Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did most of the steps and re primed my brass but forgot to resize/debur first.

This is my first batch and I have 800 primed but not resized/deburred /.223 rounds done.

Can I trim/debur with the new primers in??

I know I messed up but now what??

thanks for any help someone can offer.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You primed them without resizing? How did you push out the old primers?
OR do you mean that you (may) need to trim them?
Trimming with the primers in, depends on what type of trimmer you have. The LEE type NO you can't, a Lathe type or a die type YES you can.
Chamfering the case mouth can also be done with a primed case. Just make sure that you dump out any brass shavings.

IF it was me, I'd set my caliper to the maxcase length, than pass all my primed cases through the jaws. If they'll go through, load them as is, if not than trim as required.

·
garf
6 Posts
First things first, Are the cases new or been fired.

If brand new take your sizing die apart and remove just the pin that pushes out the primer. Then resize, your not the first person to do this.;)

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I think the above two ports put things in perspective. One is how would one prime without taking the primer out first. Well this can be done with brass already de-primed. I already de-prime before cleaning. So you have 800 primed that you now want to resize. If you have a lee die you might have some problems. If you have other dies you can simply removed the decapping pin like it was suggested above. With lee you could buy a new sizing pin (only a few dollars) and remove the decapper pin from your existing one and start on the 800. After they are resized you can check length. They may or may not need to be trimmed. If they do, it all depends on your trimmer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, it's taken care of. I just carefully de-primed each live primer then trimmed to length (went out and bought a case trimmer), de-burred, primed,powdered and loaded bullet. Now I'm waiting for a new crimping die to arrive for the finishing step.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For clarification I had originally primed without "trimming to length". Sorry bout the confusion, still new with the new lingo lol.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd like to see a video of someone removing live primers!
It's easy (and fairly safe), just run them through a decapping die.
Primers require a crushing impact to detonate, slow pressure won't do it.
You can place a primer into a vise and crush it totally flat without setting it off, BUT hit that same flattened primer with a hammer and it will go BANG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts