Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this one new back in the very early 90's. Put a couple of hundred rounds through the first few year's, then I moved to the city and forgot about it.

Just recently found interest in it again, because of the factory 20 rd magazine's. The rifle itself, is in mint condition. And so is the 3x9x40mm Bausch & Lomb scope (man they made nice scopes back then). Has an old school Fed Ord flash hider and that's about it.

Not sure if I am going to just keep it in its current state or change it up a bit, and make it a little more tactical. And if I decide to make it a little more tactical, what to actually do?

New stock, maybe change flash hider, add a Fastfire III? I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions anyone might have. Would be cool to see what others might do, if anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
That is a nice looking rifle. Just get out and shoot it!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tri70: That I totally agree with!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a few more pix...

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Man that is a beautiful mini. I would keep it just as it is.if you want to spend some money on it. Maybe work on accurizing it. Trigger job? bedded stock? An Accu strut or Mo rod would look good on your Mini. Recoil buffer and or gas valve bushing will help save that nice old scope. Any or all of these things will improve and combine make your Mini a very good shooter.

·
Registered
663 Posts
+1!

Trigger job, strut, bed it.

If you want to go further than that you can, but those are the big three for the older mini.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tommyg: Thanks man!

Since its being shot again, I'll be replaciing the stock for sure, so I can keep the lam stock in nice shape. Pix don't do the stock justice. Will be going with the Bell & Carlson #5292 in a solid black, no checkering.

I'm thinking a trigger job, would be the next thing. I just recently purchased an Accu-Strut SOCOM for my Mini-14. Depending how that performs on the Mini-14, I may install a SOCOM. All ready has a 1911 buffer (forgot to mention that) and it drops brass at my feet. So a different gas bushing may not be needed but, would be fun to play around with.

I'd like to get the barrel threaded for a real flash hider. Resisting that one just a bit though. I would hate to decress the over all value of the rifle, with that mod.

I have one of the new three blade front sight's too. So if I did go with the threaded flash hider, I would still have iron sights.

The Burris Fastfire III has had my attention for sometime now. Would be kind of cool on this rifle. Tough part is trying to figure out the best way to mount one.

·
Registered
620 Posts
That rifle is far too nice as it is to turn into a TactiCool. Maybe chop the barrel to 16.25 and add a different flash hider, after the aforementioned big-three mods.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pet-Rock: Totally agree...

Back 17 years ago, when I was shooting on a regular basis (my Mini Standard and a SS Ranch I had accurized by a Texas company). There weren't all the cool little things they have now for the Mini rifles. And its funny, some of the stuff that is available today, we talked about having back then. It wasn't available though at the time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of cool input...THANKS

Bolero: Just a good functioning rifle with a few things to help make her a little better shooter. Not sure if I'd chop the barrel to 16,25". I reload for it since its the .308" bore. And use a heavier bullet (150 gr.). Could run into some stability issue's with a shorter barrel. Cool idea though, think it would look great.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If its dropping the brass at our feet there is nothing else that needs to be done to the gas system. Ya got it perfect!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a older .308 mini. Bought new in 92. Accurized. Also reload. Like .380 150gr. sierra. Workrd up a good load for 125 gr too.
Looks to me yours is pretty well on its way to being a good shooter. Iv put a few ARs to shame with mine.
Heres a pic of mine with its Yugo cousin. (only pic i have on this puter) LOL I know what you mean about older scopes. The one on my MINI is an old Tasco when they were made in Japan with good Japanese optics. It has held up very well for all these years. Sure better than the junk china tascos these days.
One of the best things i did for my mini was add that 1" rubber butt plate/recoil pad. The longer stock fits me way better and the rubber pad does not slip around on my shoulder. Simple cheap bolt on mod.
DSCN0569.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That be a good looking rifle Tommygunner. How does it like the Hi-Cap magazine? Feed ok? Have you tried the 20 rd magazines with it?

Mine like's the 150 gr. bullets too. Really shoot's nice and no complaints about accuracy.Always managed to hit what I pointed the rifle at. I've never really worried about its paper performance.

20+ years ago, Tasco did make some nice mid level scope's. I owned several of the Japanese made myself. They were always sharp and clear. Then I'd install on the Mini-14 standard and blow em out.

The B&L that's on mine, cost me a hair over $300 bucks back in the early 90's. Had it on a Ruger No 1, 22-250 bull barrel for several years. When I sold the rifle, I pulled the scope and stuck it away. Glad I did...There's no replacing it now.

·
Registered
602 Posts
High cap mags are USA. not made anymore. But any USA mag I have feeds good. Too bad not made anymore, because they work great on a Mini30. Buy them when i find them.
can still find them at gun shows and guntrader.
Have bushings and buffers. So my scope I hope will hold up OK. Had a Nikon prostaff on it. But I really liked the optics sotook it off to use on my 7mm mag (Killed a nice 4x4 mule deer this year with it)
Pulled the Tasco out of the mothballs. Always liked it. seems to be holding up good so far...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think, that is what my 30 rd mags are too if memory serves me correctly. Back in the early 90's, they were about the only one's offering 30 rd mags for the Mini-30.

I've noticed with my Mini-30, its not as near as hard on scope's, unlike my Mini-14, which blew out every scope I tried mounting. The only reason I've pulled a scope off the Mini-30 is to put something better on.

My guess, the recoil buff in the Mini-30 actually does work. Keeping it low on the rec, probably adds to that too.

Congrat's on the Mulie! I miss those good day's of hunting. lol, I'd break my neck now with only one, out of my four limbs that work. The picture of trying to run a unit with a cane and flip flops, is an ugly one. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts