Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few month's ago I bought a slightly used 582 series in Stainless, I always liked the look of M-14 so I set about finding a wood stock and wood handguard.
I also put an Accustrut Socom on it and I love the look but at my age I'm still "old-school". It just doesn't look right in stainless, I'd like to know what everyone thinks about changing the color of the metal. I considered just trading for a blued model but I like the idea of the properties of stainless.
I considered for a minute about painting it but come-on who would do that?
Anyone have any ideas as to a process to permanently change the color with out harming the steel? Any thoughts would be welcome, Thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I "paint" around 75 guns in a good year, plus my own. Many manufacturers now paint their guns. Done right it's very durable and attractive, but I understand it's not for everyone.

Your other options are fairly limited. You have two distinct areas, the cast receiver and the barrel, that I believe are not the exact same formula. There are products to blacken stainless steel but they're out of reach for home use and the majority of small shops. Smith and Wesson uses blackened stainless a lot in the M&P line, so if the Ruger metal composition is compatible it can be done somewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.