361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Reactions: RJF and savage99nc

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Looks like a Model 94 Winchester, several Remington 1100/-11-87's, and a nice Maple stocked Browning SA.22 (I want that !)

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It is worth noting that probably thousands (if not tens of thousands) of LEOs back through the years until today have used the Mini-14 (or 30) as a patrol carbine. I got my first, (a 180 Series 19776 bicentennial Model) in about 1982. From then on, until I retired in 2000, I carried either a Mini or M1 Carbine as a Patrol Carbine.

Even on my small 50 Deputy (not counting Jail and Corrections) Department in the 1990s, half a dozen or more other deputies also had Mini-14s. We had to qualify by shooting from a rest at 100 yards, and getting 7 or 8 of 10 shots in the head of a B27 Silhouette target. Not just in the black, but there was the area inside a dotted line that was about an inch in form the edge of the black. We all had "pencil barreled" Minis, an no one had a problem qualifying.

Remember, until well into the new Millennium, Colt was basically the only game in town, and was significantly more expensive at that. During that time, I also had an original Colt SP1 CAR-15, but was reluctant to carry it as a patrol carbine because it was worth too much money! Besides, I liked shooting the Mini and M1 Carbine more.

It was not until the massive proliferation of AR15s 6 or 8 years ago, caused by a glut of receiver makers and parts makers that the "erector set rifle " (AR-15) price dropped below that of the Mini and availability exceeded that of the Mini. Basic supply and demand economics had the AR15 price bottom out. You can build yourself a serviceable AR15 for around $400 dollars.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hope my library gets it. Looks like a good film. Liam Neeson will act in anything.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,620 Posts
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6902332/

Not military but Hollywood. Not sure about marksman and mini. Realistic as truck gun though
The trailer threw me at first. Had to watch it a couple more times to see Neeson's character is using both an older Mini-14 and a Springfield Armory M1A. The M1A appears first. The Mini-14 appears later in the trailer. They both have a similar scope configuration so it can be hard to catch at the speed of an action-thriller trailer.

Liam Neeson is so personally and vocally anti-gun and anti-2nd Amendment, I'm not sure I can sit through another of his gun heavy movies. I'm not really into the boycott mindset, but knowing his views on gun rights makes him somewhat of a miscast in this one, and may sour it a little too much to enjoy the flick.

Pretty good concept for a movie though...

Reactions: jws360

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah I will not be seeing because of some of his comments.

Just saw it on the trailer.....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Utterly ironic and hypocritical that Neeson makes many incredibly violent movies all the while extremely anti-gun. He should stick to movies about knitting or board games. Typical better than the rest of us Hollywood SOB.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The trailer threw me at first. Had to watch it a couple more times to see Neeson's character is using both an older Mini-14 and a Springfield Armory M1A. The M1A appears first. The Mini-14 appears later in the trailer. They both have a similar scope configuration so it can be hard to catch at the speed of an action-thriller trailer.
The M1A was his truck gun in his ranch. He bought the Mini-14 from a random gun shop while he was on the run with the illegal immigrant boy.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,708 Posts
Did anybody else notice that in most of the pictures of him shooting he is shooting right handed but using his left eye to aim?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Did anybody else notice that in most of the pictures of him shooting he is shooting right handed but using his left eye to aim?
There are a number of us out here who do that. We learned to shoot with no instruction simply by practicing with a .22 rifle and a bricks of cartridges while subconsciously adjusting so we could hit our target. Now we just do it naturally. This was way back when before we had even heard of the concept of "dominant eye". It never dawned on us that we were "doing it wrong". Given we were achieving the mission, we did not put ourselves through the pain of relearning how to shoot "properly". Yes...if we wanted to be "the best of the best of the best" we would need to mend our ways. But...since we can consistently hit what we are shooting at with "bad technique" we just continue on in our "folly"....happily plinking away. :p

Reactions: Logos

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,708 Posts
There are a number of us out here who do that. We learned to shoot with no instruction simply by practicing with a .22 rifle and a bricks of cartridges while subconsciously adjusting so we could hit our target. Now we just do it naturally. This was way back when before we had even heard of the concept of "dominant eye". It never dawned on us that we were "doing it wrong". Given we were achieving the mission, we did not put ourselves through the pain of relearning how to shoot "properly". Yes...if we wanted to be "the best of the best of the best" we would need to mend our ways. But...since we can consistently hit what we are shooting at with "bad technique" we just continue on in our "folly"....happily plinking away. :p
Considering that it's Liam Neeson......I guess we should be happy he's even able to fake "doing it wrong."

I didn't realize this was a common thing.......just noticed that his aim looked odd.

Reactions: jumpluff

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Well, I'm left-handed but right-eye dominant. In all of my 22+ years in the Army, they never picked up on that - it took a former Marine to figure that out - in about two minutes...Long after I retired...Can't say I've come up with a way to deal with that with rifles, but I've figured it out with pistols.

361 - 380 of 402 Posts