Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did it, I finally put in my 2 week notice, which means I'll only be around here for 2 more weeks and then I'll most likely be gone for good, something that I'm sure at least some of you will rejoice over. No, I don't really have internet service at home as my smartyphone only gets 1 bar of signal and it's generally useless to try and do much of anything on the internet.

I may go back to work, I dunno, but for right now I'll be laying low for a while whilst I re-evaluate my life after taking the buttraping I just received from these children who run things here, I'm done with them. Lie, cheat, and steal with enough promises to use an old man up until he's done and then kick him to the curb after years of exemplary service.

Anyway I didn't want to end up like Dirty Harry, who simply disappeared from the site leaving everyone to wonder what the hell happened! (Well I sort of did really, as I like a good mystery... maybe I'll save that one for my errant children!)

Godspeed all, and keep yer powder dry! I'll be around for a couple weeks yet on the weekends, unless they toss me out straight off when I give them my notice tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Parnelli, you'll be fine. Work to live, not live to work...You're approaching the "live" part. There are some technical solutions, starting with perhaps finding a better cellular provider. There are also cell-signal amplifiers, with an external antenna. that aren't much coin and may help. I operated off of one for a few years.

Then there is always McDonalds or most places that offer free WiFi.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
No FIOS or DSL or satellite out there, wherever there is? Maybe Biden's infrastructure plan will bring cable to your underserved area. -

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Sorry to see you go Parnelli, but it sounds like you're making a wise choice; really wish I could pull the plug right now and go off-grid myself. Too many family commitments here.

Anyway, hope you'll find a way to occasionally drop by for an online chat but if not, that's life.

Take good care of yourself and have a happy life!
Grumpy
PS Give the lefties hell wherever you go! I know you will, just wanted to add an "attaboy!" of encouragement.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I've been retired (totally) for almost 15 years. It's been like heaven. I never liked working at all.

You're right........managed by young idiots who had no idea what they were doing and I had to say, "Yes.......that idea might work."

Which I knew was bull****.

So........enjoy.

You will be missed (even though you got a little ornery sometimes) and we'll all be happy to see you visit when you can get to a place with Internet service.

Until then......have fun.

Reactions: Parnelli

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hey, enjoyed your exchanges around here. Not sure what the connection is with working and internet...? If you were just talking about going off the grid (e.g. "this world"), it would make some sense. (Thought you might've said something about needing to travel for internet access, which seemed to fit with why you would catch up with all the posts on the weekend.)

Seems like kind of a depressing time to be discussing stuff. Seems like things should be unravelling by now, but some how all the rot is holding itself together! I think it's got to be about the most resilient "total rot" the world has ever seen! lol

Hope you find your good space!

Reactions: Parnelli

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
The thread title sounded more ominous than the reality of the situation. Yeah, DH left everyone wondering what happened since he was such a fixture around here. I assumed the worst when his posts stopped. Would have been too opinionated for the new owners anyway. Members have been dropping like flies around here.

My 10 year old Ipad doesn't work with the forum's new format so I haven't posted in weeks. Just got the old HP laptop back online last night after the Wifi quit working. Had to get an Ethernet connection set up. I've decided to get a new Ipad but the estimate is mid July for availability.

I've used fast food locations, infinity hotspots, and the library for free internet access for many years. I always figured....why pay for it if you don't have to?

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No FIOS or DSL or satellite out there, wherever there is? Maybe Biden's infrastructure plan will bring cable to your underserved area. -
I could go with Hughes satellite were I rich... the last time I checked it would cost me about 150 bucks a month for internet plus equipment rentals and service fees out here in the middle of nowhere, and I can live without it.

Biden can shove his nation destroying infrastructure plan where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Parnelli, perhaps once StarLink is really up and running and gets more subscribers, it may be a viable option. Big initial equipment fee (~$500) and about $99 a month for the service right now, but the service is pretty much reliable, no usage caps, and bandwidth sufficient for streaming, etc.

Or maybe a different cellular provider or an amplified antenna...

Will miss you though. I've always found your posts interesting and often-times insightful.

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the replies here folks, thank you! I'll try not to be a total stranger, but yeah, my life is about to change in a big way, and money isn't going to be such a great part of it any more, so I have to be frugal. I haven't received a reply to my notice yet, but it is a holiday weekend. Here's what I sent my boss this morning:

6+ Number of years I have faithfully served this establishment.

0 Number of times I failed to answer or return a call, message, or text come in, and fix a crisis.

3+ Number of weeks waiting for an answer on a vacation request.

8+ Number of days waiting on an answer over a mistake on my paycheck.

0 Amount of tolerance left for such poor treatment.

2 Number of weeks that I am further willing to put up with it.

Good morning, hope you are having a great holiday weekend! Please consider this my 2 week notice, my last day of availability will be Sunday June 13th. Thank you for your consideration.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
I sort of sympathize Parn, years back I got scat out of a bonus (I welded pressure hot water pipe for a large building heat) so I surrepticously left them a 'donut' flow restrictor in a branch off a header. betch'a those engineers scratched their heads raw before solving that puzzle.

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My vindication will come the next time something breaks that they can't figure out; just happened Friday, when I got to work an entire line had been down for a few hours and they were having trouble figuring it out. Turns out the knife switch in the disconnect went bad on one of the poles causing power problems. I had it up and running before their 10:30 lunch break.

The next time they may not be so lucky, as I told them once I leave my shadow will never darken their threshold again.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I could go with Hughes satellite were I rich... the last time I checked it would cost me about 150 bucks a month for internet plus equipment rentals and service fees out here in the middle of nowhere, and I can live without it.

Biden can shove his nation destroying infrastructure plan where the sun don't shine.
Which part of Biden's infrastructure proposal is going to destroy this nation?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
My last employers were such total mind-f- scumbags that I adopted the same strategy I later heard Jeff Sessions did when Trump was riding him so hard to not recuse himself from Trump's legal problems and so forth. Sessions always kept a letter of resignation ready to be signed and dated to present if things got too gnarly. No job is worth getting stressed to the breaking point. G-d- people refuse to learn! That stuff about not being allowed vacation is a definite deal breaker. Same goes for excessive or superfluous after-hours calls. Can go total "Boy Who Cried Wolf". Fact is stranger than fiction! SCUM BAGS!

·
Banned
2,020 Posts

·
Banned
2,020 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I don't see where rebuilding this country's crumbling infrastructure is destructive, unless you think tearing down an old bridge to replace it with a new one is destructive. Again, what is your point?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts