Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am looking to get a nice, reliable, and decently accurate SKS, or variation, and was wondering what you guys thought about the Norinco SKS and the Yugoslavian M-59's.

Here are the links to the two Yugo M-59's I am looking at:

http://www.marstar.ca/m-59.htm

http://www.marstar.ca/spec-rif.htm

Take a look and tell me what you think. Keep in mind these prices are in Canadian.

Any experiences with these rifles as opposed to the chinese SKS's?

Thanks guys!

-CanuckShooter

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Yugo SKS's are built like tanks, and are the sturdiest, and heaviest SKS I have ever handled. They do not have chromed bores like the Russian and Chinese SKS rifles, which may or may not be a concern to you.
A chrome lined bore would make cleaning much easier, especially if you're going to be shooting some of that nasty Chinese ammo in your gun, or exposing the gun to lots of extreme climates. If you don't plan on abusing your rifle, I wouldn't worry about the chrome. We all have lots of unchromed guns that seem to get along just fine without it.
What can I say about the Chinese SKS that already hasn't been said? They're good shooters and are probably the standard which we measure SKS's by in the United States these days since there are SO MANY of them over here now.

If you want something a little more unique and substantial feeling, pick up one of those Yugo's, namely the one with the grenade launcher. (I will be nabbing myself a pair of them as soon as I make a run up to the local gunshop)
If you'd rather have a somewhat lighter, more compact gun, with the chrome bore, pick up a Chinese model. Get the "paratrooper" model with the short barrel if you'd like an even smaller gun, if they sell those up in Canada.

Either way you'd probably be pretty happy with your SKS. There really isn't much that can go wrong with them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the Norinco and am pleased with it. The only mod it did was replace the cheap Chi-Com wood stock with a black Ramline synthetic. I held a Yugo with Grenade launcher at the range two weeks ago, keep in mind that the Yugo is heavier not only because of the steel, but the launcher and bayonet add weight and make it muzzle heavy. Then of course you could always take them off. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
My own personal experience with owning and shooting two Norincos and one Yugo SKS, is that the Yugo is by far the more accurate shooter. The Yugo is heavier also due to the stout hard wood stock - no fear of breakage in this chunk of wood!
The Norincos have the typical soft and lightweight Chinese wood.
Open-sighted or scoped, the Yugo shines! :cool:
The lack of a chrome bore is a good thing - as long as it hasn't been abused before you get it. Just a personal prejudice, but I believe a none-chrome bore is more accurate. With proper gun care and cleaning, you've nothing to worry about.
My Mosins, Mausers and Enfields still have good shiny bores after years of shooting corrosive ammo. I should buy stock in Birchwood-Casey. ;)
I like the extra weight up front with the grenade launcher/sight assembly, but the slicker M59 would be a good rifle too.
If you get the Yugo, first check out the gas tube and piston - wear and pitting here will cause cycling problems, but the fix is generally quite simple. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I havent shot both, but I have a Norinco and it is dead on accurate out to 75 or so yards (dont know beyond that b/c it doesnt have a scope and my eyes arent good enough for much further ;) ) Although I did get it brand new so it wasnt abused b4 me. I think it was one of those never fired only dropped once deals :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts