Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting a Mini-14 in another month with my tax return, I have been doing some research on magazines and the results aren't good. Ruger makes a great 30 round metal magazine but the damned things cost nearly $40 a pop. I see that Tapco is making a Gen II version of it's magazines that seem reliable and cost under $15 expect they don't feed steel cased reliably which strikes them off my list.

I know a million threads probably exist on the issue but I have to ask where can I find Ruger 30 rounders for less money or does another company make 30 rounders that are reliable and feed all types of ammo? Thanks. :)

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
So I am getting a Mini-14 in another month with my tax return, I have been doing some research on magazines and the results aren't good. Ruger makes a great 30 round metal magazine but the damned things cost nearly $40 a pop. I see that Tapco is making a Gen II version of it's magazines that seem reliable and cost under $15 expect they don't feed steel cased reliably which strikes them off my list.

I know a million threads probably exist on the issue but I have to ask where can I find Ruger 30 rounders for less money or does another company make 30 rounders that are reliable and feed all types of ammo? Thanks. :)
You can try some ProMag 30rd's. Some people have success with them some people don't.

Personally, I prefer the 20rd Magazines in my Mini-14, they balance the gun well, they also are great at the shooting range (The Mag doesn't hang far enough down to cause issues on the bench).

I only own a couple 30rd mags for my Mini-14, two of them were really cheap (Eagle clear plastic 30rd's and they have worked great).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have will to look into them. I can't stress enough that reliability is more important than anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought the tapco gen2's were suppose to be flawless?
Only if you run brass cased, run a little steel and it turns your Mini-14 into a Jam-O-Matic:

[quote="Best Mags for Mini-14" by Nutnfancy Description:]Redemption for the Tapco Mini-14 magazine! As I had stated in my June 2010 criticisms of the Gen 1 magazine, I had complete confidence that Tapco would correct the issues. Collaborating directly with Tapco, the is the result. Welcome to the best magazine in the world for the Mini-14: Tapco GEN 2s. The best improvement is the steel lug strapped that I had called for in my initial review. It's a now a reality! This provides excellent durability and gives a rock solid lockup equal to that of the Ruger factory steel Mini-14 mags. Improved and more rigid polymers, feed lips, and body are also part of the Gen 2 makeup. And they only weigh 5.2 ounces, almost half that of the still excellent but brick-heavy 9.0 ounce factory 30 rounders! A minor downside still persists: these still don't like steel cased ammunition and hiccups will occur with it. Perhaps for most guys, this isn't a big deal as brass is used for more serious work. But with brass ammunition in 100s of rounds fired (shown), this Gen 2 Tapco mag rules the roost. Tapco Product Manager and his team are to be congratulated for seeing this project through, listening to the TNP audience, and thus created a work of art feeding device for the Mini-14. I'm going to buy 30 of them! ///////////////////////////////[/quote]

Fail Tapco, fail. :(

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
you guy really watch all of nutnfancys sh¡t? I love Hickok.. i dig miller.. but nutnfancy is way too much of a blow hard

This message was approved by Whofarted 2012

·
absit iniuria verbis
317 Posts
If they MUST be 30's, I only have experience with brass thru a Tapco Gen2 and a Promag. Promag was ridiculous; I won't go back. The Tapco Gen2 with brass has been flawless. I promise to run my last 50 rounds of black-box Wolf thru it on my next shoot.

Triple K magazines make flawless 10s, 20s and 40s, I own 7 of em and have never had a problem with any.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
If they MUST be 30's, I only have experience with brass thru a Tapco Gen2 and a Promag. Promag was ridiculous; I won't go back. The Tapco Gen2 with brass has been flawless. I promise to run my last 50 rounds of black-box Wolf thru it on my next shoot.

Triple K magazines make flawless 10s, 20s and 40s, I own 7 of em and have never had a problem with any.
has ruger raised their price on 10 rounders? 40 bucks is nutty

Gun Holsters and Gun Magazines by Triple K :: RUGER MINI 14, 10 RD:

are these what ur saying are good to go? 28 bucks is still nuts but i guess better than nuttin

·
absit iniuria verbis
317 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I to am in the same boat as you, yesterday I purchased a 30 round factory mag for 40.99, that's the best price in my area, I also ordered the tapco gen 2 and when it gets here I will run them both and post the comparison for you ( probably be in a couple weeks), I have tula ammo on hand for steel case stuff, and some american eagle for the brass. In the past i have had 100% reliability with brass and factory mags, and of 300 rounds of tula, ive had one failure to fire, this was a good primer dent but no bang. I would not stock pile tula as a bug out ammo, but it is definatly good enough for practice/training. Tula is also very accurate in my 188 ranch rifle with an accu strut and amega rail... so is american eagle. I agree with you folks not wanting to depend on steel case import ammo for life support applications, but i disagree that it cant be good training ammo, infact an occasional failure for me is part of the training, just dont use it to defend yourself or loved ones. If the tapco gen 2 cant run steel, and I encourage you to find out in your rifle, then I wont run them. 15.00 is cheap enough for me to find out... and if not, then I will keep buying factory mags. FYI. I will be running a shooting course with this rifle this summer with my LE friends and family. Again I will let you know.

·
absit iniuria verbis
317 Posts
FWIW I just dry-cycled a full 30rnd TapcoGen2 mag loaded with Wolf steel. I ran the op rod slow, and fast, with zero problems either way.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I haven't tried any of the Tapco mags, but I am a believer in the ProMag polymer magazines. I've had zero issues with the 30 rounders or 20 rounders. Before shooting, though, I did cycle about 60 rounds through each one by hand to "profile" the feed lips with the bolt.

I tried the same thing with a ProMag steel 10-round magazine, and couldn't get the action to cycle by hand. However, I took the magazine to the range with me and had no problems during live-fire.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I like using the 20rd Ruger mags for most target shooting at the range or wherever. I will be buying the 30rd Tapco Gen II's soon too, and they will be used for brass ammo only, but I will probably still use the Ruger 20 rd mags for most shooting, including home defense.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
If it wasn't for that crap as you put it I wouldn't be able to shoot, I cannot afford the rediculous prices of brass cased ammo on a monthly basis.
You can buy brass ammo for like 50 cents to 75 cents more a box.

You spend 600 dollars + on a rifle and you can't afford 50-75 cents more a box of ammo? But you can afford 40 dollar magazines?

Just saying...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you guy really watch all of nutnfancys sh¡t? I love Hickok.. i dig miller.. but nutnfancy is way too much of a blow hard

This message was approved by Whofarted 2012
I concur, Nutfancy is generally full of himself and I would prefer a review from Hitchok 45 but he didn't review the mag's.

I heard lots of bad things about Promag but I never heard of Triple K, I will have to look them up.

I to am in the same boat as you, yesterday I purchased a 30 round factory mag for 40.99, that's the best price in my area, I also ordered the tapco gen 2 and when it gets here I will run them both and post the comparison for you ( probably be in a couple weeks), I have tula ammo on hand for steel case stuff, and some american eagle for the brass. In the past i have had 100% reliability with brass and factory mags, and of 300 rounds of tula, ive had one failure to fire, this was a good primer dent but no bang. I would not stock pile tula as a bug out ammo, but it is definatly good enough for practice/training. Tula is also very accurate in my 188 ranch rifle with an accu strut and amega rail... so is american eagle. I agree with you folks not wanting to depend on steel case import ammo for life support applications, but i disagree that it cant be good training ammo, infact an occasional failure for me is part of the training, just dont use it to defend yourself or loved ones. If the tapco gen 2 cant run steel, and I encourage you to find out in your rifle, then I wont run them. 15.00 is cheap enough for me to find out... and if not, then I will keep buying factory mags. FYI. I will be running a shooting course with this rifle this summer with my LE friends and family. Again I will let you know.
Please when you post your review can you drop a link into this thread? I am subscribed to this thread so I will know about any updates immediately. I have shot a couple hundred rounds of Tula 9mm through my M&P 9 and I have yet to have any bad ammo from Tula. It always went bang and was accurate, the cheapest ammo too. I plan on stocking some XM193 5.56 from Federal but at $150 per 500 rounds it will be set aside mostly as defensive ammo which I rarely use at the range. However I could afford to stock 1000 rounds of steel cased which will work if I run out of XM193, very unlikely in any scenario though. I will probably buy in batches of 500 to lessen the financial beating.

I am also going to try the Wolf, Silver Bear and Brown Bear ammo since I hear they're hotter rounds but they're only cost a few bucks more than Tula.

FYI I just dry-cycled a full 30rnd TapcoGen2 mag with zero problems. I ran the op rod slow, and fast, with zero problems either way.
With steel cased?

I haven't tried any of the Tapco mags, but I am a believer in the ProMag polymer magazines. I've had zero issues with the 30 rounders or 20 rounders. Before shooting, though, I did cycle about 60 rounds through each one by hand to "profile" the feed lips with the bolt.

I tried the same thing with a ProMag steel 10-round magazine, and couldn't get the action to cycle by hand. However, I took the magazine to the range with me and had no problems during live-fire.
So the ProMag's ran steel cased without issue? What are the 30 rounders running?

You can buy brass ammo for like 50 cents to 75 cents more a box.

You spend 600 dollars + on a rifle and you can't afford 50-75 cents more a box of ammo? But you can afford 40 dollar magazines?

Just saying...
The thing is I don't have to buy a new rifle and set of magazines every-time I go to the range, since I take care of my rifle/mag's I expect them to outlast me. Which means it's a one time cost, the cost of which I can bear. However I have to stock up on more ammo every-time I go to the range. I don't know where you buy ammo but I have yet to see the prices you speak of. 500 rounds of various steel cased ammo can be had for between $100-$125, 1000 rounds costing between $200-$250. While brass is running at it's absolute lowest $150 per 500 rounds (Usually more) and $300-$320 for a 1000 round case. The difference? Between $50-$100 (Sometimes more) between brass and steel depending if you go with 500 rounds or 1000 rounds. Not a handful of cents in my book by a long shot.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts