Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was out shooting Sunday, the wife takes the kids to church, I hit the range. Any way I tried some off handed shooting and all I could see was the scope dancing across the target. I practiced breathing control and tried to support the rifle the best I could but I didn't hit any bulleyes. I hope I was able to hit the cardboard.

So any one have any advice or tips I can use the next time I'm on the range or anywhere else for that matter.

TC:cannon: :trooper:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Tank -
I'm just getting the hang of off-hand shooting in the last few months and I had the same problem you did - can't get the cross hairs to stop moving enough to make a good shot.
Well I fianally spoke with someone who's been shooting competitivly for years and the secret is...those cross hairs will never stop moving! You can only slow them down so much.
The trick is to put 90% pressure on the trigger and when those cross hairs are on target for that fraction of an second increase that trigger press and bingo!
At the least, you should be able to call your shots when that trigger breaks and the cross hairs are off bullseye.
What will help the most is a lot of dry fire practice. Put a black thumb tack on a wall somewhere safe and stand back 15 feet and that should look like your target. It really works.
Good luck and go to chuch on Sunday, it will be good for you and your family! ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tank, let me add something to what djskit said. You can't hold it perfectly still so try a controlled movement like a figure eight and practice your timing to release the shot when in the middle. The key to all will be thru extensive practice, either live or dry fire.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, it is all good. Do you do anything with your stance. I've read all the stuff I could in the gun mags. One suggested about a 45degree angle between the rifle and the body with the rifle pointed at the target.

Do you tuck your elbow in or hold it out? Also how do you use the sling to your advantage?

As a tanker I didn't get a lot of rifle instruction. Or small arms at all, now I do better with a 105MM cannon but on the move its a lot like off handed shooting you have to use the best sight picture you drift through, it will never be perfect.

Bench shooting can be fun but I think off hand accuracy is the real goal. The BGs or a deer aren't going to wait for you to set up your sandbags.

TC:cannon:

or should it be:sniper:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Uncle Lamar could shoot better than anybody I've seen. He took the head of a turtle at 50 yards with a .22LR, quick as a flash. He asked his dad, "Do you care about those pond turtles?" My grandad said, "No, I don't care." He didn't take a second to send it to the great pond in the sky. He was offhand shooting.

At the time, he was a SWAT team member. One thing he said about his shooting was he didn't drink caffeine. I like coffee and shooting, guess I'll have try and control the rifle as best I can.

KC

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have found that if you wear tight clothes when your shooting it helps slow down those crosshairs and as for the standing you have to find out where your most comfy and theres where you will shoot best with lost of practise..

·
Registered
723 Posts
Way back it seems when I was in the Academy, they taught us to stand in the t posiion.Actualy for about everything for better balance. Its actually a Martial arts technique to help maintain balance if your right handed stand with your left leg as if you were standing sideways. Then turn your body at your target,with your right foot facing your target.Kind of like the word says T position. It should improve off handed shooting skills with minimal practice. Hope I explained this so that you could understand.

Good Shooting!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
TankCommander, You ever watched them guys in a Scheutzen match? Back in about 1976 while at college and just getting into the shooting sports, I met a guy that built those rifles. He built a true 33 caliber rifle and then built the second one from measuring the first one. Those two rifles were built on Martini actions and had 1/10,000 variance between the two!!! This guy had a lot more time and money than I did, (or have)!!!!!! They would take these guns out, put their little hand grips(screwed into the foreend at the right length) lean back resting their left elbow into their ribs and shoot sub-MOA groups!!! Try that technique sometime. I know we don't have the foreend grips but the technique seems to work!! GHD

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks Rugster for that advise but it strained some muscles that don't normally get strained. Maybe I didn't get it right. Then maybe, it's a good technique to train to. It put a uncomfortable twist in my torso and squeezed my privates so I couldn't hold the mini steady.

Let's see if I got this correct. I stand sideways with my left leg on the target side and left foot perpendicular to the target. I then cross my right leg ahead of the left leg and lean into the target. That also puts little pressure on the testicles. Is this for real?

Maybe this training technique is more conducive to moving a soldier forward, instead of standing ground?

Any suggestions, except those involving contortions to inspect internal anatomy, would be appreciated.

KC

·
Registered
51 Posts
When shooting off hand I can tell you the single most important item within your specific stance. You must have natural point of aim. If you have everything else correct, but not the natural point of aim, provided you have time, like when shooting targets, you wont shoot near what you are capable of. Close your eyes, relax, while you have the gun in shooting position, let your body go naturally where it will, actually let the gun go naturally towards where it wants to point. Ensure that you are relaxed, not forcing the gun toward anywhere. Now open your eyes, you will usually find that you're not pointing at the target any longer. Now move just the rear foot either forward or backward to adjust your position, moving your point of aim as needed, pivoting with the forward foot. You only need to move slightly to affect a change in where you are pointing. After you move, go through the same process with your eyes closed again. With practice, you will develop muscle memory in lining up properly to the target without having to go through all this each time, at least you will get the natural point of aim closer. If everything else is right with your stance, and you have this correct also, your scopes cross hairs should settle down a whole lot. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts