Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Swapped a mini 30 for this lovely pair at a recent gun show. They are a marlin 94 in 44 mag and a TC contender in 223. I know absolutely nothing about the contender, but I have always been intrigued by the setup. Shot a few through it and it is a dream! any input to a newbie is greatly appreciated. currently doing some work on the stock. It is a right handed thumb hole and I'm a lefty so changes have to be made!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 21" tapered 223 carbine barrel it is one of my more accurate barrels/rifles that I own.

My 223 reloads with 40gr Hornady V-Max & a top load of H322 powder give me 3250fps and consistently result in 1 1/4" 3 shot 300 yard groups.

Good luck with that Contender you maybe surprised how accurate it is.

CC

·
Full Blown Member
62 Posts
Welcome to the addiction.
Once you get a pistol grip and a few barrels to 'start' your collection, the sky is the limit!
I've been through about three collections totalling around 200 or so bbls over the years but have weaned it to 23 barrels today.
You will find wildcat calibers abundant and learn alot about reloading. Refer to the sages for advice, recommendations, and aftermarket work on bbls ie. Bellm, D&T gunworks, SSK Ind., and of course E. Arthur Brown.
You are in for a wild ride, I assure you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the addiction.
Once you get a pistol grip and a few barrels to 'start' your collection, the sky is the limit!
I've been through about three collections totalling around 200 or so bbls over the years but have weaned it to 23 barrels today.
You will find wildcat calibers abundant and learn alot about reloading. Refer to the sages for advice, recommendations, and aftermarket work on bbls ie. Bellm, D&T gunworks, SSK Ind., and of course E. Arthur Brown.
You are in for a wild ride, I assure you!
You are correct it is an addiction and I do not know of a cure as of yet. Back in the 80's I bought my first TC Contender and an Encore around that time frame as well. The last five years I quit deer hunting when my wife died and I sold my hunting retreat. However the last few years I did hunt I did it with my Encore with a 7mm/08 15 inch barrel. I had about three or four barrels for the Encore and another three barrels for the Contender. I did take a couple of deer with the Encore before giving up hunting. Used the 410/45 15 inch barrel for a few squirrels and it worked fine. I don't remember ever shooting the Contender. About a year and a half ago I gave the Contender with the 30/30 barrel 14 inch, 22 stainless 14 inch barrel, and 45/410 14 inch, to my son. Well after I did that I started shooting my Ecore again and began to add a few more barrels to my collection. Also picked up another Encore blued and two Pro Hunter stainless frames to my collection. Ran accross a couple more Contenders and bought a few barrels for them and then I picked up a G2 as well. I now have 4 Encores and around 32 barrels and three Contenders with 12 different barrels. Oh did I mention I just bought three Encore long barrels and I hope it stops there. Oh I do reload and have for about 50 years, so that is a good thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts