Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a few questions about some stuff on my ar...im not new to the gun scene but i dont really know alot about it, i grew up only shooting hunting rifles and shotguns...well i went out and bought a DPMS AR-15...i choice it cuz i have shot my cousins a few times and just really liked it...well to the questions. is it possible to take the front sights off and switch to a pop up sight...now i did what any beginner would do and tried looking it up and only thing i came up with is that the front sight is actually part of the gas system...so im alittle confused on how people switch the front sights out to pop ups...i do have a quad rail on the gun.

Second question,
What are some good pop up sights or are they just personal preference. I was looking at the Magpul sights or the Troy sight

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You have to remove the FSB (front sight base) which includes the front sight and gas block and replace it with a railed gas block so that you can put flip sights on it that mount to the rail. Either that or I believe it is YHM that makes a flip sight/gas block combination. Only downfall to that is then you still can't easily change the front sight if you want. Troy sights are good, a little pricey, Yankee Hill Machine makes a very nice set of spring loaded flip up sights.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Read up on AR gas systems in General

just got a few questions about some stuff on my ar...im not new to the gun scene but i dont really know alot about it, i grew up only shooting hunting rifles and shotguns...well i went out and bought a DPMS AR-15...i choice it cuz i have shot my cousins a few times and just really liked it...well to the questions. is it possible to take the front sights off and switch to a pop up sight...now i did what any beginner would do and tried looking it up and only thing i came up with is that the front sight is actually part of the gas system...so im alittle confused on how people switch the front sights out to pop ups...i do have a quad rail on the gun.

Second question,
What are some good pop up sights or are they just personal preference. I was looking at the Magpul sights or the Troy sight
Hello:
A couple of things to think about.

The pins are directional and they need a good rap to get out with the uppers I have worked on.

There are 3 different gas systems, rifle, mid length, and carbine. I suggest you read up on the gas systems and make the best choice. This is one of many articles on the subject.
Carbine vs. Mid-Length Gas System on a 16" Barrel [2010-01-10] - 03DESIGNGROUP

·
Registered
182 Posts
...well i went out and bought a DPMS AR-15...i choice it cuz i have shot my cousins a few times and just really liked it... is it possible to take the front sights off and switch to a pop up sight... the front sight is actually part of the gas system...so im alittle confused on how people switch the front sights out to pop ups...i do have a quad rail on the gun.

Second question,
Welcome to the Forum! :D

I understand why you liked your cousins AR, they're a total blast to shoot!

If you have a quad rail, I would assume that your barrel is already free-floated, which is one of the most accuracy enhancing things you can do to an AR-15.

Maybe you could add a flip-up sight to that rail?

A picture is worth a thousand words and that will be a great help to us.

Besides, we all just love pictures! :cool:

On mine I just cut off the front sight post and left the gas block portion so you can see that the lower portion of the front sight acts as the gas block and directs the gas to the bolt carrier group via the stainless gas tube.

If you decide to add a different gas block you can still reuse that gas tube that is pined to the front sight base.

Also deleting the cross (taper) pins on the front sight and adding set screws instead, (like I did to my sight base) removes stress on the barrel from those pins, and is another helpful way to aid in accuracy. (most picatinny gas blocks come with either set screws or clamping screws already installed on them)

Amazon.com: AR-15 .750 5.56/.223 Low Profile Gas Block Top and Bottom Picatinny Rail: Sports & Outdoors

Troy sights appear to be nicely made, but I got a great deal on my Magpul flip-up front sight assembly, so I went that route and I'm satisfied with its quality & durability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just got home from work and as promised here are some pics of the gun...and BRL i like what you did to the gun. The cutting idea is really cool but i just bought it and cant bring myself to cut on it lol...i was looking in the Cheaper Than Dirt magazine today and found a picatiny gas block i wanna try out...here are the pics

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can certainly understand your reluctance to hack away on your new rifle!

I just never had the patience it would take to wait for parts if I could figure something else out.

My friend bought his second hand (but never fired) DPMS with an aftermarket quad rail & gas block already installed and he's happy with it.

There are two different flip-up front sight heights...one for mounting on a quad rail handguard, and a different height for mounting on a gas block, (see picture) so keep that in mind when selecting a flip-up front sight.

I like the fact that your particular DPMS came with a forward assist, an ejection port door, and a case deflector, my friends DPMS didn't and I just happen to like them...just my personal taste.

Enjoy your rifle! :D

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
IMO... If you really want to get rid of that front sight, I'd replace it with one like BRL posted, a gas block that allows room for a free float hand guard in case you want to go that route later.
You have plenty of rail on the existing quad rail for a flip up sight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like BRL's setup...like i said i just dont want to start cutting on it so soon lol...im really leaning towards the low profile gas block and a flip up sight on the quad rail...just gotta wait till next friday when i get paid

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)Go for a setup where you can co witness or fold down when not needed.Batteries die at the most important times,and scopes get bumped when stuff happens-a back up set of already dialed in irons at the standby just might help you out in time of need!:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
;)Go for a setup where you can co witness or fold down when not needed.Batteries die at the most important times,and scopes get bumped when stuff happens-a back up set of already dialed in irons at the standby just might help you out in time of need!:D
thats what im most likely doing...ive got a new red dot, low profile gasblock, and flip up sights picked out just gotta wait a bit and pay off some bills

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also where is a good place to buy ammo...i mainly only want to run brass casings threw it because i ran 300 rounds of federal independence threw it and not a single problem...im just having a hard time finding ammo that wont put me on the ramen noodle meal plan lol...any suggestions where to look?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
also where is a good place to buy ammo...i mainly only want to run brass casings threw it because i ran 300 rounds of federal independence threw it and not a single problem...im just having a hard time finding ammo that wont put me on the ramen noodle meal plan lol...any suggestions where to look?
I've been sitting on my Unicorn, waiting in line at the end of the rainbow with only Bigfoot in front of me. I hope he doesn't hoard it all.

Reactions: Thatshortguy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hahaha i am starting to know yalls pain...i went shooting again this weekend and came home with 100 rounds :(...i look on gunbroker and bulkammo but im alittle iffy about buying from there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.