Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't been over here to post in a while. I 've been busy, among other things, helping to defeat an anti-gun Republican Primary candidate in Northeast Indiana. But this contest gives me a good reason to post my "Write your National Newspapers!" post, in which I give everyone access to the NRA's link to write up to 5 of your favorite national newspapers with one click, and tell them what you think about the recent federal district court decision, and John Ashcroft's announcement, that the 2nd Amendment (and the rest of the Bill of Rights) is for individuals after all.

I can't say this often enough: The opening phrase of the 2nd Amendment is a dependent, subordinate clause which merely offers a rationale for the sentence which follows. After the comma comes the complete sentence which underscores the individual right to keep and bear arms -- it doesn't confer that right, by the way, it simply reinforces the status quo at the time. The fact that no state has ever found it necessary to form or regulate that militia of armed citizens has no bearing on the fact that the Amendment confirms the individual right to keep and bear -- just in case! And given current conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if Ashcroft's statement is an integral part of the overall plan for homeland security, and a carefully reasoned position of the Bush administration. In any case, use the link in "Write Your National Newspapers!" to make those editorial boards hear the calm and reasoned "other side of the story" in logical terms. Do your best!

Okay, okay, here's the link again: http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/media/

God bless America. :usa:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool contest...
Offeror...have you seen what Ashcroft is doing?
He says the 2nd amend IS the people...think
we will see some changes in gun laws?

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Thanks for your comments.

Political comment isn't in the News section. I'm moving the thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think we should definitely see some changes for the better. Ashcroft has forced the hand of the antis, and all they have to show is a 1939 Supreme Court case against two perps who used a sawed-off shotgun. The court actually affirmed that military weapons were appropriate for citizen ownership, but the perps and their lawyers didn't show up in court to defend the sawed-off as a military weapon.

The New York Times this week misquoted the court 1939 opinion by taking a piece of it out of context and suggesting it meant something else. We, on the other hand, have a recent federal district court view that the amendment describes an individual right which may not be infringed, and now Ashcroft and the DOJ are sending that message to the Supreme Court (although there may not be a test case soon). This floors the antis, who've been telling each other for ages that they were on solid legal ground, when in fact it was all hearsay and third hand misinformation. Truth: The most appropriate guns protected for citizen ownership by the amendment are "militial-style", or modern military guns.

Since we are early in Bush's first administration, there should be time enough for effects to be felt. My feeling is that this line goes right along with the strategy for Homeland Security, though nobody is making that connection overtly.

I've always viewed Sarah Brady as a war bride who took out her resentment against her husband's being wounded in the service of freedom on the fabric of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It will take time to restore the vandalism done.

The founders did not create these rights for the convenience of one generation in one set of circumstances. They created these rights to survive many social conditions, peaceful and chaotic. We are lucky now that we face threats from within and without that more damage was not inflicted. Much is being put right these days and it gives me renewed hope for the strength of America -- which is the people. :usa:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts