Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm new here but a long time shooter. I used to comp shoot pistols but got out of that years ago. I continued to shoot but for fun. Last year I decided it was time to renew my ccw and I have been shooting once a week in pistol plus I got into sporting clays and shoot 3-4 times a month in that as well.

I never got into combat style long guns but inlieu of what may be coming I have decided to get my first AR like a few other million people lol! I was at my l.G.S. and picked up a stripped lower because I new right away I wanted to build my own. The past few weeks I have been spending alot of time on the net trying to educate myself on the world of the AR. As you all know there is alot of good and bad stuff to sort through and decern what info is factual and good vs opinion.

Having said that I am planning to build this gun to be a shooter. I love to shoot and do it often. I am planning to take some tactical rifle classes and make this my training and SHTF rifle. Ultimately I plan on a gun that will be reaching 100-125 yards max. I am most concerned with wieght and durability so any feedback on my parts plan is highly accepted.

So far I have a forged 7075 stripped lower, dpms ultimate repair kit and 6 magpul 30 rnd mags. I am planning to finish the lower with a rock river 2 stage trigger, Bravo co gunfighter grip, milspec buffer tube, and Spikes tactical st buffer. I have not decided it the buffer will be a t1 or t2 so any feedback here would be great. Finally I am looking at Magbul Carbine stocks either the ctr or str. I like the light wieght of the ctr but have been told that the benefit of the comfortable str cheek rest outwieghs the wieght saving. What do you guys think? Lastly an ambi safety and enhanced magpul trigger guard.

For my upper I am going to get a striped upper and run a high quality bolt probly nickel boron for durability and reliabilty. Unless the concencus is that there is another more cost effective solution that offer comparable performance and durability. A high end 16" barrel like noveske stainless or comparable With a quality flash supressor. I do not want a pencil profile barrel. I will run a D.I gas system for wieght saving. I like the Bravo co gunfighter charging handle but am open to others. Optics I am thinking aimpoint but again open to other suggestion. I will run a folddown cowitness sight system as well. The Troy sights seem really nice.

So as the summer moves along I will continue to acquire parts, assemble, learn. I look forward to your feedback and advise for this tactical rifle newb in Florida.

Here is my current lower atop my Matco tool box.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:Going shopping I see.Check out lots of sites and get the best price and products that you can-but bare in mind that there are some lower quality sites that still sell good parts-so don't omit them either.<_<

·
Registered
66 Posts
AR build

May I suggest that you view the video on the Brownells website on AR builds. They also have the specialty tools you'll need; punches, roll pin punches, front detente tool, a wrench for the barrel nut, to name just a few.
I have an at home business building them and have found that Aero Precision uppers and lowers to be very consistent in quality. I've used a Black Hole Weaponary 16" mid-length gas, 1:8 twist barrel on my last build. "Scary" accurate. Lastly, I would also suggest a steel clamp on gas block. Yankee Hill makes a good combination front flip/gas block. You will find the recoil impulse improved on a mid length, particularly with the Spikes ST-T2 buffer. God luck and enjoy your project, if I can be of any more help, feel free to contact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the yankee hill stuff as well as the vids. I watched a series by gun website I think on youtube, but will check the other as well. I did make a few calls around my area and found alot of the lower parts that I want at local lgs's so hopefully by next week I will have most of my lower parts that I will need minus the spikes t2 and the rra trigger. Foliage is a tuff color to find. Black and fde represent most of the local inventory.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I 2nd Blackhole barrels. They are very well priced, stupid accurate and the 1/8 twist offers the best of the 1/7 and 1/9 twist "worlds". Mid-gas is the way to go too, in my opinion. If you are going to use this as a SHTF weapon, I suggest a scope since it doesn't run on batteries. For the purpose you are describing the Weaver 1-3x20 classic is a awesome scope. I have one on my AR-22 and one coming for my Draco SBR. Also, if you are looking for a RRA 2-stage trigger, I have one for sale in the parts section...WTS RRA 2-stage trigger - Shooting Sports Forum

Most of all, have fun and really get to learn the platform while building it. FYI, they multiply when you aren't looking!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just out of curiosity... Have you found any places with parts that are actually IN STOCK??

:)
Several of my lgs are getting stuff in and since I am a regular customer for most of them they treat me right on my purchases. From what I have seen upper parts are harder to get for some reason but I'm assuming that is because people are building multiple uppers for each lower to run different setups and save money. Having said that even uppers and parts are in stock local. Granted not every high end component but if I was going to throw one together I could get everything local today if I wanted.

I am also not one of these omg I need it yesterday types so patience is the key to not get slaughtered on pricing. Some of the pricing out there is just laughable not only on what people ask but what some are willing to pay.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
Surplus arms and ammo out of Tacoma Wa. has parts. I got all mine for the current build last week.
;)+1 surplus arms has some good stuff!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well for an update picked up a millspec tube and castle nut along with a promag end plate. My wife called me today to let me know my rock river arms lower parts kit minus trigger assembly came in today. I am in dallas this week taking a class and was up last night goofing on the net. I was looking at CMC Trigger and learned they are right here. I drove to their place today and got to meet both Jack and Debbie Biegel. They both took time out of their schedule to take me on a tour and Jack personally assembled me a flat style trigger for my AR project. Super nice people and can't wait to get it installed. This trigger is really sweet. No take up crisp 3.5lb brake, exactly what a good trigger system should be. The flat style trigger is very comfortable to me and I like the fact my finger is further forward and has that little foot to rest on. But for those of you with these triggers you already know this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frustration!

Well tonight I finally got some time to myself and decided to asemble my lower.

Everything was moving along slowly until I was putting in my CMC trigger. The pins were really tough to get instaled but finally a little tap from the brass hammer got them going. However once I was ready to put in the safety selector I hit a wall. It looks like the holes machined in the reciver are a little off and it has the CMC trigger tilted rear up a but. This ever so slightly blocking the safety selector switch from sliding in.

I guess I am going to have to wait untill monday to contact AR five seven about this and see what they say. Total bummer If I have to take this all aprt to send it back in for a new receiver. Maybe some of you have a suggestion?

Here is a pick minus the installed safety switch, Magpul Bad lever and BCM foliage gunfighter grip which is in route.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Safety Alterations?

My Jewell trigger came with this warning which got me to wondering if maybe your safety just needs to be modified to fit and operate properly with that trigger?

Seems I read somewhere that in some cases the safety can be slid in, but in other cases there is a different sequence for installation.

But heck I'm just guessing for a possible solution anyway . :rolleyes:

Yea give those folks a call and I'm sure they have the correct answer for you.

Looks like your having a great time though putting it all together...Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok talked to Dennis at AR five Seven and he said that they mill a shallow trigger area in these units and that with a standard trigger you have to place the trigger unit in then install the safety then pin in. So I took the pins out of the cmc and everything dropped in as he said it should. so now the lower is complete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.