Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, now that I have the mini 14 in working mechanical order, I am researching an appropriate scope. As I understand it, the newer minis have a slightly different set up with regard to mounting scopes compared to my 180xxxxx.

Is there a recommended scope for an early mini. I know the red dot scopes are nice toys, however, if I am in a 'combat' (or rather 'situation' where my life depended on it), what happens when the battery goes dead?!?! What are you all's general thoughts on this?

Does anyone have a night vision or partial light scope? Any recommendations?

I have also read that minis are notorious for shaking apart certain scope mounts. Do you all have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
blah, sorry I don't have a 180 to compare with my 196, but many of us have installed smaller gas bushings to greatly reduce recoil, so the scope stays on. I'm not shure if Mikes gas bushings will fit the 180's or not, but if they do I highly recommend them to any one mounting a scope. Avail NW Shooters Support e-mail [email protected] 3 sizes to adjust the recoil to match your mini's load. $25. I've tamed the recoil on my mini to just a bit more than my 10/22. A couple weekends ago I cranked off 15 rds at 100 yds. in 7 seconds, I put 13 in a 8 1/2" group, with 7 rds being in the 6" bull. Never lost sight of the target. Couldn't have done it before installing a way smaller gas bushing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts