Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GBPalm 1.0
Copyright 2002, Mad Cow Network
GBPalm 1.0 is a web clipping application for the 3Com Palm VII organizer. It will also run on other Palm Pilot (and compatible) modules using the Mobile Internet Kit and a modem (wired or wireless).

It allows you to search GunBroker.com current and completed auctions for prices and details of items that have been sold or are currently up for auction. It will also display the seller's feedback rating.

This allows you to determine what the actual value might be -- or if you can get a better deal at GunBroker -- for that item you're contemplating buying at the gun show, pawn shop, etc.

You can get it at http://www.firearmszone.com/software/gbpalm.html.

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions!
Thanks....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Darkstar, Give me some tips on which Palm Pilot to look into. I want one and could use it in my work also but don't know enough about them. If you go to the stores then those guys are all alike trying to sell this one or that one and we don't know the difference, so I ask the opinion of a user that is not a seller. (I assume you're not a seller)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not a seller, and I have to admit that I only have experience with the Palm VIIx, so that is all I can tell you about.

The Palm Pilot, in my opinion, is a really user-friendly OS, lots of programs (including ones that link to the Microsoft Office suite, e-mail programs, etc). You can also get models with color displays, if that is important to you.

One of the options that may decide what Palm Pilot you buy (or, whether you go Palm or IPaq) is how important wireless Internet access is to you. For instance, with a Palm VII or VIIx (old model, still available retail for $199) or Palm i705 (brand new, $449)) -- after you sign up for Palm.net service ($9.99 -- $44.99/mo, depending on plan) -- you can look up info from the net anywhere you are that has coverage. (the coverage map is at: http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/coveragemap.cgi - YMMV, though - my folks live smack dab between the dots representing Dallas and Shreveport and I get a decent signal). In DFW, we have great coverage. So my girlfriend and I can be out grabbing lunch and she decides she wants to see a movie. We pull out the Palm Pilot, flip up the antenna, and look up what is playing where and when. Or she's at the mall and sees something she wants but she isn't sure if it's a good price -- whip out the Palm Pilot and look it up online. This is not the same as looking at a website on your home PC -- there are no graphics, the information is condensed, but it has to be to deliver the content in a reasonable time. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot do this with any Ipaq (without a cellular modem), and you can only do it with the Palms listed above (without a cellular modem).

The Compaq Ipaq is much more like a regular PC than a Palm Pilot. It has something like a 206 Mhz processor, a color display and runs a Microsoft Windows OS (either PocketPC (new) or Windows CE (old)). There are many programs, including the popular Microsoft Office Suite and Internet Explorer (which means you wouldn't need the software listed here). You could use a modem or an ethernet card (add-ons) and use your existing Internet account to connect.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse you more. I'll try to get some folks to come on board that are more knowledgable than I am about PDA's and give their opinions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts