Perfect Union banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with empty gun (for safety, to do at home, and so you can HEAR the hammer fall). Hold a coin on the back of your hand, arm fully extended in front of you, at waist height. Just let the coin fall, draw and dryfire before the coin hits the deck. Naturally, no accuracy is being checked here, and there is no reaction time to any "start" signal, since you are starting the draw. This takes about .55 second, on a man who is 6 ft tall. It's quite easy, with a bit of practice.

With a good rig, or even just IWB, in front of the hip, raked muzzle forward, a really good man can drop the coin as above, and get the gun to eye level, with both hands on it, before the coin hits.

A few dozen men, at most, on the face of the earth, can hold the coin on the back of their weak side hand, with the gun under a hung out T shirt, at the navel, drop the coin, "clear" the shirttail with that weak side hand, draw from IWB, and dryfire before the coin hits the ground. If you get to where you are a member of that elite group, you are one fast gunhandler.

I can no longer always do this with a cocked and locked 1911 variant, and I have to use an Officer's or Defender length gun to do it, but I can demo this speed still, perhaps 1 time in 2 tries, once I have had a few "warmup" draws. I'm 60 years old, so I don't apologize for needing the warmups. "cold" I am at most .15 second slower, so that's not so bad. It's way ahead of almost everyone else, at least. :)

The gun is best worn with the butt at the navel, muzzle pointed at the joint of pelvis and strongside thigh, "fbi" twist, for best concealment. The trigger guard is behing the belt, and a "bump" of leather, about 3/8" thick, is positioned on the rig, so that tightening the belt causes the gun's butt to be "tucked into" my navel. The FBI twist, at navel, helps a lot with comfort when sitting down. So, yes, the wrist has to "twist" a lot to bring the gun out and level. Furthermore, it helps to "shave" the strong side stock panel, near the butt, so as to not ruin the "drape" of the t-shirt, or "snag" on same. you can look as carefully as you want, you can't tell if I am carrying a gun or not. :) This method of ccw does take a flat gut and properly developed pecs, for real concealment, but there is no reason not to have such.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Couple years ago, my brother and his family flew to Idaho to see his wife's parents. While he was there, he got involved with fast draw competition using plastic bullets propelled with primer only. This was his first experience holding or shooting any type of handgun.
From the video's I've seen, he did extremely well.

When he got back to NY, he applied and got his pistol permit. I was so proud of my younger brother, I gave him a S&W Highway Patrolman that belonged to our grandfather.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i learned quite a bit from a Nat'l champ of cowboy fast draw, but the sport itself is silly. nobody is going to let you get all "set" to draw, hand hovering just over the butt of an openly worn gun. so why practice such bs?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Simply because some folks might find it fun. I no longer hunt so what's the sense in going to the range a couple times a week? Because I enjoy it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess, if you have money and time to burn. few of us have enough time and $ to practice needed defensive skills, much less diddle around with cowboy stuff. I guess that most just count on luck to "protect" them. Me, I've run into too many azzhats in my life, and I prefer to be ready to bury them, if need be.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I guess, if you have money and time to burn. few of us have enough time and $ to practice needed defensive skills, much less diddle around with cowboy stuff. I guess that most just count on luck to "protect" them. Me, I've run into too many azzhats in my life, and I prefer to be ready to bury them, if need be.
Cowboy skills? try Hollywood invention because it looks good on screen. Not many shootouts on Main street at high noon unless you spend a lot of time with old movies. If you don't already have a gun in your hand you have poor situational awareness and are not prepared for a gunfight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bs, I've made a draw so fast, several times, that my attacker managed only ONE step. :) there is often no warning sign at all, predators have to be fairly GOOD at what they do, you know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I"m talking about a ccw belt draw, too, not some bs open wear cowboy rig. While I don't bother with a belt carry anymore, I'm also much better at hand to hand than 99.9% of men, and I do put a hand on my gun, in pants pocket holster, in anything like a "risky' sitution. can't do that with any other sort of gun or rig, tho, or you'll soon lose your ccw permit.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
bs, I've made a draw so fast, several times, that my attacker managed only ONE step. :) there is often no warning sign at all, predators have to be fairly GOOD at what they do, you know.
You the king!-_-

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not sure I understand all the emphasis of fast draw. What ever scenarios or drills you practice, when the real thing happens it's not likely to be the way your or I envisioned. The gunfights of the old west were almost always based on a drunken argument getting out of hand or a bushwhack. Being able to bring your firearm into play fast is a good thing, but seldom the decider. Keeping cool in a crisis (not one of my strong points, I regret to say) and maintaining good situational awareness (I think I'm better here) is IMO the way to prevail, that is to say survive. It was a lapse in situational awareness that let Jack McCall take out Wild Bill Hickock, arguably one of the top five old west gunfighters

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so what? the TEST of speed is the only 'wild west" part of the op. it's for you cheapskates who can't be bothered to spend $100 on a modern timer, from shooting chrony. once again, the real deal is a CONCEALED draw and such speed has saved me from having to fire, several times now. Had I been the 1/2 second slower that you are, I'd have had to spend several hundred thousand dollars by now, on legal fees, lost work, etc. you go ahead and be slow if you like. I'm telling guys that one CAN be fast enough to have a big advantage. but you have to work at it, and that's anethema to nearly everybody on the Net gun forums.

·
Registered
344 Posts
so what? the TEST of speed is the only 'wild west" part of the op. it's for you cheapskates who can't be bothered to spend $100 on a modern timer, from shooting chrony. once again, the real deal is a CONCEALED draw and such speed has saved me from having to fire, several times now. Had I been the 1/2 second slower that you are, I'd have had to spend several hundred thousand dollars by now, on legal fees, lost work, etc. you go ahead and be slow if you like. I'm telling guys that one CAN be fast enough to have a big advantage. but you have to work at it, and that's anethema to nearly everybody on the Net gun forums.
You read that in a book and copied it didn't you?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope. I'm the real deal. I got my first shooting timer from Bob Arganbright, who wrote the Leathercraft column for Combat Handguns for many years, Got it in 1978, and I was already able to beat the coin drop to a 2 handed,, eye level point shot, with a speed rig. What the timer (using 1911's and primer only "ammo", mostly did for me, was make me nearly as fast from ccw, from IWB, from under a hung out t shirt.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had Wheaties for breakfast but that doesn't make me an Olympic champion. :lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
nope. I'm the real deal. I got my first shooting timer from Bob Arganbright, who wrote the Leathercraft column for Combat Handguns for many years, Got it in 1978, and I was already able to beat the coin drop to a 2 handed,, eye level point shot, with a speed rig. What the timer (using 1911's and primer only "ammo", mostly did for me, was make me nearly as fast from ccw, from IWB, from under a hung out t shirt.
What's your current edc ccw?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts