Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm so glad I found this group! I hope to gain some knowledge of the sport from you all. I am a female Army Veteran and miss going to the range! I hope to find a range where I live soon!

*** Quick Question***

I read a lot of posts about which sight is better; iron sight vs red dot sight.
Wouldn't it be awesome to find a product that has both? Currently, I know there isn't a product out there but if there were, would you all be willing to purchase this?

Personally, I've only used an iron sight in my lifetime. However, I play a lot of video games (Modern Warfare) and I LOVE the red dot sight! So, I can imagine it would be beneficial to have both options, if available.

I look forward to your insight.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Welcome

Welcome aboard. Alot of good people here.

As to your question of iron vs.red dot :

I too was brought up using iron sights but found in low light conditions red dot is very good.And as some of us get older red dots are easier to pick up
compared to iron.
Also you can mount a red dot and co-witness it with your iron sights, so that
you can still use your iron sights looking thru the optics of your red dot.
Hope that helps.

·
Draw, Varmint!
778 Posts
Here ya go: Absolute or lower 1/3 Co-witness » The Professional Gunfighter

The main reason, 'Why' I've never fallen in love with a setup like this is because red dot sights tend to crap out in dim to no light, or in fog and high humidity, as well as when you move from inside to out.

I've had much better success with a good light gathering scope (like a Leupold Vari-XII). So, it's either a quality scope, or the naked eyes for me.

ADDED: Oh, yeah! On my smaller caliber rifles (NOT the really, 'long-range hitters' I used to own when I was younger) I also use, 'See-Thru' scope mounts that allow me to select which sight I want to use.

·
Son of the South
546 Posts
Hi bball and welcome from FL.

You will get all the advice you need here and then some.LOL
Myself I use a scope on 1" see thru rings so I still use my iron sites.Never used red dot and with ageing eyes,I need little help now an then.It's all about personal preference and what one is use to using that works for them.Happy Hunting..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome bball,

Great question. I have never been in the military but have owned many military rifles and my answer would be always have rock solid and reliable iron sights and practice with them. Being able to put 10 rounds in the X Ring at 200 meters with an iron sighted M4, M14 or 1903 Springfield is a skill that not everyone has.

I only have one red dot sight and that is for my Kel-Tec KSG shotgun and that is because if I need a close combat(25 yards and less) firearm to be used in low light, that would be the arm I would use. It also has iron sights that co-witness through the gunsight glass and are both laser sighted for 15 yards. I can use either or both as the irons fold down, front and back.

Optics and red dot sights are great and I am sure they have their place, but when all else fails your iron sights are your last line of defense. And as long as you don't pound on them with a hammer, you can be assured that your rounds will land where you aim them.
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts