Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOTE: I tried to post pictures, but this BBS does not appear to like Google Drive photos. The links are available, at least.

My 7-year-old son likes to do everything I do, and have everything I have, so I traded a pistol for a Mini-14. It was a Tactical version, and got rid of the side-folder and put a Mossy Oak stock on for the moment (looking for a used wood stock).

I removed the flash hider, and the front sight, and purchased the M14 flash suppressor adapter from Accuracy Systems. The USGI parts came from Numrich. I did not know that the adapters now are larger than the original .223 adapters, and at first was frustrated, but after talking to the owner of Accuracy Systems, and an hour in the shop, I'm happy with it.

I purchased a piece of 4140 from McMaster, .560ID/.750OD. Inserted it into the lathe, and very carefully bored it out until it was a snug fit. (I had to use a wooden mallet to tap the gun out of the tube several times, it was that snug.) I then turned it with a ~3.25° taper, and parted it a little over 1.380, and carefully fit it with the front sight assembly, then put it back on and turned it down a few thou, repeat.

Here's it finished. I think I went .002 too far, and it's maybe .5° off to the left, and I have some .001-.016 shim washers coming in, and will be using them between the back nut of the adapter and the adapter itself, as there is a lot of thread there, to time it perfectly.

I think it looks good enough that I do not have to turn down the adapter as I originally intended to.

Remaining plans:
  • making a "stabilizer" assembly (the ones out there are over-priced, and I still haven't seen a really nice looking clamp on any of them)
  • wood stock to match my M1A/M14. I have a camo stock that I painted, but I'm not sure if I want to use it or not, yet. With it being a Loaded M1A, the wood stock is pretty nice. I think it might be oversized, which fit my hands well. I wish there was a Youth Model version of the Mini-14, with maybe a 2" shorter stock. I might see if I can shorten a wooden stock, and modify it to accept the M14 butt plate. Hrmm.
  • straight mags. Still looking for OE 20rd straight mags, and am looking at other options. I intend on trying to form fit a 6.8 mag I purchased to fit in the .223 Mini-14, and if I can get that to work, I will shape the lips to work with .223.

Once my children can shoot well with iron sights, I will add a scope mount and a scope. They have been shooting my AUG and a Feather AT-22, both with have optics, so they haven't really done any iron sight shooting yet.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,648 Posts
Nice idea from the description. I can't see the photos because I would have to login to google, something I'm not going to do for security reasons.

Once you have enough post count (can't remember the number right off hand) the best way to share photos is to use Perfect Union's forum tool to upload them directly from your device, preferably a laptop, desktop, or tablet. Mobile phones are a pain in the asterisk (A**).

Users have learned the hard way over the years that using an outside host for photos will eventually ruin a lot of really good threads. Photobucket to name one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the link to the M14 system on ASI. Scroll down to get to it. This is new from ASI. Impressive if you like the M14 look.
Ruger Mini 14 30 Adjustable Non-Adjustable Gas Block Tunable Blocks Accuracy Systems Inc
I might give in and buy that one. I'm trying not to, but it is really nice looking. I can make the rod without a lot of issues, it's the clamp that is going to be a challenge to make. I have a clamp on it's way from China, designed for something else. I'll see if that works, otherwise I'll probably end up forking the 200 and buying that.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,879 Posts
NOTE: I tried to post pictures, but this BBS does not appear to like Google Drive photos. The links are available, at least.

My 7-year-old son likes to do everything I do, and have everything I have, so I traded a pistol for a Mini-14. It was a Tactical version, and got rid of the side-folder and put a Mossy Oak stock on for the moment (looking for a used wood stock).

I removed the flash hider, and the front sight, and purchased the M14 flash suppressor adapter from Accuracy Systems. The USGI parts came from Numrich. I did not know that the adapters now are larger than the original .223 adapters, and at first was frustrated, but after talking to the owner of Accuracy Systems, and an hour in the shop, I'm happy with it.

View attachment 63728

I purchased a piece of 4140 from McMaster, .560ID/.750OD. Inserted it into the lathe, and very carefully bored it out until it was a snug fit. (I had to use a wooden mallet to tap the gun out of the tube several times, it was that snug.) I then turned it with a ~3.25° taper, and parted it a little over 1.380, and carefully fit it with the front sight assembly, then put it back on and turned it down a few thou, repeat.

View attachment 63729

View attachment 63730

Here's it finished. I think I went .002 too far, and it's maybe .5° off to the left, and I have some .001-.016 shim washers coming in, and will be using them between the back nut of the adapter and the adapter itself, as there is a lot of thread there, to time it perfectly.

View attachment 63731

View attachment 63733

View attachment 63734

I think it looks good enough that I do not have to turn down the adapter as I originally intended to.

View attachment 63732

Remaining plans:
  • making a "stabilizer" assembly (the ones out there are over-priced, and I still haven't seen a really nice looking clamp on any of them)
  • wood stock to match my M1A/M14. I have a camo stock that I painted, but I'm not sure if I want to use it or not, yet. With it being a Loaded M1A, the wood stock is pretty nice. I think it might be oversized, which fit my hands well. I wish there was a Youth Model version of the Mini-14, with maybe a 2" shorter stock. I might see if I can shorten a wooden stock, and modify it to accept the M14 butt plate. Hrmm.
  • straight mags. Still looking for OE 20rd straight mags, and am looking at other options. I intend on trying to form fit a 6.8 mag I purchased to fit in the .223 Mini-14, and if I can get that to work, I will shape the lips to work with .223.

Once my children can shoot well with iron sights, I will add a scope mount and a scope. They have been shooting my AUG and a Feather AT-22, both with have optics, so they haven't really done any iron sight shooting yet.
I appreciate the time, effort, and expense to which OP went, and congratulate OP on his ingenuity.

Personally, I would have elected to retain the original set-up, explained to my 7-year old son that the OEM parts, while not being exactly identical to Dad's M1A, were shorter, lighter, and more useful for his purposes, and perhaps used the $ saved for mags and/or ammo.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. Don't say I'm right, nor say OP is wrong. Just have different approaches.

OP, with that "Heavy-barrel" you might not need a strut, except for pure looks.

In any event, nice work, and I'm sure your son will enjoy his new rifle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.