Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought two 30 round Gen II Tapco Magazines and they don't fit or function in my Stainless Ranch 5817 581 series gun. They were tight going in empty and when they are loaded they are really tight and the rounds won't rise to load the next round.

When I would PULL the mag out ( I say PULL because they would not drop free full or empty ) The pressure from the sides would relax and the bullets would rise as the top one was removed . I called Tapco and they acknowledged that the new Mini's were tighter and that they would exchange the mags for me.

I ended up getting a pre-paid shipping label from them to send the mags back and they are going to send me a couple of 20 round SKS magazines as a replacement. How come it is so hard for someone to manufacture a working aftermarket magazine for the Mini 14? I have used aftermarket mags in AR's, SKS's AK's and have mostly had good luck.

I hope Tapco figures this out and makes a 10 and a 20 round magazine that is sized for their capacity. I would have returned the magazines to Midway but they wanted me to pay the return postage. Oh Well.... I can always use a couple more SKS mags. The two I already have function flawlessly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If Stainless is all weather , then yes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took sandpaper and removed a little material off the back of the mag near the catch. Works fine now. I just use the aftermarket mags for pactice and range time. They work great when you dont' want to dump your factory mags in the mud and dirt. They also work great for malfunction drills. I wouldn't trust them anywhere but the range....

·
Registered
139 Posts
You know, the only FTF I've had was with the factory 20rd mag that came with. Granted this was with poly (grey) coated wolf steel case, and the surface of those feel like fine grit sand paper, but I haven't had a problem with Tapco, Thermomold or even cheap National magazines. Your best bet is to buy one mag at a time and test it, before buying a crap load of them. I like to be able to purchase 3 or 4 mags for the same price as a factory mag. The factory mags are simply over priced, there is no reason why they should cost $40 a 30rd, that's BS and fleecing.

·
Ghostrider
127 Posts
I have 8 of the Gen 2s and they have been flawless in my 581 Tactical. They fit tighter than the factory mags, weigh less, don't rust, and they are way cheaper. Were you using brass or steel cased ammo in the Tapco mags? Apparently they don't do so hot with steel cased ammo. Brass has worked perfectly for mine, though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I just received my replacement magazines today and they are the same. Far to tight, so I'm gonna have to mess with them and make em fit right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
bought 6 tried 3 all were too tight in my 581 ranch. 2 shots then 3rd would hang too low to feed. Working on one mag to see if I can make it work. They are on the do not trust list. I will stick to the 20 round Ruger mags from now on.

·
Arizona Gunner
90 Posts
I have 4 of them for my 581 and no problems so far. I also like the cost of them.
I have shot about 300 rounds without a hitch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like its not so much the mag but the 581 series varies a bit from gun to gun, soooo, not tapcos fault but rugers? I have an old 197 series that they work great in. I agree that factory mags are best but I own zero because of the cost.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it is the fault of the rifle, why don't we hear about Stock Ruger magazines not working in the 581 series guns? If the after market magazines were built to the same external dimensions of the Ruger magazines and didn't swell when loaded with cartridges they should fit as well as the factory magazine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have both 3 Tapco and 3 Thermold mags, and all work fine in my 581 ranch rifle. Several others report that they work in their rifles. That sort of leads me to believe it must be the rifle and not the magazines, because you'd hear of some polymer magazines working and others not. And the part of the rifle that would logically have the most variation would be the stock. As to why factory mags work and Tapcos don't, perhaps the Tapcos have larger outside dimensions, perhaps because they have thicker "walls", or the metal mags are stiffer, while the polymers are more flexible?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is one guy's solution to his Tapco Gen II failure to feed:

He thinks the problem is that the tip of the cartridge catches on the inside front of the magazine; he filed the inside smooth so as the cartridge rises there is nothing for the tip of the bullet to catch on.

Don't know if this is the same problem produced by a tight fit in some rifles. I bought a few to try and there appears to be no place for the bullet tips to catch on the ones I received. They do fit tighter than the 20 round Ruger magazine. I have hand cycles a full magazine through my 581 series ranch rifle with no problem, but have not been to the range yet to try them out for real.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I spoke with tapco and I was told that all the newer series mini's are made to tighter specifications and their mags won't function properly in them. So they ordered a new mini-14 and once they receive it they will be working on making their mags fit and replacing the mags for those of us who are having issues. But it could be a while.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
You can take some material off the bottom of the locking lug. If you measure the Tapco and the Ruger you may see a longer lug on the Tapco.

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
This is why I buy all factory. I spent well 0ver $500 on magazines but I have no headaches.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts