Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did you read the reviews?

No word about sensitivity or spectral band in the mfg spec.

Noise will be an important factor in image fidelity and one reviewer keyed in on it comparing noise performance it to other NVGs he used in the military. Not a fair comparison since those devices are analog with 50 years of development behind them and built in gain.

In a High Def focal plan array (fpa, 1920 x1080 sensing elements) @ 160 line pairs (lp)/mm equates to 1/2" wide sensor. That correlates to 25 micron feature size in the fpa. Coarse by today's standards but inexpensive. Battery life will be a concern with such a large array.

At 30 hz refresh you will get smearing with scope movement. It's made to stare.

Lower is better than higher magnification because you will lose image fidelity and sensitivity in a hurry when zooming in on something.

Interesting toy but I would not buy one.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've heard they dont perform well enough for the cost, then I found this video on it. Looks like it will be more trouble than what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm not sure of the use. Here like most states, it's not legal to hunt at night and for safety's sake one can't see their background so I wonder what's the point of them.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
It would seem the muzzle flash would cause it to reset, then being worthless for a bit. May be wrong... Agree with the other posters.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will contact ATN to ask questions about these concerns. I've been invited to go on a hog hunt in TX, 24/7 hunting for hogs or coyotes.

Reactions: James T. Kirk

·
Registered
957 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do you have access to an IR illuminator on your hunt? That would be a great enhancement device for the scope?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at getting an IR illuminator extra range to go with it and a green laser light.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Went to their website. It is friggin' huge! Not something I would want on a "light" carbine, IMHO. To each their own: some would like it, but not me, except maybe on a bolt gun with a bi-pod.

I have heard rifle shots in the night at times, and suspect someone nearby has something like this. Not keen about it as operational awareness is limited and I really wouldn't like a round or two going into my house, me, or our horses. I guess in a toe-toe battle, it would be handy, but I'm not there yet. By a long shot.

Nonetheless, I'll tuck this away should things get exciting, but 20-80 rounds rapid fire from a Mini-14 at the muzzle flash may discourage most - particularly poachers (who are cowards and thieves and trespassers and low-life).

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The video recording is a great feature, the night vision is an added attraction, Bluetooth to the phone and ready to share with friends. Don't care for poachers either, seen a few that I could not get a tag before they got away. We did have one busted here at work, he was an outside contractor.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have one on my Adam Arms AR 223 not a DI weapon.
Addon's
64 GB Micro SD Card
16000 MAH Battery Pak 24 hour run time w/GPS and WiFi enabled.

3x14+ digital zoom doubler (gets grainy over 20 power).

Main PRO's

Very good sight picture.
Very good video and pictures.
Easy to sight in, holds zero.
Many modes and settings to choose from.
Day and Night Modes comes with sun shade.
Tilt indicator X and Y axis.
IR adjustable illuminater included.
Software upgradeable.
Easy Zoom function.
Rangefinder mode.
Image stabilization.
Multiple brightness settings.
Uses AA size batteries (4 hrs w/ Duracell Quantum 6+ hrs w/ Lithium). Longer times w/GPS and WiFi disabled.
Multiple weapon and caliber setup and storage of parameters.
Plus others.

Con's

Size and weight (I use a bi-pod or shooting stick for long shots).
Older software only supported 3.5 max sight height.
Certain menu functions take time to get use to.
IR needs upgrade over 175 yards.
Needs quick change mount.
Parallax adjustment knob is hard to turn (will not drift once set).

Comment:

Weight of scope can be a problem at the range, in the field not so much when shooting carrying on long walks is a different story.
Given the Pro's and Con's I am happy to have a day and night scope for the price.
I have not had it on my 183 mini yet but I have plans to use it on the mini also.
Yes I live in a state that allows night hunting for small game and predators.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: tri70

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The NVD are getting better all the time. I have around 340 hours as a UH1H crew chief under goggles. I'd like one for myself but I just can't seem to justify it. Maybe some day I can.

Ambient light will probably have a huge effect on the device as to whether you need an IR illuminator as well. We loved to fly under a full moon. We referred to it as 100% illumination. Of course a new moon or with clouds over head reduced the illumination making it more of a challenge to fly and navigate safely. I'm sure the same would apply to a gun mounted NVD.
kwg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a ATN Night arrow about three years ago, the first two times I used it it worked OK the third time it quite working, I sent several emails over a period of a year to ATN asking what I should do, they ignored me totally , so I wrote to cheaper then dirt where I bought the scope, they told me that they have had several complaints on ATN scopes and there is nothing they could do, so here I sit with a night scope that cost me $1400.00 that is worthless, it was in warranty when the trouble started. what a piece of JUNK

·
Registered
119 Posts
My son-in-law has this scope, and I have a ATN MK 258.
Neither one works any longer, with no cure in sight.
If you want night vision, either buy high end, or don't waste your money.
You will be better served by a high end rifle scope, Kahles, Swarovski Ziess, or Steiner
comes to mind. These will gather enough light if these is a good amount of moon light.
STW

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Sadly, it appears to be if you want dependability, good optics and light gathering capabilities (third or newer generation) you need to spend a lot of money and get something other than Russian/Chinese made.
kwg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone run night vision scopes on the mini rifles? I'm looking at getting one of these ATN X Sight scopes.

ATN X-Sight II 3-14x Day and Night Rifle Scope - 666126, Night Vision Scopes at Sportsman's Guide
At that price it will be a Gen 1. You will be very disappointed in the performance. I got a Gen 2+ for $1800 and it was poor. Anything worthwhile is very, very expensive. Sorry.

Before you buy, try it. That is the only way you will know if it is worthwhile for you.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hey Tri this is something I've been interested in for some time. My budget is limited and my fixed income keeps it that way. That said I read a review on a monocular that got my attention. Here's a link, https://survivalblog.com/page/8/, the brand name is Firefield. They also make a sight that is the same type. I have one coming this week I found at Cabela's for $99 on sale, Firefield Nightvision Monocular : Cabela's
If it's as good as the review says I'll be after one of the sights too. Just a thought ....

Reactions: tri70 and tcsafety
1 - 20 of 28 Posts