Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, Yall. This is my first post and I am so glad I found this site. I've owned my SS Mini 14 Ranch since 1996, and love the look and feel of it, but the dismal accuracy keeps it at home when I go to the range. But thanks to this forum, looks like there is a way to get some accuracy from this neat little gun without spending as much again as it cost to buy it.

I've ordered the MB that everyone swears by, and will soon get some trigger work done by Mike K., and also get his stock bedding video to learn how to take care of that task.

I've enjoyed reading all the comments and tips on how to make this gun live up to my expectations. Glad to be a member here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:D Hi Texas Patriot, welcome. Do I recognize you from the Fal files? You will like this site very much. Good people hang out around these parts. If you ain't careful you might end up in one of Black Prince's stories. B) Tell us about your mini and post a picture. **** Dawg

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey **** Dawg,
Yep its me. I have frequented the FAL files and Battlerifles sites as well. I've had my Mini 14 longer than either my FAL or my M1A, but shot it less because I just can't enjoy shooting when there's little chance of hitting what I'm shooting at because of rifle inaccuracy.

Since I've found this site, I'm gonna get that little ranch ss model shooting like I want it to and I'll post full reports as I go along with the process. Right now, my 18" bbl shotgun has a better pattern at 100 yards than my Mini, but I expect that will change soon.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Texas Patriot. With a little tuning, your mini will become one of your favorites, as it has for me. :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and comments. I lusted for my Mini for a long time before I got the cash to buy it. That was in 1996. Then was sorely disappointed at its inaccuracy. But now there's hope. I just received the BW muzzle brake today from Midway. BTW, they only charge $13.33 for the same one that Cheaper Than Dirt charges $20 for. And for me, I'd also have to pay Texas sales tax if I bought from CTD, which I don't have to pay for purchases from Midway.

I'm gonna go to the range and shoot some groups WITHOUT the mb first. then I'll put it on at the range and shoot some more to see what improvement I get.

I've already been in touch with Mike K. and I'll get a bedding video and trigger job from him after the initial shoot with the mb. Then we'll see how it shoots with a bedding job, and a trigger tweaking.

I'll keep yall posted.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Texas Patriot. Sounds like your on your way to turn your mini into a shooter, as many have in this forum.

Ever notice how far your Ranch throws brass? Mike makes a gas port bushing kit which will greatly reduce brass throwing distance, brass damage, and recoil. He has a combo price if you get the bushing kit, and trigger job. It is quite a bit cheaper for the trigger job. You got a deal on the muzzle brake! ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cajungeo,
Yea. First time I went to shoot it at Carters Country, a local public range, it was slinging my empties about 30-40 feet and hitting the glass (still with lots of energy left) on the gunsmith/rangemaster hut. I didn't know it was going that far till they came out and put a box up next to me to stop the brass from hitting their window.

No wonder I never could find any brass after a good shoot. I'm gonna get the package deal from Mike K to include the gas bushing.

Thanks for all the good info.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Texas Patriot, I read in your post you use the Carter's Country. Which one? I live in Spring and use the original one, which is only 2 miles from my house.

Capt. Keogh
:2guns:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Capt.
Yep that's the one I go to. Carters has 4 stores but only one range. I was out there Friday shooting my Mini-14 Ranch before I sent the trigger to Mike K for a trigger job.

When I was there Friday, I shot a few rounds for proofing the "groups" then installed the BW mb. Shooting at 50 yards, I managed to get some 1"-1.5" 5 shot groups after the BW mb was installed. Not stellar by any means, but I'm gonna get a trigger job and also bed the stock. Hopefully, I can tune this sweet little gun into the kind of shooter that I can use for more than just taking space in my safe.

I'll be out there again after I get the trigger job and bedding done. I'll keep yall posted as to results.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just ordered the BW muzzle break and a ventilated choate handguard. Sometime this week I will be sending my trigger to Mike and also purchase his "combo" kit. I also just checked, and noiced that on one side of my gas block, the ruger factory has squeezed down the upper and lower pieces on one side so far, that they are touching. On the right side, there is a gap.

I figure after I have changed that, and with the modifications, I will have a pretty decent shooter.

You don't live in Spring do you?

Capt. Keogh

:2guns:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Capt. Keogh
As a matter of fact I do live in Spring, near the Champions area off of Louetta.

I got to looking at my gas block on my Ranch model and its not evenly gapped from front to back. Doesn't much matter any more since I'll be getting a new one from Mike K soon. This site has taught me lots about how the mini should be put together. It still amazes me that Ruger doesn't make the few changes necessary to produce a truely quality weapon from the factory.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What blows my mind about Ruger, is that they would ship it to the public while shooting at least 4 moa. You would think that they would be working on that.

I live in the Birnamwood Subdivision.......so like I said, about 2 miles from Carter's. My first job was working for them when I was a Sophomore in highschool. I guess we are pretty lucky to have a private range this close....so folks have to drive into other counties!

Capt. Keogh :2guns:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts