Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I did not go to the range and shoot tight groups or waste ammo. Instead I was on my property in the country looking for a coyote than has made himself known in the area. I took my new 5 month old Catahoula Hound with me along with my Mini. He is now over 50 lbs. It was a cool breezy sunny day. Just me and my buddy Bear. I had never taken him out on a trip that deep into the woods before, but he seemed to take to it and got into a serious mood, on the lookout and staying close to me without any direction. Must be in his blood. Also, he is used to gunfire, I've made sure of that. After an hour or so we sat down and I shared my liver cheese sandwich with him. Suddenly, he came on the alert. made a gutteral sound and looked just north of us. I listened (my new hearing aid is great) and indeed heard some rustling. We approached quietly. There was a low area 25 yards ahead and the wind was in our favor. Not a coyote, but a ferral pig. Not big and fairly young. I crouched in the brush and shouldered my Mini. Slowly clicked off the safety. Bear was next to me lying quietly, but every muscle tight in anticipation. Went for a chest shot, sqeezed the trigger and the shot suprised me as it should. Dead center and the pig dropped. Immediately, Bear bolted toward the downed pig galloping like a pony. Then stopped a few feet away, probaly ensuring it was dead which it was.

Friends coming over next week for BBQ. Never once did I worry about firing pins, FTEs during sustained fire, the Government. Just used the Mini what it was designed for. That night, Bear stayed at my feet in my workshop while I cleaned the Mini. He swears by that rifle. Later that night, we were watching one on of my John Wayne DVDs, "Back to Bataan" and fell asleep. nice dreams that night. The wife did not even mind, She says both of snore too much anyway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
glad ya' did'nt shoot a coyote i like em' have a coydog laying here on the floor beside me right now he's young but so far has been a very good pet/watchdog. cleaning your rifle after firing is the best thing you can do for it. most malfunctions with semiauto firearms are due to being dirty to begin with.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Good hunting Old Navy! I find myself wanting to get out more and look for pigs myself. My brother and I put one down back in March of this year on a coyote hunt.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
No, I did not go to the range and shoot tight groups or waste ammo. Instead I was on my property in the country looking for a coyote than has made himself known in the area. I took my new 5 month old Catahoula Hound with me along with my Mini. He is now over 50 lbs. It was a cool breezy sunny day. Just me and my buddy Bear. I had never taken him out on a trip that deep into the woods before, but he seemed to take to it and got into a serious mood, on the lookout and staying close to me without any direction. Must be in his blood. Also, he is used to gunfire, I've made sure of that. After an hour or so we sat down and I shared my liver cheese sandwich with him. Suddenly, he came on the alert. made a gutteral sound and looked just north of us. I listened (my new hearing aid is great) and indeed heard some rustling. We approached quietly. There was a low area 25 yards ahead and the wind was in our favor. Not a coyote, but a ferral pig. Not big and fairly young. I crouched in the brush and shouldered my Mini. Slowly clicked off the safety. Bear was next to me lying quietly, but every muscle tight in anticipation. Went for a chest shot, sqeezed the trigger and the shot suprised me as it should. Dead center and the pig dropped. Immediately, Bear bolted toward the downed pig galloping like a pony. Then stopped a few feet away, probaly ensuring it was dead which it was.

Friends coming over next week for BBQ. Never once did I worry about firing pins, FTEs during sustained fire, the Government. Just used the Mini what it was designed for. That night, Bear stayed at my feet in my workshop while I cleaned the Mini. He swears by that rifle. Later that night, we were watching one on of my John Wayne DVDs, "Back to Bataan" and fell asleep. nice dreams that night. The wife did not even mind, She says both of snore too much anyway.
Pics of Bear or he doesnt exist;) ... no really though.. I had to google Catahoula Hound and found a wide variety of colors. I would love to see a pic of him. They look like beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My lab which somebody stole right out of my fenced yard was like that. We were just walking the wooded trails behind the lake one day and he alerted so we got down. A minute later a mother doe and 2 fawns walked out of the clear cut about 100 yards away. They finally moved off so we walked on down the trail. When we got to where the deer had been he started tracking so we followed them way down in the woods until I decided we should head back. I really miss my bud. He was a great dog, really smart and quite a sense of humor which you can see in the photo.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
My lab which somebody stole right out of my fenced yard was like that. We were just walking the wooded trails behind the lake one day and he alerted so we got down. A minute later a mother doe and 2 fawns walked out of the clear cut about 100 yards away. They finally moved off so we walked on down the trail. When we got to where the deer had been he started tracking so we followed them way down in the woods until I decided we should head back. I really miss my bud. He was a great dog, really smart and quite a sense of humor which you can see in the photo.

Hottarod,

I'm so sorry to read about what happened to your dog. Gotta be a special circle in hell for someone so low as to steal a man's dog.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I had a clash with a couple of neighbors regarding one having the other cut the grass for a 120 feet x 3 feet off my frontage to the road. I now have a standing district court order against the one that instigated that because he threatened me twice. He is also a chronic drunk. What is so sad is that he is in his 30's.

Anyway, something was said about my dog and a few weeks later he disappeared. Whoever got him went to the trouble to remove his collar.

I am confident that they were involved or got some other low life friends to do it for them. There have been some cases of pit bull fighting around here so either they just took my dog to the woods and shot him or used him for pit bull training. I will never know the truth of the matter. It has been going on 2 years and I'm still not over what happened to him.

The next dog I get will be a man eating German Shepherd.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I had a clash with a couple of neighbors regarding one having the other cut the grass for a 120 feet x 3 feet off my frontage to the road. I now have a standing district court order against the one that instigated that because he threatened me twice. He is also a chronic drunk. What is so sad is that he is in his 30's.

Anyway, something was said about my dog and a few weeks later he disappeared. Whoever got him went to the trouble to remove his collar.

I am confident that they were involved or got some other low life friends to do it for them. There have been some cases of pit bull fighting around here so either they just took my dog to the woods and shot him or used him for pit bull training. I will never know the truth of the matter. It has been going on 2 years and I'm still not over what happened to him.

Just reading that :mad::mad::mad::mad:

When you do get another dog, German Shepherds are good, loyal companions. Another one you may consider would be: Rhodesian Ridgeback I always wanted one, but I've never had space for such a beast.

Just make sure the dog knows not to trust strangers, no matter how tough it is. Mine are usually too trusting, since I baby 'em so much that it doesn't occur to 'em that strangers can be hostile. I never leave 'em out alone because I've been hearing about dog thefts quite a bit lately and mine would go with a stranger in a heartbeat.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
451 Posts
Scum

I am confident that they were involved or got some other low life friends to do it for them. There have been some cases of pit bull fighting around here so either they just took my dog to the woods and shot him or used him for pit bull training. I will never know the truth of the matter. It has been going on 2 years and I'm still not over what happened to

Really sorry about your best friend (dog). It's a shame that kind of trash exists, I have had problems with two neighbors, one required a talk and display of legal open carry. The other involved the Sheriff's department, after the two deputies met the neighbor they told my wife and I "when you HAVE to shoot him, call one of us and we'll take care of it".

If you get a German Shepard you will have a friend forever loyal, friendly, protective. Our first one died when she was 11 1/2 yrs old. Died right here in the living room floor, we cried like babies. Our new one, now 4 yrs old is the biggest baby you will ever see, she will follow my wife for hours on the riding mower, chase butterflies, loves kids and doesn't bark at most people. However, I think that if anyone started any crap they would have 100 lbs of dog to deal with.

When she needs out at night, she comes to my side of the bed, wiggle her head under the blanket and stick that big ole cold wet black nose one me-talk about a wake up call....

Semper Fi

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mini 14 with a 68 grain Privi HP. Will post a picture of my dog in couple of days. Have to go on some travel. My Catahoula is grey with black spots and a little white and brindle. He also has blue "broken glass" eyes. Sorry to hear about the Lab. Dogs are truly Man's beast friend. To violate their trust is really bad Karma.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reminds me of my little man Ti you see in my post as my pic. He helps me with the squirrels. I see one and hide at the side door to the garage with my 22 and he sits at his heel position. Once I fire he begins his search pattern. Brings them back to me. I can't imagine Ti not being around. When i leave my wife here at the house I know she's protected. Hate that someone took you companion.

Oh, and my Mini-14 is a little much for squirrel duty, that's for the hogs and coyotes outside my fence.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Feelin lucky?

My deepest sympathies for losing one of the best friends of your life. This girl wouldn't go quietly, and you can bet I'm backing her all the way, that is if was necessary.

My friend as long as we both have breath.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.