Perfect Union banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am a tinkerer, and I like getting the most utility out of my guns.

So far, here are my thoughts:

-John Mason sling. Sling is a must have to me.
-Rear sight... Do I want tech sights, or mojo sights? I tend to like wider apertures because my eyesight is less than perfect... anyone have experience with both? Is either complicated to install?
-Stock... I like the wood, but is there any "must have" stock out there that makes the SKS considerably lighter and more accurate? Lighter would be nice on the SKS, but then again, so is the wood. I'm not a tacticool kind of guy, but I do like having handy firearms.
-Muzzle brake. Mine is coming with one, but it is huuuge. Any smaller ones that install easily and work well?
-Trigger. How is the average SKS trigger? Is it even worth messing with?
-Scope mount. I love scope mounts that allow quick detach rings and do not impede use of iron sights.... Pleeeaaaaase tell me such a thing exists for the SKS :huh: . If not, forget it, I prefer irons over scope-only setups.

-Did I miss any "must have" items? (It already has a murray's pin.)

·
Registered
345 Posts
what type of sks do you have? yugo russian norinco? not to take away from anyone on this forum but head over to the sks survivors forum. ther is everything you ever wanted to know about the sks.

as far as trigger goes there is links for trigger work as well as one for murrays gunsmithing for modifying the firing pn to prevent slam fires.

i have a yugo sks with grenade launcher and bayonet still attached sitting in a tapco pistol grip stock with detachable 20 rd mags. all that is legal here in oh but ot sure where you are. i have been thinking about upgrading the sights but not sure which way to go. everybody has an opinion so after reading others reviews it is still a toss up as to which is better.scope mounts are another animal. most say to stay away from the receiver cover scope mounts a few have good luck.

i mainly use my sks as a plinker so accuaracy is not top on my list. as long as i can hit an 8 inch circle at 100 yards im good. the sks will never be a moa shooter but it is a tough reliable rifle.

as far as ammo goes i shoot the uly white box from ctd. it is under 4 dollars a box and after 1500 thru my yugo i had one dud. aimsurplus is another good site to check. you have to check often as they get different stuff all the time.they are local for me so i don't know about their shipping charges.

one more thing is check out surplusrifle.com they have some good articles about upgrading sks sights and lots of pictures to walk you thru it.

hope all this helped and i did not bore you to sleep

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've got some ideas for ya...but first, a couple of questions...

What kind of SKS is it?

Also, what is your intended primary purpose for this rifle? Plinking? Hunting? Range time? HD?

·
(*.:.*)
495 Posts
-Rear sight... Do I want tech sights, or mojo sights? I tend to like wider apertures because my eyesight is less than perfect... anyone have experience with both? Is either complicated to install?
The Tech Sights give you the advantage of a longer sight radius. IMHO, they are also easier to see for someone without perfect vision.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys, it's a Yugoslovian SKS M59/66, with bayonet and grenade launcher. It's pre-ban so it is legal in my state. I'll be using it as mostly a cheap range plinker, secondary HD gun, and maybe a brush gun if I ever get into hunting. I'm not looking for super accuracy, just enough to get the most out of my cheap 7.62. My old AK was 6-8" at 50 yards. That was pathetic to me for a modern firearm. If the SKS can do that 100, I would be pretty contented. Can someone tell me about the gas shutoff thing? I heard that SKS's can shut off thier gas system so it will function similar to a bolt action when shooting for accuracy, is that true with my model?

I might remove the grenade launcher, even though it's preban and useless without grenades (which I obviously don't have) I would feel a little better with it removed being that my state is a little funny about guns. Besides... it really would just be extra weight for no reason.

I will head over to the SKS forums and read up on the parts laws. I'm thinking I might just polish the trigger sears, get the tech-sites, then call it finished. No sense in dancing near the flames. I like to play it extra safe with my rifles, losing them over a legal misunderstanding would break my heart.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the gas shutoff is for launching grenades. to launch a grenade you shut off the gas tube and load a blank made for it then pull the trigger. after firing you pull bach the bolt and extract the round.

as far as removing it really wont take off much weight.the sks is just a heavy rifle. some syn stocks are actually heavier than factory wood. if you have private propert to shoot on you can buy a golf or tennis ball launcher to use with the grenade attachment.

i really like the tapco stock on mine. the pistol grip and adjustable butt is really comfortable. and the detachable mags are great. tapco mags seem to be the best around and you can get in 10 if 20 is a no no in your state. if you want to change stocks the gas tube cover can be a pain in the @#$. i ruiined mine and had to replace. get with me before you do it and i will help you thru it so you don't make the same mistakes i did.

the other thing you will see is that the barrel is not chromed lined. if you are not shooting thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo with out cleaning it won't make a difference. just clean well and run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel and it will last.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
GDKPIKPWG,

Sounds like you have reasonable expectations for your Yugo SKS rifle. ;)

The good news is that you should get much better than 6-8" at 100 yards with your SKS, especially if you add the Tech-Sights for the SKS, and do a little polishing work on the trigger group.

With regards to your question about turning the Yugo SKS into a single-shot, you simply need to manipulate the gas shut-off valve. Here's a how-to video:

Click here

FWIW, I would leave the grenade launcher on there, just in case you decide to ever sell the rifle. Plus, it looks like it could be a pain in the butt to remove. Here's a couple of reference links to know what you have in front of you, if you decide to go that route.:

Click here 1
Click here 2

IMHO, it seems like a bit more than I'd want to tackle for a few ounces of weight savings. But, it looks like it can be done...with some effort. You might want to confer with a gunsmith first.

As far as a stock, you might want to consider a Chinese "jungle stock". I currently have one of these on one of my Norinco SKS rifles. It's light and handy, and it keeps the rifle in it's original configuration. Plus, if you really wanted to, you could paint it to suit your needs/tastes.

Actually, I just came across a new source for these...and at a very reasonable price too.

Here's a link to a recent post where you will find another link to where you can find the jungle stocks (sorry to bump you around):

Click here

Aside from that, here's what I'm currently considering for an SKS scope mount:

Click here

You see, I have a newly-acquired Norinco SKS that I have decided to "modify" a bit. FYI...The other SKS rifles in my collection will remain in their natural state. But, I definitely want turn the latest SKS into a "project rifle" of sorts. So, I'm thinking this scope mount, along with a red-dot sight, or a long eye-relief hunting scope would be a cool set-up. :cool:

OK, last recommendation...

For safety reasons, you may want to consider getting an 'upgraded' firing pin from Murray's Gunsmithing. This will help to mitigate slam fires, which the SKS rifle is known for. I believe they may also do some trigger work for the SKS rifle. However, I would call them up to verify this.

I hope this helps you out, brother. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alaj, that was great, my questions are answered. I'll be leaving the grenade launcher I think, I thought it was a muzzle brake (doh...). My only excuse for that one is that I have not yet held the rifle. I'm going to ask some of the local guys around here if the recommend taking the GL off or not. I know it is legal because of the date of manufacture, but D.A.'s out here dont always need to be right.

That scope mount looks awesome, I wonder if the tech sights rear would clear over it when set for a reasonable distance.

That stock is uuuugly in that photo, but for $24.99 I might get it just so I can preserve my wood stock from wear and tear, and painted OD Green it might be pretty mean looking.

Thanks a lot, I don't even have any more questions to ask at sks survivors.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The issue with Yugos, is that they are imported in original military form. The have the GL or sights at least, and a MB if no GL. You really need to ask your questions over at sksboards.com. There is far more info, and changing things with our rifle can get complicated - especially Yugo's.

BTW, if you just got it, how do you know its pre-ban?
NYS ban date is in '94, so a cold war relic is well past that date. I do not personally know the seller very well, but he is a well respected member of a local shooting community.

But yea, from what I read on SKS boards, you can polish the trigger group, replace the firing pin with the safer murrays pin, but other than that the rifle needs to stay as is. I still have a lot to read over there, then questions to ask for the senior members there, but from the initial overview I read they need to be in pretty original condition. However, I also read that the ATF allows some modifications, hopefully a rear sight is one of them. I'll post back if I ever find out, but there is still a lot of reading to do.

Comicially enough, removing the grenade launcher would immediately make the SKS illegal... I never imagined that the anti 2A laws would be requiring me to keep a grenade launcher. Silliness. :rolleyes:

It's funny. Due to the SKS's design, it is free of most of the AWB's that have been in place... so instead they made this ridiculous trade agreement that just illegalizes the act of sporterizing it. We live in great country, but with some reaaaaallly stupid people in charge.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
That stock is uuuugly in that photo, but for $24.99 I might get it just so I can preserve my wood stock from wear and tear, and painted OD Green it might be pretty mean looking.

Thanks a lot, I don't even have any more questions to ask at sks survivors.
You're welcome, brother. ;)

With regards to the stock, I have to admit, the "uuuugly" color actually grew on me. :p

In fact, I bought a couple more from the source I offered. I intend to paint one of them, and keep the other one around for an "extra".

And, you're right...for the money ($25), it's worth having an extra stock to preserve your original wood stock, just in case you want to sell the rifle later on. Besides, it can be painted any color you want, including a cool "camo" paint job.

Sorry to hear about the tech-sites. What a bunch of jokers running things, huh? And, most of these laws make absolutely no sense. :wacko:

Anyway, keep us posted on things.

Lastly, CQB is right...lots of good info on the sksboards.com. ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I learned a lot the last day or so.

On legality:
-Almost any modification would kill the C&R status, then force me to make the SKS 922(r) compliant.
-Scope mounts, murrays firing pin, non original sights, or a new wooden stock (replica of original) are a few of the only exceptions to this rule. (So no knockaround stock for me :-( ).
-Murray's website has a PDF available for public download with all of this information in a letter they recieved from the BATF.
-There are some special exceptions where parts can be changed for "shooting purposes" but must be changed back and may not be permanent. What defines "shooting purposes" is another legacy of vauge wierdness that I did not even get in to.

Other:
-Mojo sights are a very quick and painless install that can be changed back and forth with no permanent defacing of your firearm.
-Mojo sights also makes a similar product for the mosin nagant-- No hurting the historic value of your Mosin or SKS. Win!
-Tech sights will at best mark your reciever cover, and may even require filing or shaping the reciever and/or stock in some models.

So, in short, I will polish up my trigger to crisp it up a little, order the mojo sights for SKS and my Mosin, and I'll let you guys know how things turn out after I get to the range. Other than that, my SKS will be staying non-sporterized since I really do not want to lose the bayonet. At least not until the novelty wears off.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Sounds good! Keep us posted on the results.

And, of course...we're going to need some pics to look at soon. :p

Cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For sure... I'm slacking on pics lately, at least 3 firearms behind. I'll try to get some up tomorrow, and will for sure post some when I get the mojo sights with a review.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It would not hurt to have a 2-year (min.) supply of ammo, if you are quite sure that you will keep the gun.
Maybe you have enough to last a good while?

My priority before buying each gun is to first see a case of ammo at the front door, and have no doubt that more is available at affordable prices.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just installed the Mojo sights. Here are my thoughts so far...

-Install: Easy as can be. Took about 30 seconds with a partner (one person has to hold the sight leaf spring down while the other removes old sight then inserts the new).
-Sight picture: Really good. I've seen better iron sights, but very few. It is about as twice as good as the mini-14 sight picture thanks to the front sight not being some bizzare trident shape. When you line up the rear ring with the top of the ring from your front sight guard, you get a really nice centered picture that is not blurry or hard to focus on.
-Adjustments: Could be better, could be worse. Windage adjustment is easily done with supplied allen key, so no more front sight tool needed. Elevation is a simple screw, same allen key. Adjusts easy, but has no way to mark out different elevations.
-Looks: Really good, looks very natural on rifle. (the microclick mosin mojo sight stands out a bit)

Range report as soon as I can get out there...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So am I... it's COLD today though, waiting till it's in the 50's to go out there. Hopefully later on this week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts