Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from my local Cabela's and no Mini-14 or 30s were for sale in the store. I also checked the Bass Pro Shop website with the same results. Lots of ARs but no Minis.
What gives?

·
Formerly "raf"
3,007 Posts
I just returned from my local Cabela's and no Mini-14 or 30s were for sale in the store. I also checked the Bass Pro Shop website with the same results. Lots of ARs but no Minis.
What gives?
Some vendors are not selling Minis, because they are "problematic", on account of the Mini being considered an "assualt weapon" firearm by some folks. This varies from State to State, and from vendor to vendor.

Sometimes, the supply to the vendor comes and goes. Ruger typically makes some firearms in "batches" while popular firearms, such as the Mini-14/30 production lines are making as many as they can produce.

Suggest you consult vendor Corporate firearms policies.

Not to worry; many new (and used) Minis out there. Just look around.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some vendors are not selling Minis, because they are "problematic", on account of the Mini being considered an "assualt weapon" firearm by some folks. This varies from State to State, and from vendor to vendor.
Hmmm. Minis problematic "assault weapons" but not ARs? I don't think that's it.
Something else is going on.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,007 Posts
Hmmm. Minis problematic "assault weapons" but not ARs? I don't think that's it.
Something else is going on.
Most likely it is a vendor/supply issue, since Ruger is making as many Minis as they can.

ETA: Some Minis, depending on their configuration (Flash Suppressor, Folding/Collapsible Stock, Pistol Grip, Threaded Muzzle, and so forth) may not be for sale in some States, since all or some of these features are considered "Assault Weapon" features in those States.

I suggest not getting overly concerned. Most States allow Minis to be sold, as long as the Minis meet State requirements.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What gives?
Personally, I think this is just supply and demand. I am finding very infrequent availability of Min-14 and 30 riles right now and I live in Indiana which is a free state so it is NOT politically based.

I think we are still suffering from great demand and limited supply. Ruger is hiring in a number of their locations so I suspect that....like seems to be the case generally...they may be finding it hard to attract and retain enough workers to meet their production goals.

I have further noticed that when a stock of Mini-14s or 30s do become available they sell out in a day or less. So...if you are in the market keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground and be ready to jump.

Much success in locating and purchasing your new Mini....from my perspective they are most certainly worth the investment!.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Personally, I think this is just supply and demand. I am finding very infrequent availability of Min-14 and 30 riles right now and I live in Indiana which is a free state so it is NOT politically based.

I think we are still suffering from great demand and limited supply. Ruger is hiring in a number of their locations so I suspect that....like seems to be the case generally...they may be finding it hard to attract and retain enough workers to meet their production goals.

I have further noticed that when a stock of Mini-14s or 30s do become available they sell out in a day or less. So...if you are in the market keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground and be ready to jump.

Much success in locating and purchasing your new Mini....from my perspective they are most certainly worth the investment!.
This
I would of loved to work in a firearms factory. But, Iowa is a wasteland for firearms manufacturers. My bet is a lot of folks are setting out going back to work for 2 reasons
1. They have extra money from the "stimulus" money that our grand kids and great grand kids get to pay back.
2. ON January 4th many folks will be out of a job if Joe Biden gets his way. That means on January 5th there will be thousands of new jobs available. All you have to do is pick out the one you want because employers will be hiring in a very big way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would of loved to work in a firearms factory. But, Iowa is a wasteland for firearms manufacturers. SNIP/Jumpluff
Me too KWG, but Indiana is much like Iowa it would seem...there are zero major firearms manufacturers. It has always struck me as ironic that the major players are for the most part based in states that severely restrict their products. I guess it goes back to earlier times when common sense still prevailed and it is just too expensive to pull up stakes and relocate to states like Indiana (and perhaps Iowa, don't know much about your gun laws) that truly embrace the shooting sports. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, but I already have a Mini-14.
Just commenting on the lack of minis in local stores. I recently moved to a "red" state and never noticed a lack of minis in my former "blue" state.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Me too KWG, but Indiana is much like Iowa it would seem...there are zero major firearms manufacturers. It has always struck me as ironic that the major players are for the most part based in states that severely restrict their products. I guess it goes back to earlier times when common sense still prevailed and it is just too expensive to pull up stakes and relocate to states like Indiana (and perhaps Iowa, don't know much about your gun laws) that truly embrace the shooting sports. :rolleyes:
Shooting sports in Iowa is almost traditional and our gun laws are getting less restrictive. But, we have a personal income tax and a 6% corporate tax and we were governed by democrats for many years. We tend to have a surplus in our State budget right now but it is getting used on social programs instead of cutting the corporate tax. We are also losing our rural population and the cities are getting bigger. In some counties you cannot get elected if you are a republican. We still have some issue that keep the gun factories out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funny story. I live in a heavy blue state. I ended up finding a used minI 14 6.8spc in a red state Cabelas online. While trying to purchase it, they proceeded to tell me that I couldn’t buy it since it was banned in my commie state. After 2 days of going back and forth with them, I called a Cabelas in my state to ask them. He actually had said that he had one for sale behind the counter, but in a different caliber. So he offered to make some calls to the other store for me to basically tell them that they didn’t know what they were talking about. Lol. I finally ended up getting the one that I wanted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought mine at Cabelas a few years ago. Not sure what their inventory is like today, but Cabelas is the only place in my area that ALWAYS had at least one or two Minis for sale.
Most likely they’re just in demand. I think Mini Ranch Rifles are still legally available in California, so if anyone isn’t stocking a Mini cause it’s ‘tactical’, they shouldn’t be in the firearms business.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,007 Posts
I wonder how many are going to foreign militarys and Police departments ?

kwg
While the French Police, and many other Nations/Islands, did buy various versions of the Mini-14, I'm not aware of any nations who are currently using the Mini in anything but Reserve status, if that.

US Police Depts have many surplus M-16 variants to choose from due to lavish USGI/Gov't aid programs. One might be concerned about "militarization" of Civil police, but Civil Police meet threats not formerly seen. I personally witnessed local small Town obtaining full-auto M-14 rifles straight from the Govt. What they will do with such firearms, absent Specific training for such, remains to be seen. Probably the M-14s will stay in Police armories forever.

I suspect that lots of Police armories have ancient weapons stored in them. Thompsons, Colt BAR variants, and who know what was was "donated" to the Police.

Maybe no ammo for such, maybe no important accessories for such, like magazines/ammo clips, and very likely zero training for using such firearms.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What gives?
EXILE Armory in Weaver, Alabama has Mini 14s & Mini 30s. This morning’s advertised price on the Mini 30 was $1005.00.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EXILE Armory in Weaver, Alabama has Mini 14s & Mini 30s. This morning’s advertised price on the Mini 30 was $1005.00.
Thanks. I don't doubt minis are available (online or in-store). I believe their absence in my new solid red state is due to the unlimited legality of the AR platform as opposed to my former blue state where only minis were legal w/o mods to mag release, stock etc. I just don't think they're very popular here...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny story. I live in a heavy blue state. I ended up finding a used minI 14 6.8spc in a red state Cabelas online. While trying to purchase it, they proceeded to tell me that I couldn’t buy it since it was banned in my commie state. After 2 days of going back and forth with them, I called a Cabelas in my state to ask them. He actually had said that he had one for sale behind the counter, but in a different caliber. So he offered to make some calls to the other store for me to basically tell them that they didn’t know what they were talking about. Lol. I finally ended up getting the one that I wanted.
Hmmm, I'm taking a guess that you may be from the same State as I.
If so I ran into issues shopping online but I believe I was trying to order high capacity magazines and the site said the same about not being to sell to the State which I resided.
Where I could tell the issue was in their "Disclaimer of States that prohibit the sale of said merchandise. They name all the States and at the end you read "or Hawaii"
The word or happens to be my States initial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmm, I'm taking a guess that you may be from the same State as I.
If so I ran into issues shopping online but I believe I was trying to order high capacity magazines and the site said the same about not being to sell to the State which I resided.
Where I could tell the issue was in their "Disclaimer of States that prohibit the sale of said merchandise. They name all the States and at the end you read "or Hawaii"
The word or happens to be my States initial.
I’m in NY. As long as it doesn’t have a folding stock, 100% legal here. High capacity mags are also illegal, but in itself they do not make the gun illegal. That was the argument that Cabelas had, that they had the capability of accepting a high capacity mag. All I got was crickets when I asked him about AR’s being legal in NY even though I can put a 30 round mag in mine. I’m just happy that I was able to get my hands on a 6.8 finally.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts