Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to stir up a heated argument but what is the feeling out there about Norinco's version of the M-14. I have had mine for about 6 years now, have shot 300 - 400 rounds through it and haven't noticed any problems. Is there any specific things I should start to look out for? Is there any serial numbers that are "better" than others? Thanks in advance.

No Longer Involved
The ChiCom M14's are notorious for soft bolts. Check headspace regularly (every outing). If it starts moving, you need to stop shooting.

From what I've heard, it can go from safe to dangerous in as little as 100 rounds. The next rifle can be safe for 1000 rounds. Very poor QC.

Once you determine to replace the bolt, the only real way to do it is to put on a USGI barrel mated to a USGI bolt. USGI Bolts will not mate to a ChiCom barrel.

For more info see:

The Fulton Armory FAQ on Chinese M14S rifles

Great receivers, the rest is a crap shoot. Have a respected armorer mate a USGI bolt and barrel and you have a great rifle.

Registered
Bought one years ago. Brought it home stripped her down and found it had a hole drilled through the reciever where the barrel threads in. You had to remove the oprod to see it. Took it back they replaced it with another with the same problem! Took it back and spent a little more on a springfield. Not to say the hole in the reciever would be a problem. Kept the springfield about a year. Traded here off for a Thumbhole Century FAL and a older MINI 14 and 20 PMI mags. Back then the PMI mags only sold for about 12.00ea. But I would not hesitate in getting another M1A. Maybe a chinese if the price is right. I still have a few GI mags for one.;) By the way the springfield was more accurate than the FAL.

G

The hole in the receiver is supposed to be threaded for an allen screw. the Chinese receivers are usually EXCELLENT, but the barrel shoulders vary in dimension and hardness. And of course the barrel "draw" varies. Replacing the SOFT Chinese barrels with a US GI barrel in a Chinese receiver usually gives you LOTS of draw, and you can throw away the lock screw.

I've personally seen two Chinese M-14S rifles so loose, you could unthread the barrels by hand. I've also heard of at least one other Chinese that lost the barrel. One guy who brought his Norinco in to me at a gunshow for a free checkup, was still shooting his - he just screwed the barrel back in every ten shots or so! Didn't seem to mind it at all, and when I offered to sell him a good tight Chinese barrel cheap to fix it, he procrastinated for about a year before buying the replacement barrel.

I've rebarreled quite a few Chinese receivers with US GI barrels, usually also replacing all or most of the rest of the parts with US GI. All of the Chinese/GI bastard M-14 rifles I've built turned out as EXCELLENT shooters. A few of them even ended up as target rifles. In fact, I like them so much, that after Y2K I decided to sell off all my Springfield M1A rifles, including a SS Super Match, a Blue NM, a Standard, and a Custom Hvy barreled target I'd built myself. The one M-14 I kept had a Chinese Polytech receiver, a new hand lapped TRW bolt, a 20" barrel, and all GI parts. Still have that rifle, and don't ever plan to part with it.

Registered
SET SCREW? holy cow! I've seen a few Poly Techs stipped and never seen a hole in them. Also there quaility seems a little better than norincos. But I'd own either one now as long as it checked out OK. What other mods are needed after the installation of GI barrel? Seems that a GI bolt has to be fitted also?Is there machine work in fitting the bolt? I've never had the chance to compare the 2 recievers side by side. Is there a differance in the lug recesses in the 2. Thanks

G

The receivers have excellent locking lug geometry, especially if hand lapped to a US GI bolt. Because the US GI barrels are chrome lined, you can't adjust headspacing with a reamer - you have to find a bolt that is close, and lap it in for final fit. Don't lap more than a few thou as the bolts AND THE RECEIVER MAY ONLY HAVE A FEW THOU EACH OF HARD SKIN.

Registered
thank's Lazerus. I don't see as many chinese M1A for sale as I used to. If the oppertunity to buy one cheap comes around I may pick one up. Seems GI parts are getting hard to come by also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts