Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading and need some help. I am loading a 77 hornady v max with 35.9 grains of H4064 in .243. I went to shoot on bench and they don't group all that well. The gun shoots factory ammo sub MOA all day no matter what i feed it. Do I change the powder or the bullet first.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:You got alot of work to do my friend!You have to see how far the bullet rotating surface is from the lands to get the correct seating depth.You have to set the (coal)combined overall length)of the cartridge to the magazine and the chamber.Find out if you have any signs of adverse chamber pressures.And then begins the powder search!I have been successful in using 4831 in 243-YMMV.Lots of powders out there will work!Then time spent at range-checking various seating depths,and powder charges until you get the desired results.Now when you decide to change casing manufacturer,or primer type-back to the range again!It sounds like you need a reloading mentor.;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks magnonmark. I know I have a lot to learn. Lol!! I do believe I have the correct seating depth. I'm not sure how to check pressure but primers are not deformed or black. Was wondering if changing powder up or down would change impact enough or if I should go ahead and change powders all together. Correction/ 75 gr Hornady vmax with 35.9gr of Imr 4064/

·
Registered
98 Posts
"I am new to reloading and need some help. I am loading a 77 hornady v max with 35.9 grains of H4064 in .243."

First thing to do is look at your loading manual again. Mine shows that charge as a starting load, meaning it's so reduced that you aren't getting a consistant burn. All powders are manufactored to burn most consistantly in the designed use pressure range, both going too high and too low is poor for accuracy. I suspect if you approach the book max charge you will see significantly better results.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Not only does my Hornady manual not show any 77 gr V Max loads, they also don't show any with H4064. Mine shows a 75gr V Max loaded with 35.9gr of IMR4064 as being about the midrange load with 38.9 being the max. I have the 8th edition manual. Am I wrong or is H4064 a completely different powder than IMR 4064?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Sorry Woodstock. I corrected that in another reply. I have the same Hornady book. 35.9g/imr4064.
Well ok then, I would just keep inching up towards max load at about .5gr at a time while keeping a close eye on pressure signs and see what happens. It has been my experience that somewhere close to max is usually what shoots best. After you get the best powder charge dialed in is the time to start playing around with other things like seating depth. What the book gives you is not always the best seating depth for your rifle. It is a standard, or safe depth. There are methods of measuring the distance to the lands and then back off about .002 to .003 thousanths to get the best performance for your particular rifle. One thing at a time though. Get the powder charge right first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Woodstock. Just wasn't sure to go up or down. I have read very little about bullet seating depth but have been told by a few friends a couple different ways to fit them to my rifle. I was just making sure if I needed to get the load right first or the right bullet.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Thanks Woodstock. Just wasn't sure to go up or down. I have read very little about bullet seating depth but have been told by a few friends a couple different ways to fit them to my rifle. I was just making sure if I needed to get the load right first or the right bullet.
I always attempt to get the best powder charge figured out before I do anything else. You will usually find a charge that works best for a given bullet and powder combination but, you will also find out that some powders seem to be more accurate with certain bullets as well. If you go to reloading forums and ask what others use for a given bullet you will usually be able to narrow it down to a few powders to try. Never be afraid to ask question either. Most people would prefer to help than they would to see you get hurt.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I don't know about that but, I would guess the very thing you are loading. I once shot a golf ball off the top of a post at 100 yards with factory loaded Hornady 75gr vmax. Never did find that ball. Deadly accurate in my rifle anyway. Killed a lot of deer with the 100gr remington core lokt psp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts