Perfect Union banner

newb wants a tighter group!

6K views 44 replies 9 participants last post by  Swordslinger 
I'm not sure if the bedding needs to be redone. Cajungeo, or one of the other guys might shed some light on this. However, you did not mention a muzzle brake. If you dont have one, it should help your group size. Have you tried different weight bulets???? My mini likes the 52gr Sierra Match bullets best. Cajungeo's seems to like the 62's. Both rifles have a 1 in 9 twist. Anyway, get the brake, and keep looking at different bullet/powder combinations. Oh, one note, the mini seems to be very sensitive to how you hold it. I have noticed from one day to the next, if I vary on pressure on the stock, so does my group size. I am generally shooting between 1.5 and 1.75 groups at 100 yds. My best group is close to 1" at 100.

Mtnwatcher,

I am using Sierra 52gr HPBT match grade bullets. I am currently using 25.5gr of Winchester 748. The primer is also Winchester. (WSR). The brass is Lake City, trimmed to 1.750".
The bullet is seated to 2.250". Now I am going to start trying different powder charges of 748 and also IMR 4895.
It took me a while to settle on the 52gr Sierra. I have leftover bullets in most every weight for this .223. I have loaded bullets from 40 gr all the way to 75gr. I used the starting load for all of these bullets and took them to the range. My rifle just shoots those 52's the best. Now, on to finding the best powder charge.
(By the way, the 25.5 gr powder charge can be found in the Winchester loading manual. Most manuals do not show a charge below 26.1gr. Just letting you know it is a published load, and not something I made up.)
Good luck on finding that bulet/powder combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.