Perfect Union banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in owning my first ar. I live in NY so I need a NY compliant gun. 10 rnd mag, no flash hider, fixed stock. If I was looking to build a carbine do you think it would be worth while, money wise, to build it up or should I just buy a pre built NY compliant gun and add parts as I see fit. It seems like its hard to find NY compliant uppers and stocks and such over the net. Free state parts are much easier to source out at better prices. Not to many gun shops around here have ar's on the rack nowadays, believe it or not. I have found the smith m&p's for a small markup fee. Also just to add I think I am capable of blindly building up an ar, even never owning one before. The point of wanting to build my own was to learn as much as I can about the gun and I dont mind breaking a few eggs to do so. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There aren't really any NY compliant uppers or stocks that I am aware of. I assume all you need is a fixed/pinned stock, as you said, and those are all over the place. An upper is an upper either way (I am talking about stripped uppers). If you can't have a flash hider, I assume you can't have any muzzle device, which means a crowned barrel. But I don't know too much about NY since I have never lived there. I did find this link that may be of some help.

Making your AR15 NY ban compliant - AR15.COM

TG

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It seems to me that you would be ahead of the game money wise to build it. If you just need a crowned barrel and fixed stock, that is easy. It would probably be easier to find in a rifle length (20") barrel than in carbine length either way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Pre-ban 20 & 30 round mags are NY legal and easy to find. Muzzle brakes are good to go. If you have a threaded barrel, the brake must be silver soldered in place and blind pinned from what I hear. Bayonet lugs must be removed. I've done a few builds and my favorite is the retro A1 style. If you're around Saratoga or Lake George, PM me, I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
(I see this is an old topic but I thought it might be helpful if someone finds it now, as I did...)

I am in New York State. In 2013, the NY "SAFE Act" went into effect, banning many semi-auto rifles, including the AR. Like the old national AWB, the law did list various "evil features" but was far more restrictive. It's my understanding that as of today in NYS, the only legal AR15 build must not only have a fixed stock and NO bayonet lug or flash hider but it must also have a "permanently fixed" magazine installed. I've seen some rifles around here with 5-round mags pinned into the lower.

As for ARs owned before the law passed, it required that the owner "register" the weapons, which included fingerprints, a background check and giving the state the right to "inspect where the weapons are stored" as they desire. I do not know if the new "disabled" rifles also require the insane registration protocol. I do know that rifles the politicians considered less evil did not call for any crazy registration, just the usual instant check at time of purchase.

Be well.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Move. It doesn't matter how much family friends, etc are there. Stop rewarding that communist bastion with your tax dollars! Starve the bolsheviks!

Reactions: Lexington

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I live here because of family and a good job. There are lots of things relating to quality of life. Firearms is not one of them. So we will move when we retire. Example I had to travel to Germany. I had an appointment on the 20th of May to turn in my application for a pistol permit. I waited since last August for that appointment. Now the earliest appointment is next April. A right delayed is a right denied. Immagine if this was registration to vote?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
With no offense intended, I stand by my post. DH, you are absolutely correct, firearms do not improve quality of life, until they do. With all the nonsense and communist laws, I simply cannot see myself residing anywhere in that state at all. Good LORD, you have a governor who is prob responsible for hundreds, if not thousands of nursing home deaths due to the wu-flu. The majority of a voting district ACTUALLY VOTED TO INSTALL AN ABSOLUTE MORON COMMUNIST AS A U.S. REPRESENTATIVE! i am referring to alexandria cortez, of course, but there are, and have been many more.
I really don't care about the "development opportunities", if the proceeds from said development goes to feed the communist beast in albany, or nyc....

Reactions: dh1633pm

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
None taken. Make a sh*tload plus a year at the job. That's why I stay. Unique skill set and location. Putting a good sum away.

Heck the majority in my district voted for a communist republican (Katco). The rest voted for communist democrats. 2rangers, I respect you totally. Always read your posts. Always understand them. When I retire I am moving to East Tennessee or Northern Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi or other parts of the deep south that agree with my politics. Anyhow, I comply with the law : ) . Doesn't mean that everything that is mine resides with me. And yes I hate that those in Albany have taken a state with great quality of life and made it a crap hole. You should see how beautiful this area is year round.

2rangers, If you ever find yourself in Central NY for any reason, there is always a spot at my table and a beer with your name on it in the fridge.

IMG_2530.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
LOL. Gotta love a man who mixes metaphor with magic marker!

Central New York?! I lived up there for a few years, back in the 90s. I loved it. Back then, I was about 400 miles from NYC. Still subject to NYS laws but I was surrounded by hills, farms, open land and nice folks who could stop at the local grocer on the way home for a six pack, a newspaper and a box of ammo.

Different world from where I am now, an hour away from Grand Central.

Be well.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
DH, Thanks for the offer!! I do appreciate it. You are brave and strong to stay in a place where a good portion of the lawmakers resent everything you stand for.
Your similar to SF, behind enemy lines..

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
If I'm ever in the area, I will def. let you know!

Reactions: dh1633pm
1 - 14 of 14 Posts