgun.

The boys carried shotguns and .22 rifles, loaded, when we were going to fish or going out to explore the back 100. Snakes were very common, so we always had to watch out for rattlers and copperheads in the woods and water moccasins near the water. So shotguns were considered practical for the daily hike or fishing trip. Rifles were more for hunting or just fun. I could never hit a snake on the run with a .22. Sitting still, I could get the head shot, if it gave me all the time in the world.

Sorry for going on, I was just remembering how guns were a part of my childhood. At the younger end, they were small bore and .22. Later, the guns got bigger for real hunting.

Those were the old days. Now, to shoot, I have to go to one of 3 close-by ranges, pay a fee, and shoot at paper. It sure as hell ain't the same as 35 years ago! My wife goes to the range once in a while. She likes it much better when the loads are light. For one thing, she shoots better. The other thing I've noticed, she complains when the gun hurts. So I've adopted the kindler, gentler approach. Light loads for kids and wives. My wife likes it better, she can hit paper good enough, and she isn't afraid to handle a gun. It's my way of adapting to the 21st century.

KC

·
Registered
723 Posts
Nice gun,looks like the little one will be well prepared when he ask dad to give him that gun. Thanks enjoyed the photo, I have two nephews that I am working on, really one of them is old enough. But I cant wait to show this photo to my wife!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would also be interested to know how the shortened barrel effects accuracy. I am thinking about sending my gun to DRC.

By the way, the Kali Nazi's will have a sh*t fit if they see that pistol grip and the muzzle brake could be interpreted as a flash hider. I personally think these laws are illegal and stupid. I am just giving you a heads up.

Stock Mini-14 shoots friendly bullets
Modified Mini-14 shoots evil dangerous bullets.

How dumb.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did cutting your barrel affect your groups?
It actually improved them. I don't know why but it did.

the Kali Nazi's will have a sh*t fit if they see that pistol grip
It's registered as an assault weapon, that way I could keep the P-grip.

the muzzle brake could be interpreted as a flash hider.
That is why I kept my original invoice that says "Double Muzzle Brake".

·
Registered
91 Posts
The double muzzle break, how did you solder it, I have one and it wiggles a bit so I have it shimmed with a piece of thick aluminum foil. This seems very cheesy to me, I would like to get mine soldered on or do it myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The double muzzle break, how did you solder it
The break was silver soldered on using a Turbo torch (Acetylene).

It takes a lot of heat to get the silver solder flowing.

I have one and it wiggles a bit so I have it shimmed with a piece of thick aluminum foil.
Mine never wiggled or had any play, even before I cut the barrel it fit really well. I must have got a good one .:D

I would like to get mine soldered on or do it myself
If you are not comfortable with soldering and torch rigs and such it's probably best to have it done, almost any gunsmith can do it for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts