Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprisingly........all alone at an often busy place. Peaceful. No stress solitude and beautiful weather.

I suspect the ammo shortage is keeping things quiet. Thanking my lucky stars that I stocked up when prices were low.

Two Ruger MKIV 22/45s with Vortex Venom red dots.

Sighting in went smoothly. Adjustments all easy and solid.

For (almost 75 year) old eyes, the red dot is the way to go (green if you like that color better).

I managed to keep almost everything in "minute of woodchuck vitals" at 25 yards.

I'm not as steady as I used to be, but with the sweet new Volquartsen triggers my gunsmith installed.......I can still lay them in there pretty effectively.

I ended by hammering the gongs for a while for fun........not much of a challenge, but immediate feedback.

One of my Ruger mags refused to seat. Something was hitting just before it could click in. Same thing with both guns. All six of my other mags worked fine.

So I called Ruger and a nice lady said she would send me a new magazine and a prepaid envelope to send the old one back.

How easy is that???? Gotta love Ruger.

So.......nice day. REALLY nice day.

I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow.

Reactions: CleanDean

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So.......another nice day today. A couple cars parked at the clubhouse but I was the only one shooting.

I'm so fortunate to have a quiet place like this to go and shoot.

It gets pretty wild on the nights the trap and skeet shooters come in, but most mornings are very quiet.

So today, again in solitude, I banged some gongs and shot up the Winchester groundhogs again. These targets are copies I've made of an old collectible Winchester target that I got at an estate sale many years ago.

This was at about 15-20 yards. Fairly good results for an old guy shooting offhand and standing on his hind legs. :)

Those red dot sights are really nice. Guns functioned perfectly again with some Winchester and Norma ammo.

Here's my deserted range:

All in all........another great range visit.

Love the Ruger MKIVs.........so easy to take down for cleaning.

Attachments

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This could have been better.

I had to tweak the sights. First shots were just a bit to the right and low.

I gradually got things centered. I sat meself down with a rest.

Using CCI hollowpoints. No malfunctions or misfires. Actually shot a total of 90 rounds into this target. Checked rail screws and found I could tighten one just a tiny bit........other one was perfect.

Just shot the black gun today. Back testing the Davidson's Monday.

Anybody else having good days at the range??? Again I was all alone except for two guys over on the shotgun area shooting clays.

(Oh, and one old guy who just comes out to pick up whatever brass he can find.)

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today's fun with the black pistol's partner.......the Davidson's walnut grip gun.

Again I made some slight adjustments as I went along........moved the POI a little to the right. Rounds were tending to go a little left at first.

This was 80 rounds of CCI 40 grain solids.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it was about time I tried my offhand skills a little more..........so today was the day.

Got to the range at 9:30 and again.......I was the only one there. Sweet solitude with no other noise but me.

Still testing the walnut grip MKIV 22/45 Target Model.

I paced off 15 yards and shot 50 rounds of CCI offhand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts