Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just baught a new ruger 10/22 from wally world. Out of the box this gun has jammed. I have tried 5 types of ammo so I dont want to hear that the ammo is the problem.I tried federal,winchester,remington thunder bolts, cci mini mags, and blazer. I baught 2 new clips for the gun one aftermarket and one factory. They all three cause jams. Now I am not talking every 50th round jams I am talking 4 out of the 10 rounds will "stove-Pipe" If you will. The gun is clean without any oil. very little lubricant. The only thing I see that might be wrong is that the end of the extractor where it grabs the shell is cut or mabye chipped at a 45 deg. angle. half way across the end. Is this normal??! It just keeps not wanting to spit the shell out of the action. It always feeds a shell to the chamber but it just doesnt always kick it out.This causes a heck of a jam. I dont know what to do!!! Please Help me!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would suspect that if you cleaned the weapon before you shot it, it is the extractor. Lots of folks have problems thinking that the lub in the gun is an oil. It is not. It is a preservative and all of it needs to be removed.

Purchase an extractor, after market, and your problems should quit. My suggestion would be an Volquartsen "Exact Edge" extractor. Will make all the difference in the world. They run about $9.90 from On Target (Http://www.ontargetguns.com.
The hook is .005" closer to the rim of the cartridge to allow for the most positive extraction available. (oh ya, put the bolt in a plastic bag when you remove the extractor. There is a little spring that will pop out, and fly off into never-never land.)

While your at it, purchase a Volquartsen 10/22 target hammer. $31.30. This will drop your trigger pull in half. Same place. (Buy ONLY the target hammer, and NOT the full set up.)

:D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum mallardsx2. Sorry to hear about your problem, but I believe you found it.
The only thing I see that might be wrong is that the end of the extractor where it grabs the shell is cut or mabye chipped at a 45 deg. angle. half way across the end. Is this normal??!
It should be 90 degrees, and a sharp point to grasp the case rim. Look at your manual part # B-14.

Its a small thing causing a big problem. I'd call Ruger, and describe your chiped extractor. (have your serial ready) They will most likely send you a new one at no charge. They cost $1.30 at http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp...odel=1910z10-22
Walmart says they will not exchange guns, so call ruger and order an extractor.

It's easy to change out take bolt out, using a small screwdriver depress the plunger a little jiggle, and it comes out. Don't loose the plunger or spring.

Hey coyote didn't see your post. He is correct Ruger has a preservative on and in all metal parts, not oil, clean out the chamber real good with bore solvent, and a brush, lite oil, then wipe off.

I've had 3 10/22s never had a broken extractor. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the info. If I am hearing you all correctly The ejector should be at all right angles correct? looking at it from the action side mine is cut at a 45x .02 angle. Also this little spring I never noriced which one is that? I have completly disesembled my gun and I hope that I havnt lost it already!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
mallardsx2 here is an extractor. I hope this is better. Does yours look like this or is the claw part chiped? Mine looks there is a slight radius on one side.

Have you removed the preservative from the chamber/bore?

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey Cajun!

Did you finally break down and buy a digital camera? :D

TheGermanGuy :sniper:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yes, its a good one, but the operator needs some work. I'm going to replace my pics as I learn to use it. It shure is handy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cajungeo, Can you give me a picture of the front and back view? My extractor looks like that but I cant tell if the tip is the same turn it 90 deg. and take another picture please. Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Cajun, you should charge him per picture... lol... just kidding of course. :D

I love having my digital camera. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well. They're so damn handy! Makes it real easy for me to stay in touch with my family back in "the old country". And on top of it, you can instantly see the picture you just took, and delete it if came out like the one you see above... JUST KIDDING!!! A little. :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey mallardsx2. Have you noticed I replaced the pic with new, and improved ones?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Damn!

Those are some nice pictures. Now you should REALLY charge... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pictures! My extractor looks like it has a little more of a chamfer on the tip than yours I hope this is the problem. I am calling inm a order tomorrow for a new extractor. If this isnt the problem what else could be the problem for it not wanting to spit out the empties? Oh ya I still dont know what is he talking about some little spring that is going to go flying?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey cajuungeo, I gave up drinking a few years ago, but I wen't out and got a 12ver and that is a 10/22 extractor. LoL, Thanks for helping all us.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Your welcome Bear. I'm still learning. Building my 10/22's, the members questions, and suggestions are my best motivators for learning more.

mallardsx2 its the Extractor Spring, and Extractor Plunger. Part # B-15, B-16.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mallardsx2
Sent you a Email.
Just saw this post. Sorry if Im late.
If you have not ordered a new extractor yet
send me you address and Ill send you one.
I have several, they are all factory and hardly or never used. I have replaced all of mine with VQ extractors.
The spring is in the bolt behind the extractor its what holds it in place and applies the pressure on it.
Have a good day
Les

1 - 16 of 16 Posts