Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looks good, might have to give it a shot (pun intended :))

TG

·
Banned
258 Posts
Well I certainly don't miss Bill.

I thank him for what he did at the start, but it's clear that the company that was his namesake, has moved on in a better direction I think.

Biker

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I certainly don't miss Bill.

I thank him for what he did at the start, but it's clear that the company that was his namesake, has moved on in a better direction I think.

Biker
I can't say I don't miss Bill. He was a traditionalist, for sure, and a lot of the products Ruger puts out I am sure he is spinning in his grave over (the LCR comes to mind.) But, Bill was a gun guy. He may have been an old time gun guy, but one none the less. With no one from the family running the company anymore, it is just another gun company now to me. Yes, they are putting out products now that people want. No doubt about it. But, they are also doing things I don't agree with, such as the plastic trigger guards on 10/22s, the cheap coatings on their rifles, instead of real bluing, putting mag disconnects on some of their pistols, discontinuing the Old Army (which Bill made clear would never be done while he was alive). I could go on, and I do realize a lot of this is pure business decisions, but that is what I mean. Bill would not have allowed this to happen. He was a gun guy, and he would not put out a product he would not buy himself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's damn CooL!

I've been using the Tactical Innovations aluminum mags in my 10/22's, I've yet to have one problem with them, but they ain't cheap.

The new Ruger's are only $29.00, and can be cleaned. When I recover from the $400 I just mailed off to the ATF I'm going to try out a few of these.

·
Banned
258 Posts
I can't say I don't miss Bill. He was a traditionalist, for sure, and a lot of the products Ruger puts out I am sure he is spinning in his grave over (the LCR comes to mind.) But, Bill was a gun guy. He may have been an old time gun guy, but one none the less. With no one from the family running the company anymore, it is just another gun company now to me. Yes, they are putting out products now that people want. No doubt about it. But, they are also doing things I don't agree with, such as the plastic trigger guards on 10/22s, the cheap coatings on their rifles, instead of real bluing, putting mag disconnects on some of their pistols, discontinuing the Old Army (which Bill made clear would never be done while he was alive). I could go on, and I do realize a lot of this is pure business decisions, but that is what I mean. Bill would not have allowed this to happen. He was a gun guy, and he would not put out a product he would not buy himself.
Howdy Kevin,

It seems that while Bill was innovative for his time, that time past him by and he didn't change with the times.

I understand your wanting some things to remain as they were, I do too. Overall though I think Ruger has vastly improved. Bill Ruger had the vision and innovation to get the company rolling, thanks in no small part to Alex Sturm, who doesn't get near enough credit IMHO. Bill Ruger always made sure that Alex was recognized, and for that I respect him.

I think what we have could be considered a generational thing. Ruger, Bill's generation, got the company off the ground. That was very innovative and risky. Then when sucessful they proceeded to rest, as their business battles were basically over. They reaped the rewards of past efforts. That's a normal and natural evolution. Because Bill held the company for so long future innovation was stifled and restricted. Now that new leadership has taken over they are showing their innovative period. In time, if the leadership doesn't change, they too will rest on their laurels.

It's a rare company or individual that remains innovative throughout it's lifetime. Do I agree with every decision that Ruger makes, both old and new? Heck no! Overall though I am happy to see the direction that Ruger is taking. They should've done it long before this.

Biker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody got these yet?

Ruger has finally charged my credit card for some of these mags. Anybody actually received and tried them out? Seen no range reports yet.
Thx.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got 3 of them in early last week. I've put about 1500 rds thru them since then. The only problem was with the very first mag but I'm fairly sure it was operator error. I wasn't being careful loading it, being a little anxious to try them out. Since that first mag, they've been flawless.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just got 2 of them delivered today. They appear to be stout. Is that a word??. When I placed my order they were on backorder. It took about a week and a half to my door. Not bad. I will test them sometime this weekend hopefully....Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ruger has finally charged my credit card for some of these mags. Anybody actually received and tried them out? Seen no range reports yet.
Thx.
Answering my own post, mine showed up yesterday. They were on back order. I had ordered 3. All 3 have functioned just fine. Ran 75 rounds thru each one. Very beefy feeling mags, typical Ruger.

They are currently "in stock"... so ordered 2 more.
(Hey, I have 3 10/22's to feed!)

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I have just over 100rds. through my new ruger mag so far with no issues. Very easy to load and functioned 100%. I need to shoot it a little more but, I like it. :)

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
Anyone take one apart yet? How about the length compared to say a B.C. steel lip? I'm glad they are working out and am kinda getting an itch for some.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
Cabellas had a few, picked one up, but have not shot it yet.
The feel is excellent however, and compared to the Butler Creek Stainless Steel Lip setups that mostly work well in my 1022, I'm pleased with how it feels.

It's too bad they only come in black so far. I'm wondering if they will do a smoked, or clear version? The material appears to be glass reinforced plastic, so that's not well suited for clear versions. If so, I'll keep the flat black of this magazine.

I have about 10 various 25, 30 and even 50 round mags for the 1022, and depending on the ammo, and moon phase? They all work at times, and don't at others.

If this one is dead nuts reliable, I'm going to get 5 or 6 more, and call it good.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
Cabellas had a few, picked one up, but have not shot it yet.
The feel is excellent however, and compared to the Butler Creek Stainless Steel Lip setups that mostly work well in my 1022, I'm pleased with how it feels.

It's too bad they only come in black so far. I'm wondering if they will do a smoked, or clear version? The material appears to be glass reinforced plastic, so that's not well suited for clear versions. If so, I'll keep the flat black of this magazine.

I have about 10 various 25, 30 and even 50 round mags for the 1022, and depending on the ammo, and moon phase? They all work at times, and don't at others.

If this one is dead nuts reliable, I'm going to get 5 or 6 more, and call it good.
Is the Ruger more compact than the Butler Creek? I have a Ramline that has the wind up spring and is much shorter, but it is all plastic so don't want any more.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
No, it's the same basic size/design of the Butler Creek ones. Single stack, flat spring and polymer slider/guide in what appears to be fiber reinforced plastic housing, with a stainles feed lip area that is very much like the 10 round rotating mags that the 1022 has used since the start.

I have not taken it apart yet, but only looked at the exploded view graphics, as well as looking at the magazine compared to the Steel Lipped Butler Creek ones.

The small details on the Ruger mag are just like those on the 10 round rotating mags. The details on the Steel Lip Butler Creek ones are not.

I need to get out and use this new mag, and see if it's picky on ammo, or will feed anything. (My stock 10 round mags will feed anything, everytime.)

I have had the wind up 50 rounder, and it always worked too. The 50 round staggered Ram Line however is very picky about ammo, and how clean it is. When it works, 50 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, but when it's fed the wrong bullet design, or is dirty, it's a jam-o-matic every 10 rounds or so.

Most of my metal lipped magazines work well in the 1022. The "hotlips" polymer ones wor pretty well too. I have an old Eagle that worked well for a few years, but is worn out, and is now very picky about being clean, and what ammo I'm shooting.

On another note, I just coated my 1022, and ported/polished the chamber and moly coated the inside of the reciever, bolt and firing pin. It is going through a break in period, much like a new gun, but once it warms up slightly, seems to run really well with nearly no lube at all. (Coatings are all dry lubricants.)

If I like how the coatings perform, I'm going to do it on more weapons I own.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Is the Ruger more compact than the Butler Creek? I have a Ramline that has the wind up spring and is much shorter, but it is all plastic so don't want any more.
The short Ramline magazines are double stacked. This design does not feed reliably with a .22. That's why Ruger made these a single stack design. That's the only way to get a hi-cap magazine to feed reliably.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Another 150rds. this past weekend through the ruger mag without issue. This is a very good mag. My BC steel lipped mag is also very reliable but the ruger mag is easily broken down for cleaning and I paid the same amount exactly for the two mags. 250rds total without a magazine problem so far from the new ruger 25rd. magazine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts