Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now interested in optics, but not sure if I want red dot holographic/reflex open acquisition, red dot scope or scope??? so many choices and I don't have a never-ending supply of cash... I have looked at a BSA red dot with choice of 4 reticles each either red or green $90.99 and a Center Point red dot as well both with same choices and like models. I looked Burris red dots and scopes with their reputation comes a price, big price. I know a lot of this comes down to shooter's choice... This is what my dilema is, all I know is what I had during my enlistment. I was issued an M16A2 with iron sights, no additional optics, I was a medic and ROE was completely different then. Also being support and not frontline fighting soldier I wasn't given anything with optis and not sure if we had anything like that then...if we did I didn't see it.

Just not sure what to do..

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
With a red dot, you can reach out to 250 yards minute of man.
Precision, go with a scope in the 3 x 9 range.

Check out Primary Arms for decent, less expensive optics. Marshall maintains quality control over these and has great customer service if you do have a problem.
Dave N

Reactions: sacofd19

·
Registered
343 Posts
check out; Primary Arms
They have a nice one that uses AA batteries, multiple rect. for $89 or $99- I got one and like it! received it in 3 days after I ordered it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just Trying To Help You Decide

I'm now interested in optics...This is what my dilema is...Just not sure what to do..
...Precision, go with a scope in the 3 x 9 range...
Dave N
Oh, and don't forget, you can get some really good deals on some pretty high quality used rifle scopes at some gun shops that were trade-ins.

If you have any concerns you could look for the brands that come with a lifetime warranty, but that are still within your price range.

Excellent way to get your hands on a higher grade scope that you would not normally consider because of their high retail cost when new.

Well, that's what I did anyway, and I'm glad I did too! :cool:

So that's not really a bad way to add to your dilema eh... <_<

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:blink:sacofd19-you never mentioned anything about your shooter.Length of barrel and type.M-4 or std ar,what type of critters or targets and ranges wishing to shoot.There is a friggin"grunch" of variables to getting the right optics!:eek:

·
7,825 Posts
:lol:Yea-I've been round here for awhile!<_<

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't mess with around with optics first use your irons ( or polymers) and save to get either an Eotech , Aimpoint or Trijicon . I learned the hard way buying Osprey, Weaver , Redfield, Burris, Bushnell don't do it ! No BSA ! Just get an Eotech XPS ,or Aimpoint PRO or if you need magnification an ACOG

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I can hit with precision with my delton topped withan eotech 512 optic. The center dot is 1moa and out to 2-300yrds it shoots very good groups. I agree that eotech or aimpoint is the way to go. I love my 512 but the aimpoint micro is a stud sight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Center point

I have seen some poor reviews of the Center point red dot on ar15.com. I saw some very good reviews of the Center Point 2-7X illuminated reticle scope, so I bought one from wal mart. I like it! A decent scope for about 70 bucks. Paired it up with a (UTG?) mount from CTD that reminds me a lot of the "peeper" mount, but much cheaper. Works for me at a little over a c-note.

ACOGs are great, but way beyond my budget.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lucid HD7 is a good bang for you buck optic several different reticles very clear glass lines up really nice with a magnifier and can be picked up for around 200 bucks. Its no Acog or Eotech but its a fine optic I run one on one of my Spikes Builds, Nikon M223 on another Spikes Build and a Trijicon Reflex on my Daniel Defense

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Details, details, details... we don't need no stinking.. Ok, DT Sport AR15 5.56 NATO, 16" barrel with 1:9 twist. MAPUL rear BUIS, front post gas block. What my intended targets may be... Paper, varment and distances are varied 25 to 400 yards, but I'ld like to keep my options open. I bought a BSA reflex without test firing first and I'm not sure if I like it. Can't tell the difference on the brightness setting, the lowest looks as bright as the highest 1-6 and of the four reticles the small dot is the clearest the rest of them look fuzzy. Sorry Tman72, should have read this berfore buying...I guess I can always sell it on eBay.. I want something other than BUIS, but what??? I'm not sure.. What I shot and what I know is iron sights. When I was active all we had was iron sights unless you were a Sniper, Scout or SPECOPS... The technology of today was not what it was in the mid 80's, not in leg units or light mech units. My first four I was MEDDAC so I had an everyday M16-A1, my second five I was ARMOR Medic so I had an M113 with a driver, we each had an M16-A2.

I saw an ad in a Cabela's flyer this weekend, it had an AR scope for 22LR and .223 just can't remember what it was..

I think I would like a low to mid power scope.. Maybe an EOTECH...isn't this a high priced red dot?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If I remember correctly, the average grunt today is using an Eotech and the Designated marksman uses an ACOG. Eotech's start at about $499 and have no magnification.. If my main goal was as a close up defensive weapon I would probably have an Eotech and back up iron sights. For the purposes you mention I would probably go with a low power scope like a 1-4 or similar. Nikon makes a nice M223 scope in 1-4x20 for a fairly decent price. Nikon 1-4x20 M-223 Matte Point Blank Reticle Riflescope FREE S&H 8485. Nikon M-223 AR15 Accessories, Nikon M-223 Rifle Scopes, Nikon AR15 Rifle Scopes.
If you want something with a little more magnification I would seriouly look at a Redfield Revolution in 3-9x40. It is scary how clear the optics are on those things for $200 bucks. Redfield Revolution 3-9x40mm Riflescope - Matte Finish, 4-Plex / Accu-Range Reticle FREE S&H 67090, 67095. Redfield Rifle Scopes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No Batteries Required Either

...What my intended targets may be... Paper, varment and distances are varied 25 to 400 yards, but I'ld like to keep my options open....I think I would like a low to mid power scope...
Varmints at 400 yds.?

I think you would like a low to mid power scope also.

A IMHO a dot scope would cover too much of the target at a 400 yard distance, (depending on the size of the varmint of course) and a scope would allow for more precise shot placement that far away.

I agree with Woodstock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yesterday I picked up an EOTech XPS2-0 HOLOgraphic Sight for my AR.

The XPS2-0 is a nice compact sight keeping the weight down without sacrificing function and reliability. It's powered by a lithium battery and is reported to last 600 hours. While I can't actually verify this claim, just knowing it uses minimal energy gives me the warm and fuzzes...

·
7,825 Posts
;)Just get a good 3x9 compact scope that does'nt depend on batteries-but may have additional illumination with batteries!Ranging capabilities may be helpful also.<_<

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'm all about cheap optics but..

I was really pleased with the PA 1.5-4x cqb scope for my mini14. I have two Bushnell trophy red dot tubes that are still alive and well after 3 years, one on a sabot 12 ga. setup, Kicks like a friggin mule even with the shock absorbing stock, the other is on a CETME. The Cetme actually deserves better but it's in the back of my safe. My LAR8 has a 3-9x Bushnell with a PA mini dot up top. I am actually cleaning out my Garage and Craigs Listing stuff to spend the money on an ACOG 4x .308 doughnut reticule. Like others have said it depends on your eyes and your application. Assuming I spend the rest of my days shooting only four legged critters, where I have shots from 10 yds, to 250 yds. If I still lived in Colorado I would be looking for the most compact variable of the 14x variety. You can keep your body in good condition but your eyes....no workouts for those guys.:(

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
I like the 1x4 optics with a dot in the doughnut reticles, since they work great, are easy to see, and have a nice round/red dot for fast use, and the small center dot for longer range, or exact accuracy use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm running the Leupold Prismatic. No magnification but with an etched reticle and the ability to illuminate in low light. Unfortunately, being in my 40's isn't agreeing with my eyesight, the little red dot doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I would jump all over an ACOG, just not in my budget at the moment.
Here's a pic of the Prismatic....(never-mind the cheesy para-cord attachment, was done as a joke in another forum.)
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know if you purchased your AR optic yet , but if you did and are not happy let me tell you about the best little AR tactical optic I found. The Sig Tac or Sig CP1 The price is$ 140 - 150 It has 3x magnification , it has A, T type etched reticle that can be lighted either red or green and has range marks to 500 meters. I am totally smitten with the clarity size and weight. battery life is up to 6000 hours, and if the battery does die you still have a great reticle to aim with unlike many red dots. And the dam thing looks like it belongs on an AR unlike most scopes

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.