Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keeping my guns and ammo for sure, but mentally I have told myself ammo is to f'ing high and I am not going to shoot this year, or even the next 5 years.

am not going to look at gun magazines, I will not surf Cabelas, Cheaper then dirt, Midway USA. I am not going to waste my time with these damn stupid ass prices.

screw them all to hell.

· Registered
302 Posts
Don't give up. Just keep an eye out and find out when your local wal-mart stocks ammo and be there 15 min prior. I did and I managed to score 3 100 rnd value packs of Federal 9mm for $21 ea OTD a week ago.
Look into reloading as I have seen components on my local Craigslist under the Barter section and occasionally under the sporting goods section as well. Same thing for Armslist, Guntrader, ect.
Try to find places that people don't usually check as often. My buddy found a small website yesterday that sells ammo and managed to clean them out of 9mm and 5.56mm at Pre-panic prices. Abut 1k of each for under $700 total.
DON"T GIVE UP BROTHER! there is ammo out there you just have to find it. You can't afford to go 2 whole years without practicing.

I would suggest getting an airsoft gun modeled after you platform of choice. For instance I got a gas powered 1911. It fits my holster, functions the same as my real 1911 (reciprocating slide, functional safeties, mag drops free, tac light fits, ect), and it is weighted to feel similar to a real 1911.

I use if for holster drills in my back yard with water balloons or plain old blown up balloons as targets. My wife even got into the game and enjoyed it.

You can also use it to practice inside whenever the weather is bad. Use safety pins to attach plain paper targets to pillows and have your wife or someone move them around your house without your knowledge of where they are at and then practice clearing your house utilizing normal lighting and also lowlight (with/without a tac light).

It sounds cheezy but it helps you to learn your house from a tactical stand point and gives you confidence moving through it in a variety of scenerios. Hell you can even play force on force with your wife.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Collect what you can when you can. I picked up a few boxes of bullets and some primers from a local gun shop. All for about normal pricing. Keep your eyes and ears open and you eventually find what you need. Don't forget to barter. Sometimes someone has what you want and you have what they need. It's a deal in the making.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
I am keeping my guns and ammo for sure, but mentally I have told myself ammo is to f'ing high and I am not going to shoot this year, or even the next 5 years.

am not going to look at gun magazines, I will not surf Cabelas, Cheaper then dirt, Midway USA. I am not going to waste my time with these damn stupid ass prices.

screw them all to hell.
Hi Magog;

Not sure where you are, but check to see if any of your local sporting goods stores carry ammo. Do any of your WalMarts?

Here's the good news - stores like Academy and Wally World are getting ammo in, but the shipments are smaller and less frequent than in the past. Prices there have either not gone up or have gone up very little (I refuse to pay more than 50 cents/shot for M193 ball, for example).

Right now, I'm "going the rounds" a couple times a week and make phone calls on a few other days. Found out the delivery schedules and when possible I'm there when the trucks are unloading (so are a bunch of other guys).

If its there and I can use it, I buy it and am stocking up.

To keep shooting with a "real" gun now, pick up a Mosin Nagant for around $200-250 (yeah its gone up but you'll have access to 7.62x54R). Ammo is out there and hits harder than .223.

On the cheap you can get a good quality pellet rifle to sub for the .22LR. There are plenty in the sub $200 category (yeah I'd love a Beeman but don't have a spare $800 or so). Depending on where you are you may even be able to practice in your back yard. Check your local laws.

Don't quit man. It's what obozo and his henchmen want. Even if the shortage lasts the next 4 years, at this rate my emergency reserves will be larger than when they started and that's okay.

Best,
Grumpy
PS And don't forget about magazines and spare parts! Get what you can from numrich and midway. Ruger has magazines but you have to wait. Hang in there!

· Registered
302 Posts
Grumpy made a point that I forgot. Definitely stock up on spare parts and mags for now if you can't find ammo.
I just recieved my order from Brownells for (9) 20 round mags that I placed on 4 Feb. and I recieved them on 28 Feb. Given the current political climate and firearms market that is not a bad turn around at all.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
That is excellent turn around. I just got a text from someone I know that they are selling some .223 bulk ammo. I don't need any, but I will be sure to tell all my friends who I know are looking. Keep your ears open.

· Registered
367 Posts
Magog, you gotta learn to come out of your shell and speak up!:D
But actually if more of us adopted his philosophy on the skyrocket prices we'd all be better served.
Less demand.......more supply!
As to not shooting for 5 years well I guess age has something to do with that.
But over all.............We feel your pain!

· I always been here.......
317 Posts
Don't give up. Just keep an eye out and find out when your local wal-mart stocks ammo and be there 15 min prior. I did and I managed to score 3 100 rnd value packs of Federal 9mm for $21 ea OTD a week ago.
Look into reloading as I have seen components on my local Craigslist under the Barter section and occasionally under the sporting goods section as well. Same thing for Armslist, Guntrader, ect.
Try to find places that people don't usually check as often. My buddy found a small website yesterday that sells ammo and managed to clean them out of 9mm and 5.56mm at Pre-panic prices. Abut 1k of each for under $700 total.
DON"T GIVE UP BROTHER! there is ammo out there you just have to find it. You can't afford to go 2 whole years without practicing.

I would suggest getting an airsoft gun modeled after you platform of choice. For instance I got a gas powered 1911. It fits my holster, functions the same as my real 1911 (reciprocating slide, functional safeties, mag drops free, tac light fits, ect), and it is weighted to feel similar to a real 1911.

I use if for holster drills in my back yard with water balloons or plain old blown up balloons as targets. My wife even got into the game and enjoyed it.

You can also use it to practice inside whenever the weather is bad. Use safety pins to attach plain paper targets to pillows and have your wife or someone move them around your house without your knowledge of where they are at and then practice clearing your house utilizing normal lighting and also lowlight (with/without a tac light).

It sounds cheezy but it helps you to learn your house from a tactical stand point and gives you confidence moving through it in a variety of scenerios. Hell you can even play force on force with your wife.
wtf 21 dollars ? they were 15 a couple month's ago, shelfs are bare here too, i hope the hell it dont say $20+ when they get stocked:unsure:

· Registered
22 Posts
The manufacturers have not stopped making stuff. Ammo is being made. All parts to all platforms are being made. What we are experiencing is the panic hoarding combined with the sudden awakening of hibernating citizens. If you ever wanted a "military" style weapon or large capacity magazines, six months ago was the right time to buy. If you absolutely NEED them, be prepared to PAY for them. All else will get cheaper and easier to find with time.
What surprises me are the things that are hard to find. Parts for common .22's, .38/.357 ammo.
Most of the stuff will be back in a few months. I am seeing large cap magazines on web sites in stock for longer every time they become available.
Be patient and if you do NEED something NOW.....Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.