Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing quite a bit of research on the mini 14, I pulled the trigger and ordered the tactical with the folding stock. I think it's the ATI stock, but the guy couldn't verify if it was. 581 series also. 20 rd mag and rings also included. I'm looking forward to accesorise it and learn to do a complete take down. I'm a lefty, and from everything I've read, it's pretty lefty friendly. CDNN has them for $579 +$17 for shipping. I would have paid over $900 for a Stag lefty model, and the mini is half that. A real no brainer for me to jump on it. Rock on. Can you guys recommend a good bang for the buck scope for it. Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Something in the 1-4x or 1.5-4x range at about a 200 dollar price tag. You couldn't go wrong with the Leupold 1.5-4x Mark AR. I'd stay away from the sub hundred dollar Chinese crap like the Barska or NC Star.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Something in the 1-4x or 1.5-4x range at about a 200 dollar price tag. You couldn't go wrong with the Leupold 1.5-4x Mark AR. I'd stay away from the sub hundred dollar Chinese crap like the Barska or NC Star.
They are 280 to 295 right now on ebay. Where can I get one for $200?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The main question is 'What are you going to be using the mini for?'; plinking, home defense, matches, varminting etc and at what sort of ranges?

That requirement will help you (with our help) decide on a scope. A 1-4x ain't the best if you are trying to hit gongs at 400yds. And a 6-18 is little good for 3-gun matches or 25 yd plinking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main question is 'What are you going to be using the mini for?'; plinking, home defense, matches, varminting etc and at what sort of ranges?

That requirement will help you (with our help) decide on a scope. A 1-4x ain't the best if you are trying to hit gongs at 400yds. And a 6-18 is little good for 3-gun matches or 25 yd plinking.
Thanks for the replies and good info. I would be using it for plinking, home defense, and hunting. Probably not for match shooting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the replies and good info. I would be using it for plinking, home defense, and hunting. Probably not for match shooting.
IMHO, home defense and hunting are difficult to tie together on one scope. For varmint hunting (about all a 223 is really good for, although can use on deer if State allows) then you need a scope that will stretch you out to 300yds (ish) - a 4x is a push for that. You may want to look for a 3-9x or 3-12x.

Home Defense, unless you own a ranch (farm type, not the rifle!!), you are really looking at 100yds and much, much less. So Irons or a red-dot are most suitable here. So higher mounts for your scope that allow you to use your irons or an offset mount that you can put a red-dot on would work.

Recent experience (mine, my local suppliers and my buddies) would lend me to say 'Vortex' sights. Up and coming manufacturer, great prices, awesome selection and fantastic quality. Everyone I know that uses Vortex has nothing but good stuff to say.

If you want the best of both worlds, perhaps think about a Red-Dot and a Magnifier. Vortex dots come with doublers (allowing 2x magnification) and you can also add a magnifier (3x) giving you a total of 6x mag.

Vortex StrikeFire Red / Green Dot Rifle Scope SFRD Hunting with Standard Height Mounting Ring FREE S&H SFRD-Hunt. Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Sights, Vortex Red Dot Sights.

Vortex SPARC Rapid Combat Red Dot Sight SPRC FREE S&H SPRC. Vortex SPARC Red Dot Sights, Vortex Red Dot Sights.

Vortex VMX3 Magnifier FREE S&H VMX3. Vortex Red Dot Sight Accessories.

Or Even a 7x mag:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/sightmark-7x-tactical-magnifier-for-weapon-sights.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the good info nbh40. I'll check that gear out.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a vortex strike fire on my ar and its not bad. I have used eotech and aimpoint aswell. Aimpoint is better than the vortex in every area accept price. I prefer the vortex it to my old eotech511.

I would like to offer some advice though. Hold off on spending big money on bling optics until you have atleast 1000 rounds down range. Practice is far more valuable and fun then anything that you can attach to your rifle regardless of the price tag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice Zydeco76. I usually research an item for awhile before I purchase anyway. I should have that many or more down the barrel by then.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well, I got my Mini 14. I love it. It is a sold rifle. The only bummer, I see, is it is stamped 223, and I know the Tactical version, which I have can fire the 5.56 round. I just wish they stamped that on the rifle.

I can see how people are confused if it can handle the 5.56 round or not now.

Now I have to wait until I get a day off to go fire it at the range and all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got my Mini 14. I love it. It is a sold rifle. The only bummer, I see, is it is stamped 223, and I know the Tactical version, which I have can fire the 5.56 round. I just wish they stamped that on the rifle.

Now I have to wait until I get a day off to go fire it at the range and all.
That's good to hear. Fill us in on the results along with the brand of ammo used, and some pics too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
According to Ruger's website, ALL Mini 14 Ranch Rifles, (except Target models) can shoot either. Which would mean that they are actually chambered for the 5.56 round, but can fire either.
Ruger® Mini-14® Ranch Rifle Autoloading Rifle Models

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some where, I thought I saw where the target model didn't shoot 5.56. I thought the only difference between the two was that the 5.56 had hotter loads. BTW, saw a you tube video on the Vortex red dot SPARC, and it really performed well. Held zero after some rough treatment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some where, I thought I saw where the target model didn't shoot 5.56. I thought the only difference between the two was that the 5.56 had hotter loads.
You're right, it states in the owner's manual that the Target model must use ONLY .223.

There is a slight difference in the case dimensions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're right, it states in the owner's manual that the Target model must use ONLY .223.

There is a slight difference in the case dimensions.
Thanks for the info Hatch...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe the owners manual for the 580 RR's state that you can use either .223Rem or 5.56. Someone here will chime in on that, but I am pretty sure the 580 RR's (including the tactical versions) take .223 & 5.56, but as stated before, the target models accept only .223Rem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts