Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, lcm. By the way, the correct link is:

http://www.ultimak.com/M4prev.htm

This looks like the ticket - someone is finally doing the scout mount right. All of the other Mini-14 scout mounts I've seen are too high; for some reason, the manufacturers think they need to be "see through" to allow use of iron sights which, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of a scout mount.

The photo posted at UltiMAK's "sneak preview" page indicates that the mount is quite long and appears to attach to the gas block at the muzzle end - if it also attaches to the barrel, it may stiffen the barrel and possibly enhance accuracy. I know this effect has been reported for M1A scout mounts.

Please let us know if UltiMAK responds to your e-mail, I'd like to hear more about this mount.

Brad

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
djskit & brad d
I agree, if in fact this mount allows for co-witnessing of iron sights as advertized it will be a good accessory for the mini.
Still no response from UltiMAX !

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's a pretty neat set-up, wonder what they have it fixed to to make it solid?? Anyhow, looks like a much better option than what i was considering for a red dot, I was going to mount one in the rings that came with my ranch. I a larger red dot up front would be better than a 1" tube over the action. Hopefully it's in production soon and priced reasonably.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
It seems logical that a red dot mounted fwd would become smaller, i.e. a 5 moa dot mounted rearward, may become a 3 moa dot mounted fwd? Any one know for shure? That mount does look slick. I too am curious on how the fwd end mounts to the barrel. It would have to be some type of clamp. Yes I agree it could stiffen up the barrel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cajungeo
Don't know about red dot for sure but I would think a 5moa dot is the same if it's mounted to the receiver or the scout mount.
Still no response back from UltiMAK re: my E-mail.
Over at assautweb.net good feedback on their AK scout mount

"2 range sessions with mount fired 30 rd mag fast, barrel hot mount & scope cool very happy with combo"

" mounted quick and clean held up extremly well,held zero even when rapid fire 120 rds"

"ultimak is a good inovation that has just begun to be tapped in terms of its potential"

I believe the SCOUT will be bolted to the barrel at each end ???
just like ak mount and may well aid in stiffing barrel.
Lets hope this works as good as it looks !!

·
Registered
567 Posts
After downloading the image & magnifying it I couldn't tell how it was mounted. It may just be an artists conception of the mount on a Mini. I would think that it would use the upper gas block as a forward mount. Whatever it uses as the rear mount will have to be very slim to provide clearence for the operating rod. At the least it makes a fine looking hand gaurd, expensive one at that. I'll be interested to see how this developes.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bushwack

How is it mounted ??? Can only spectulate. Could be similar to the aimtech mount, specs on that say 4" steel clamp to grip the barrel. Also states several users reported dramatic accuray improvements with mount due to reduction in barrel vibration/whip. Don"t own one so don"t know if info is accurate. A search of posts indicates that users of this scout mount seem to like the product. I"m more intrested in the ultimak because its low and would allow co-wittness with red dot scope.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sure looks to me like Fastang50 is correct. Looks like it bolts right to the lower half of the gas block, replacing the factory upper half.
Then perhaps is clipped on like the standard factory hand guard but maybe further back toward the receiver, where the barrel is more substantial.

I see it adding 1/2 a pound to the weight at least.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've missed out in the invention department again!

That machined chunk of artistry has some potential. It looks like it bolts onto the lower gas block. How it's attached at the rear is anybody's guess. Looking at my mini-14, it looks like there's room for a .3" wide band clamp to go around the barrel. The mechanical stability might not be all that solid. But I hope I'm wrong.

KC

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the mount looks like a winner, the only experience I have had with the scout mount is from firing a 50 alaskan guide gun. I dont think I'll have the same flinching problem with a 223.

Anyone out there put into laymans terms how this affects parallax, sight aquisition, point of aim.....ect.

consider me stupid when replying
:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts