Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a LGS today porusing the parts area and noticed 2 mini 14 factory stocks for sale. I asked the counter guy how much for the synthetic stock? He comes back with $80, which seemed a little high for a used stock. Right next to it was a mid 1980's ranch rifle stock (Straight cut in the back with a plastic butt cap) I asked how much for that one. He says $239. I said How come? He says Ruger does not make a mini 14 anymore that comes with a wood stock. That was news to me. Can anyone here verify that story? Any case, I have one just like it here at home. If anyone wants to pay me $239 for it please P.M me. It has all the metal parts included(blue mini). I will even ship it free, with insurance. Thanks for any responses. 40nascar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's pure nonsense. I bought a NIB wood stock Mini 14 less than a month ago. Also, the wood stock models are still listed on Ruger's site as well as Gallery of Guns, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Haven't heard of any plans to discontinue wood stocks. They seem to be pretty popular and they give Ruger abut of a markrt niche, so that would be surprising.

As far as value,you can pick up a used factory wood stock on eBay for $50-75. The only exception I've seen is the factory wood pistol grip stocks. They go close to $700. There are some high quality aftermarket wood stocks that go in the $200 range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a brand new wood stock Mini-14 Ranch from Walmart about 2 weeks ago. According to the box, it was manufactured middle of January, 2013. I suspect they are not discontinuing the wooden stock.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was at a LGS today porusing the parts area and noticed 2 mini 14 factory stocks for sale. I asked the counter guy how much for the synthetic stock? He comes back with $80, which seemed a little high for a used stock. Right next to it was a mid 1980's ranch rifle stock (Straight cut in the back with a plastic butt cap) I asked how much for that one. He says $239. I said How come? He says Ruger does not make a mini 14 anymore that comes with a wood stock. That was news to me. Can anyone here verify that story? Any case, I have one just like it here at home. If anyone wants to pay me $239 for it please P.M me. It has all the metal parts included(blue mini). I will even ship it free, with insurance. Thanks for any responses. 40nascar.
Sounds like a lame sales tactic, to gouge you for something you can buy $200 cheaper for on eBay. I'm actually hoping they'll bring more wood back to the line, and offer a wood/stainless combo again. If not, I'll have to go on the hunt for a used 580 stainless and wood w/ a tapered barrel. That's my new favorite.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's pure nonsense. I bought a NIB wood stock Mini 14 less than a month ago. Also, the wood stock models are still listed on Ruger's site as well as Gallery of Guns, etc.
Yea, I noticed that too, and thats why I think this is B.S. On the other hand, maybe the next catalog there will be no more wood stocks? I see that even standard curved buttplate stocks are selling for over $100 on E-bay. That gets me wondering, whats going on?

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a lame sales tactic, to gouge you for something you can buy $200 cheaper for on eBay. I'm actually hoping they'll bring more wood back to the line, and offer a wood/stainless combo again. If not, I'll have to go on the hunt for a used 580 stainless and wood w/ a tapered barrel. That's my new favorite.
Yes, my latest purchase was a stainless 580 with the davidsons exclusive laminated green stock. Sure is pretty, but not cheap!

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Just outta curiosity.. has anybody thought about the fact this may have been a misunderstanding? Nascar mentioned it was from an 80s rifle. Arent those stocks different than current stocks? Could the dude have meant they dont make this stock anymore?

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just outta curiosity.. has anybody thought about the fact this may have been a misunderstanding? Nascar mentioned it was from an 80s rifle. Arent those stocks different than current stocks? Could the dude have meant they dont make this stock anymore?
No mistake. The guy was pretty convinced that Ruger doesn't make anymore wood stocked mini's. I doubt He even knew the vintage of the stock I asked about. I used to be an ffl, so I knew the difference.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No mistake. The guy was pretty convinced that Ruger doesn't make anymore wood stocked mini's. I doubt He even knew the vintage of the stock I asked about. I used to be an ffl, so I knew the difference.
Can you go back to him, and ask why he thinks wood is gone?

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Meh.. it was worth a try

·
Registered
602 Posts
Why not just go to the source??
Ruger® Mini-14® Ranch Rifle Autoloading Rifle Models

239 bucks??? That guy is out of his mind. Maybe you should not deal with him.
Should be able to find a nice woodie on Ebay or GB for way under 100. Even aftermarket new wood mini stocks are under 100 if you can find them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So are factory synthetic stocks (on the Mini-14) more popular now than wood?

I'm looking for a take-off black synthetic for a 581 model and can't seem to locate one.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So are factory synthetic stocks (on the Mini-14) more popular now than wood?

I'm looking for a take-off black synthetic for a 581 model and can't seem to locate one.
There's that one I mentioned in post #1 for $80. It would probably be around $100 shipped to you. Its a hogue that came off the NRA limited edition a few yrs. ago (Has the ruger emblem on the bottom of the pistol grip). Its at Auburn Outdoor Sport in Auborn Ca. You can do a search and find them. Good luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
^ ^ ^ #s 18 &19 - I'm not partial to the Hogue overmold stocks. I prefer the all plastic factory version.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.