Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why wouldn't an M1 eject the brass at 1 0'clock? Mine always comes out from 3 to 4 o'clock. sometimes it's so bad the neck will get dinged on the receiver?

No Longer Involved
I've asked some folks on the M1-M14 list to stop by and answer your question.

Timing can be affected by lots of things. First off, is the rifle clean and greased properly? Second, do you have a fresh op-rod spring in it?

Lastly, even though I checked all of those, I had a Garand that spewed it's stuff everywhere (grin).

I now have 2 Garands, one that I've shot before but is now in new furniture and needs to be zero'd, and the other I just got and haven't been to the range with.

------------------
[email protected]
http://perfectunion.com/

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rifle is clean as can be, and the ONLY parts that weren't replaced with new, (well as new as you can get) are the barrell and receiver.

Registered
Hi, Steve,

Note that the true ejector of the M1 and M14 is the op rod hump. The little plunger in the bolt face (yeah, I know, it's called the ejector, but its role is as a bit player) sets up the case for the op rod hump to bat it out at 1-2:00. That's one reason that cases get beat up. That's also the reason that the last case in a clip just dribbles out; the op rod is locked back and doesn't bat the case.

First thing to confirm (yes, you said you had "new" parts, but were they really *new*?) is that the op rod spring, ejector plunger spring and extractor spring are brand new USGI. If not, change 'em out.

Next, the ejection pattern only applies to Cal..30 Garands shooting M2 Ball or M72 Match. Ammo will have an affect on ejection patterns (particularly reloads, but that's another subject). Cal..308/7.62MM Garands need some ejector/extractor spring tweaking to get a 1-2:00 pattern. My untweaked Cal..308 (not from Fulton Armory, but an OK gun nonetheless) threw its brass about 20 ft. at 3:00!

Hope this helps.

------------------
Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton Armory Webmaster

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Operating rod, op rod spring, ejector plunger spring, extractor spring, and bullet guide were all bought *new* from a Springfield Armory booth at Camp Perry a couple years back. Different ammo doesn't seem to have an effect either. I've mostly fired that surplus Greek stuff, but have also fired LC, and recently my own (M2 ball) reloads.

I've switched in/out different ejectors with no effect either?

The barrell has seen better days, I'll probably just have the whole thing "tuned up"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts