Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Returning my new mini to ruger - like a few others the rear sight is almost full right to get it on target. Looks like the front sight may be canted off of vertical center. I have the shipping info from Ruger, but have never packed one for shipping. Any experience out there on this issue?

· Registered
32 Posts
If you bought it locally, the dealer will probably send it back for you.

I bought mine at a Wal-Mart 50 miles away. Didn't want to drive back, and didn't really trust them anyway, so I called the local Gander Mountain and asked if they had a box they could sell me.

They put me on with a guy in receiving who said he couldn't sell me the box they use, but he had a couple of outer boxes they had received rifles in would give me. I'm guessing most any gun dealer would do this. These were plain brown boxes, which is ideal. I think Ruger says not to say anywhere on the box that it contains a gun. At that point, the ideal would have been to put the Mini back in it's original box and put that in the plain cardboard box.

I couldn't do that because the Mini box was pretty well shredded when I got it, so I cut some heavy cardboard and folded it into inserts to reinforce the shipping box. Then I just wrapped the Mini with a lot of bubble wrap and stuck it in the box along with an explanation and the 5 round magazine (NO AMMUNITION). Taped it all up really well, taped the label on, and carted it off to UPS.

It took about three days to get there, and about three more before they got it to a technician. Another three days for the technician, and they are supposed to be shipping it back tomorrow.

By the way, my problem was the same as yours only opposite (sight all the way to the left, still shooting right). Don't know yet what they actually did.

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
sent two minis (sans stocks) to gundoc

just make sure you have a box that is 6" longer than the length of the rifle assembled.

add 3" of open cell foam blocks to to either end of the box, then wrap the entire gun in small cell bubble wrap, add additional packing to any voids in the box, seal the box with heavy fiber packing tape.

do NOT use a rifle manufacturer's box (unless you cover it with brown parcel paper - you don't want ANYONE to know whats in the box)

tape it up tight and send via USPS priority mail with insurance for full replacement value, and signature required. it'll reach it's destination in 3-5 days. don't tell the sweet thang behind the counter there is a gun in the box.

it's legal to ship a rifle to an FFL or manufacturer via USPS... but people get weird about guns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.