Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,I'm the new guy on the block.Went to the local gunshop to get a box of 20 ga.shells and walked out with a 181 series blue mini-14. A 95% rifle with a 5 rd. mag.The top of the stock up forward of the operating handle has a rub mark which will soon disappear.Shot 40 rds.No malfunctions.Throws emptys about 6ft.to 1 o'clock position.This is great as I'm a lefty.$299.00,I'm happy!! First mini. Question ? Elevation, turning clockwise= Right or left?? Windage,turning clockwise= Right or left Thanks for a great site.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
sssssss Welcome rattler, sounds like you got a deal on your mini. My 196 series ranch has the little tin sight that you have to use a screw driver to adjust. I mounted a scope on mine, so all I can tell you is if you want to move your Point of Impact up (POI), move sight up. If you want to move POI left move sight left. Some one with your sight set up will tell you Clockwise or counter. I never understood left or right when turning a knob, as it starts out left, but ends up right going the same direction:confused: Again welcome.:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rattler
I am going to assume your 181xxx is a standard ,mine throws brass the same way (bumper ejector RANCH - spring ejector STANDARD) To your question re:sight adjustment

WINDAGE- to move bullet impact to the RIGHT,move rearsight base to theright by turning adj. knob COUNTERCLOCKWISE. To move bullet impact to the LEFT , move rear sight base to the left by turning the side adj. knob CLOCKWISE

ELEVATION - To move bullet impact UP turn adj knob COUNTERCLOCKWISE.To LOWER bullet impact turn CLOCKWISE

Welcome and good shooting.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey rattler, I've been trying to find the specs on different series mini's / rifling twist rate. The best way is to put a cleaning patch on your cleaning rod, then mark your rod, and measure when it has turned 1 complete turn. It will either be 7", 9" or 10". I'm guessing 10"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
well, picked up my 196-series Mini about a week ago and have been cruising around the web for a support group. Looks like you guys are it! I also got a Gilmore/Leupold red dot sight for it but no one in my area seems to stock a mount for Mini.

Any of you have favorites, or URLs you could link me to? I'm not beyond disassembling the rifle to put a mount in.

slipjoint

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome, to the site!
Mini's are fun little guns, the only problem I have is going through WAY too much ammo everytime I take it out.
As for the mount you're talking about not sure myself, someone here will know, for sure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is my favorite for the mini 14 as you can still use the peep sights. Once I had mine adjusted where I wanted I put loctite on all adjustable parts. One reason is because I have to remove the scope to fit a case for transport. When I have the pistol grip folding stock on my mini it sits too tall for my locking cases. I have not had to readjust it since, thats been two years. Some people hate these mounts. Ask around before you spend 65 bucks.

http://www.reliablehost.com/bsquare/popula...larhunting.html

Ruger MINI-14 MODEL 181 & Later Scope Mount (Blued) $64.95
With 1" Interlocking Rings. See-under type allows use of gun's sights. Standard dovetail base. Attaches by a single knob to the threaded cover plate. TO INSTALL: REPLACE THE BOLT STOP COVER PLATE WITH A SINGLE KNOB TO THE THREADED COVER PLATE. Blue Finish.

:usa: :usa:

·
Registered
198 Posts
welcome slipjoint

s&k and millet make scout mounts for the standard mini (they are not see thru like the b-square).
www.scopemounts.com and www.milletsights.com
aimtech makes a see thru scout mount www.aimtech.com
the best price on this mount is natchezss @ $63.00.
you should also a search on this forum re: scope mounts and scout mounts, these threads will provide you with some helpfull information. if you have a ranch, www.jackweigand.com makes a ruger to weaver mount or you could simply buy ruger rings for your new scope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks guys!

I did go ahead and purchase a Bsquared mount for my mini. The thing is, I have a non-ranch model so some disassembly is required to put the threaded plate in. No big deal; I'll do it sometime one of these evenings.

so Ivanimal ... where do you go plinking here in the Bay Area? I need to tune my setup!

:) slipjoint

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dude! I go all over to ranges, but my sis has a range set up un her back yard......Vacaville. send me a phone number via private messaging. :usa: We can go anytime she's a shooter too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Ivanimal - just put my sight on. Now I'm ready! I'll be moving this weekend, so I won't be able to make it ... maybe next weekend? I'll take this off line.

Good to be here!

(hmm, the messageboard won't accept my JPEG ... oh well)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts