Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on this board for several months - and largely based on the info I picked up here, I bought my stainless Mini-14 ranch rifle three months ago. So far, I've outfitted it with the John Masen muzzle brake, and a Simmons White Tail Classic 2.5x8/36 scope. And thanks to Cajungeo, I've ordered all the good stuff (including the trigger job) from Mike Knifong.

In addition to being a Newbie to this forum, I'm also new to rifle shooting. So far, I've only shot at an indoor range limited to 25 yards. Five and six shot groups seem to average about 1" to 1-1/2" with an occasional flier caused by the shooter. There's a significant hazard associated with indoor Mini-14 shooting: the ejected rounds slam into the range position dividers and careen around looking for somebody to hit. Last week, I ended up with a circular cut (.223" in diameter) just outboard of my right eye. I finally put my soft rifle case up against the divider to take the case impact. Hopefully, the smaller gas block bushing will take care of this problem. I'm also going to make a case-catcher to cantilever out from the scope mount.

Sorry for the long first post...

Vista

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Welcome aboard Vista,

Thats the only navy talk you will get out of this old soldier.

I'm glad you like your mini-14 but nothing beats shooting in the great outdoors. I was out shooting yesterday at The Fort Dix rod and gun club range with my new Mini-14. It was great fun and I love the rifle.

But being out in the sun and open air is the best way to shoot.
They have a 200 meter range so you can open up a bit But being outside makes it a much better and relaxing experiance. and the brass has room to bounce.

You must still watch out though, my buddy was shooting my mini-30 to my left and I was hit by his brass a few times or should I say steel we were using wolf ammo.

TC

:cannon:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hi Vista, if you had a way of ejecting the bullet safely you could turn your mini sideways, and target practice with the cases. Sorry about your eye. The factory gas bushing is about this big "o" the largest of mikes gas bushings is "." My brass used to fly up to 60 ft. or stick into the wood partion like a dart. Now it plops about 10 ft away. Welcome to the forum. We like to hear how your mods turn out. Keep us posted.

No need to thank me for any thing Vista, almost every thing I know about the Mini-14, I've learned from this forum. I have read every post from day one. I am very impressed with all the shooters in this forum, and all the knowledge they have pooled concerning the mini, for any interested party to use. So I thank all the members of this forum, for all their contributions.

P.S. I used to live in the Calif. high desert. Palmdale. ever hear of it?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome Vista,

I'm the moderator on the Mini-14 forum and we welcome all new posters (especially since they get us closer to winning that .35 Whelen). Feel free to input/comment. Let us know what you do to your Mini. We're always looking for ways to decrease our groups!

Keep in mind, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Especially when it comes to firearms, safety is primary. If you are thinking of doing something to your gun that anyone here thinks could be dangerous, you better believe it, we'll let you know. :eek:

I think we all like our Mini's because accurizing it is a personal project of just about everyone here. They are great fun. Of course I have mine down to 0.223" MOA now, so I'm set (I wish).

Spent brass - ah yes, the 60-foot flung brass case! I fixed that with a brass catcher - can buy it for $25 I think? I haven't used any gas bushings yet since I hesitate to do anything to my gas block. But its nice to be able to take off the brass catcher quick and throw some brass at my buddie's car. He hates when I do that. :D

Above all else, have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts