Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, hi to all,

So step-pop got a new M&P15 the other day. He pulls me aside at the latest family get together and plops his old 80's Mini into my lap. "It's yours," he says, "I know how much you like it." I was floored to say the least.

It is a rifle I've been long familiar with as he and I have plinked for years together on his land in the country. It has never been an MOA machine, but always good enough for government work. No man sized target at 50 yards could hope to survive a factory 5 round magazine. It's above all else totally reliable. I can't ever remembering it jamming.

Beautiful gun. Balanced, walnut stock, no frills, military style, ghost ring sights. Just feels good the hand. Old style and I love it.

Thanks Bob (my step-dad)!

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Congratulations. I always love reading about somebody appreciating something that has been passed down. Call me nostalgic...

not that it matters but do you know what series it is?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice CrowFoot. My father did the very exact thing to me a several years ago, cept it was with a Galil. Of the few guns I have purchased, it is still my most fav to shoot. And welcome to the forum from Alaska.
Ha ha, our pops know how to get us :) I feel the same way - no other gun I have means as much as the one my dad gave to me.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congratulations, Crowfoot, and welcome to the forum! That is such a great gift and awesome that it was passed down to you. My stepfather left me his 1950s Winchester Model 94 30-30 when he passed away. My Minis are my favorite guns, but his Model 94 has the most sentimental value - and it's awesome in its own right!

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum Crowfoot! They are very fun to shoot! I have 3 of them and always looking for another.;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh yeah! New minis are going for $1100-$1500!! :eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
seeing those kind of numbers after "mini-14s are now costing..." just boggles my mind. Only 6 months or so ago I was getting shifty looks after paying around $700 for a sheriff trade-in 186-series in a Ruger folding stock w/ 50 rounds of ammo and 3 magazines (pre-ban USA 30rd, PMI 30rd and a Factory 20rd.) Looks like my purchase and the $ spent grabbing up mags (before all this talk even started) could be even better decisions than i thought... :)

congratulations on the new-to-you Mini! I found adding a Mo-Rod and shooting heavier bullet weights best for the 1:7 twist helped the stringing and were my first improvements. I still plan on installing 1911 buffers, hopefully re-torquing the uneven gas block, and maybe getting the trigger done. It's so damn addictive!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seeing those kind of numbers after "mini-14s are now costing..." just boggles my mind. Only 6 months or so ago I was getting shifty looks after paying around $700 for a sheriff trade-in 186-series in a Ruger folding stock w/ 50 rounds of ammo and 3 magazines (pre-ban USA 30rd, PMI 30rd and a Factory 20rd.) Looks like my purchase and the $ spent grabbing up mags (before all this talk even started) could be even better decisions than i thought... :)

congratulations on the new-to-you Mini! I found adding a Mo-Rod and shooting heavier bullet weights best for the 1:7 twist helped the stringing and were my first improvements. I still plan on installing 1911 buffers, hopefully re-torquing the uneven gas block, and maybe getting the trigger done. It's so damn addictive!
Thanks for the advice KS. Definitely going to invest in some sort of barrel strut. I'm not stupid picky. Give me a 3" group at 50 yards and I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Thanks for the advice KS. Definitely going to invest in some sort of barrel strut. I'm not stupid picky. Give me a 3" group at 50 yards and I'm a happy camper.
You should easily be able to get 3" at 50 yds as long as you are using good shooting practices (without the aid of a strut).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts