Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into an chinese sks in mint shape at A pawn shop , its been some time that i have seen one in mint shape like this one , most of the ones i see are good to fair shape , so i asked about the price , the dealer said $400 total tax and all , i told him too much , he sad he could not take A penny less , i told him that i could not go that much , so folks whats yalls opinion , how much would give ? would you pay that or pass on it ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing rare , or I say what might be odd is A bake-a-light hand guard, (not wood) through the gas tub , I never seen A sks with that , or some one could just put it on ?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You will probably find a few SKS of various origins at a gun show, and we often see them carried around on a shoulder.

They can be almost as common as Mosin Nagants at Memphis area shows.

Don't let any sellers try to fool you.
Our so-called White House "leaders", to use the term Very loosely, can not risk wasting very limited "political capital" on any secondary issues for a while (new gun/ammo taxes and regs), with a serious recession on the Gulf Coast getting worse by the day, and more bad news on home construction and foreclosures.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just found one in an ad locally that somebody bubba'd with a folding Zytel stock and dust-cover mounted Tasco 4 X 32 scope for 2 bills. That's cheaper than I've seen for some time and they're usually asking 250 to 350 for Norinco's hereabouts.

I took the bubba stuff off (and put it with all the other bubba stuff I bought back in the day) and replaced the folder with my Chikom fiberglass stock and guard. I'll use the dust cover for now until another standard one surfaces.

He also gave me two boxes of Wolf copper-jacketed ammo, which I haven't seen for a while. It was pretty pricey when it was still available. It'll come in handy for the hotter weather this month and next when steel jackets tend to set fires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OTOH, given that CHICOM SKS (or anything CHICOM gun-related) are NLA since Klinton, and that they are highly regarded as 2nd to the Russian guns, and, that beater Yugo's go for almost as much - a CHICOM SKS foir $400.00 isn't all that far out of line for a nice one.

Can't go back to the 80's for $50.00 CHICOM SKSs anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OTOH, given that CHICOM SKS (or anything CHICOM gun-related) are NLA since Klinton, and that they are highly regarded as 2nd to the Russian guns, and, that beater Yugo's go for almost as much - a CHICOM SKS foir $400.00 isn't all that far out of line for a nice one.

Can't go back to the 80's for $50.00 CHICOM SKSs anymore.
A lot of those things (Norinco and suchlike) are being brought in on the sly from Canada. I wouldn't want to be caught in the position of trying to explain to BATFE :eek:how I happened to be in possession of a new Chinese gun. I wouldn't mind having a new Chinese SKS but it sure isn't worth 5 years of my life in a fed crowbar hotel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A lot of those things (Norinco and suchlike) are being brought in on the sly from Canada. I wouldn't want to be caught in the position of trying to explain to BATFE :eek:how I happened to be in possession of a new Chinese gun. I wouldn't mind having a new Chinese SKS but it sure isn't worth 5 years of my life in a fed crowbar hotel.
There are still minty pieces from all countries to be found out there.

In the past 2 years I've come accross unfired Russians and "paratroopers" and 2 CHICOMs that I snagged as keepers - a Kengs marked one and a Norinco marked one; both were found in pawnshops in run-down areas of run-down cities in run-down rust-belt states in my travels.

The Kengs was unfired - based on the nightcrawler of cosmo I pushed out of the gas tube, and the Norinco is a threaded bbl gun and was just a wee-bit cleaner than the Kengs.

Right now, the economy is so baaaaaaaaaaaad, that folks are dragging these out of closets and safes just so they can eat another week. Some were used and abused with all the corrosive CHICOM ammo of the 80's, some were barely touched.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Another local ad had a 1968-dated (approximate) Chikom with all the original gear (bayo, sling and cleaning kit) for 2 bills. The stock's got a few dings but everything's otherwise in great shape. It's all milled with threaded barrel and all matching too. Took it out and ran 20 rounds through it just to be sure all's OK. It's quite accurate at about 300 yds, but I always turn those flat top kommie front sights down to a point in my drill press to give a better sight pic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
$400 is too much for a shooter to me. They still can be had for $200-$300. They're good guns with some quirks, cheap to shoot, and the worst ones should still group in a paper plate at 100 yards. PAX

·
Registered
13 Posts
$400 is too much for a shooter to me. They still can be had for $200-$300. They're good guns with some quirks, cheap to shoot, and the worst ones should still group in a paper plate at 100 yards. PAX
$400 is way too much for a clunky noisemaker.

Owned 2 of them & minute-of-pie plate is about right for the accuracy level.

The SKS (7.62 x 39) rifles did the job they were designed for reasonably well........a close range fighting gun.

The bonafide snipers carried Dragunovs (7.62 x 54) for the longer range work. :ar15:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The seller still thinks it's 2008.
as mentioned with the economy in shambles, gun buys are
like home buys, it's a complete buyers market.
Lights getting shut off, car note due, no job, guns are one of the first things
to go for sale.
Let him sit on it and gather dust.
A lot of people are in denial.

$300 is a decent price. $325 tops in perfect condition.
I have seen them for $249 locally for the Norincos.
$300-$325 for the Ruskies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a norinco about 6 months ago in what I would call excellent shape for $195.00. Super nice bore and finish.
I am not a collector but a user so I have mounted a 4x scope and installed a choate draganov stock and forearm and purchased a 5 round mag for it. I intend to send the trigger off to Kivaari for a trigger job. Then watch out hogs:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had my Yugo M59/66A1 for about 5 years and my Factory 26 NIB Chinese SKS for about 3 years,I gave $149 and $225 respectively the Yugo was in excellent condition and the Chinese as stated NIB.

Both are excellent shooters and do 2" or less at 100 yds. even better with cast bullet loads. I treat them like any other rifle I own,if you adjust the sight properly and find the ammo they like best they shoot just as well as any other rifle.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I should have bought a truckload when they were $79 a piece and ammo for them was $39 a thousand ( all in stripper clips):wacko:
I have no idea of what they run now, they were roughly made but dependable. Lots of nice Yugos out there for that or less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sks

Just picked up a #'s matching chicom for 150 today, metal is almost perfect, bore is perfect. The only thing was it has a wood stock that had the orange colored laquer finish on it which i've seen a time or two. But someone stripped the finish off and oiled the stock. But did a crappy job so it still has the orange finish in the nooks and crannies. I dont no what the deal is with the people that say minute of pie plate. I have 2 tula's and 2 chicom's one which hasnt been shot yet but group 2-3" groups at 100 with wolf military classic ammo. My 52 Tula with Tech Sights regularly groups 1.5-2" groups with the same ammo and 1" with handloads. It kills me when people cant shoot for a &#*@ then go buy a high dollar custom or a mega magnum and still can't shoot for @&#( or talk trash about a particular rifle cause they can't shoot for @&%$

1 - 20 of 51 Posts