Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone loaded the Silver Tip Nosler yet? I have a Mini-14 .223 with a 1:9 twist. I'm looking at a load of 25 grains of H335 under a 50 grain Silver Tip. Does this sound about right?

Targetslayer

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Yeah it will work, but you should really do a load development- start low and work up looking for signs of pressure and accuracy. What do your manuals say about your desired load?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My manual is showing,
Hornady is 21.8 gr - 25.7 gr
Nosler is 24.0 gr - 26.0 gr
Sierra is 24.3 - 26.4

I was looking for someone who has been loading them.

Targetslayer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone loaded the Silver Tip Nosler yet? I have a Mini-14 .223 with a 1:9 twist. I'm looking at a load of 25 grains of H335 under a 50 grain Silver Tip. Does this sound about right?

Targetslayer
Shot a bunch of the nosler 52 grain target bullets with 25 grains of H335 thru a 223 bolt gun. The old bolt gun has a 1:12 twist. These loads shot great in my old varmiter.

Hope this helps.

leroy

·
Empty Member
290 Posts

Targetslayer
Are you talking about the Combined Technologies Silver tip made by Nosler ? If so , I have have a very accurate load for a 1 in 9 bull AR , that will do a consistent ~ . 5 , 5 shot 100 yard group at 100 , with Benchmark powder . Tried some work ups for the Mini with these using Varget and 4895 , and results were mediocre at around 2 inches . Bullet seems to like the faster powders , and I am planning on a few more work ups for the Mini if this deep freeze ever breaks around here .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it's the "Combined Technologies" Silver Tip made by Nosler.

Targetslayer

·
Registered
338 Posts
Shot a bunch of the nosler 52 grain target bullets with 25 grains of H335 thru a 223 bolt gun. The old bolt gun has a 1:12 twist. These loads shot great in my old varmiter.

Hope this helps.

leroy
Ditto on that.
The 52 custom competition is one of the favorite bullets for my son's Rem. 700 (9 twist) with Varget. Too light for my 7 twist Mini though.
Haven't tried their hunting bullets...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have found in my ar and bolt guns in .223 that benchmark is a good way to go so far the only rifle I have that likes Varget is my .243. 25 grains of benchmark seems to be the magic number for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Range Update

I have tested the 50 Grain Nosler SliverTip Combine Technology Bullet. I found using 25.5 Grains of H335 powder I will get groups at 50 yards of one inch with open sights. I'm very happy with them and would recommend them. Very explosive and flat shooting. I was comparing them with the Barnes 36 Grain Varmint Grenade and found them to be very close to the same impact energy but greater weight and penetration. I was testing them with paper targets and gallion water jugs. Great show :lol:.

Targetslayer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts