Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we can all agree that the original factory folding stocks and the new ones from Samson Manufacturing are solid pieces of hardware...and arguably the best-looking folders on the market for the Mini-14. My only complaint has been that they are not the most comfortable to use...and they are COLD against the cheek. I started looking for a way to mitigate that issue, but found nothing on the market that really worked in both the extended and folded configurations. So I came up with my own solution. After thoroughly cleaning the stock with alcohol, I took a 8-1/2" x 2-5/8" piece of 2mm thick adhesive-backed foam padding that I found at the craft/hobby store and wrapped it around the bar. I then folded the butt stock up onto the bar and carefully cut the foam padding around it with an X-acto knife so that the padding doesn't interfere with the buttstock locking onto the lug on the side of the forend. I'm pretty pleased with the results so I thought I'd share it here. I think it looks pretty sharp on both blued and stainless folders and it is way more comfortable to shoot now.
Air gun Wood Trigger Musical instrument accessory Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

Wood Line Air gun Trigger Rectangle

Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

· Formerly "raf"
4,301 Posts
I think we can all agree that the original factory folding stocks and the new ones from Samson Manufacturing are solid pieces of hardware...and arguably the best-looking folders on the market for the Mini-14. My only complaint has been that they are not the most comfortable to use...and they are COLD against the cheek. I started looking for a way to mitigate that issue, but found nothing on the market that really worked in both the extended and folded configurations. So I came up with my own solution. After thoroughly cleaning the stock with alcohol, I took a 8-1/2" x 2-5/8" piece of 2mm thick adhesive-backed foam padding that I found at the craft/hobby store and wrapped it around the bar. I then folded the butt stock up onto the bar and carefully cut the foam padding around it with an X-acto knife so that the padding doesn't interfere with the buttstock locking onto the lug on the side of the forend. I'm pretty pleased with the results so I thought I'd share it here. I think it looks pretty sharp on both blued and stainless folders and it is way more comfortable to shoot now.
View attachment 68389

View attachment 68390

View attachment 68391

View attachment 68392
This is an Excellent idea!

I've proposed similar for now-unavailable Metal-stocked Butler Creek side-folding stocks. Way back then, I used commonly available automobile heater hoses cut properly.

The only critical point is that the foam insulation be of "CLOSED CELL" foam. "Open Cell" foam will allow water inside the foam and promote rust and freezing.

This Mod is equally good on blued metal stocks in order to prevent burning one's cheek on a hot metal stock.

Congrats on "thinking outside the box" and making a useful suggestion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts