Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original sights on my 196 series GB were knocked around a bit, and a little beat up. I had planned on replacing them with a new set of originals, but Ruger apparently stopped making them within the last couple of years. I haven't been able to find them anywhere for a non-inflated price.

So last week I ordered up Tech Sights part # RR200 for a pre-2005 Mini 14. They arrived yesterday, and I installed them last night. Right away I was impressed with the quality, and can safely say they are comparable to the type of rear sights you'd see on a new Springfield M1A (I'll get to this later).

I was a bit apprehensive at first because of the .062 sized aperature, which is a bit smaller than the factory original. However, I was pleased to see that they work perfectly, and they line up nicely with the original mid barrel front sight/bayo combo found on the older GB's. I tried to get a photo of the line up for you other GB guys who might be interested, but I couldn't get a good picture of it to represent.

Installation was fairly straightforward, but the c-clip was a real b*tch to get cinched on. I guess this is good in the fact that it shouldn't pop out real easy. I really would've preferred a roll-pin type setup like the original, but it works.

I have read reviews in the past about how hard the adjustments were to manipulate, but found that my particular sight had no issues. Elevation and Windage adjustments clicked positively and precisely.

Overall, I'm happy with them. However, I did found one thing that really surprised me. When I first pulled the box out of the package, I immediately noticed the words "Made in Taiwan" stamped on the box. Out of all the reviews I have read, I have never found any mention of these sights being made outside of the US. Especially since there is no mention of it on their website, along with the fact that they show a little graphic of a waving American flag on their home page. I was under the assumption they were made in the USA. I guess not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to degrade the integrity of Tech-Sights by pointing this out. I have read a greater majority of positive reviews on their products, and my personal observations indicate that this is a quality product. It just would've been nice to know.

I have come to realize that the US that we live in today is dominated by a world market. Some positive, and some negative. I do know for a fact that Wayne Machine out of Taiwan (Wayne Machine Inc. - we supply gun parts and vehicle parts.) makes parts for the Springfield Armory M1A rifles, most notably, the sights. Which makes me wonder if Tech Sights have contracted Wayne Machine to do these sights? A long shot, but maybe? Either way, they appear good to go. I hope to do some field testing here soon, and will report any issues I might come across.

· †3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
HA my estimated delivery date was feb 14 for my M4S Rail for my mini 30. It got to champaign Il that morning and i was excited. a day later the status said "missent" and i got it the day after USPS for the loss :(

· †3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
I use them as my current sighting system and they were used in the snow video. They seem to have a really good solid ball detent for the adjustments. If they are mounted in accordance with the instructions, they are a very solid sights. I use a fmj bullet to adjust mine. For me with those sights. the further my eye is back from the rear sight, the easier I can center the front post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.